PDA

View Full Version : Bailey 5C in blue

Charles Rogers
12-01-2015, 3:00 PM
I picked up a USA made 5C that needs some attention before it gets any real use. As best I can tell, it is of post 1933 manufacture due to the kidney shaped cap. I also suspect it is from the later period of the 5C being made in the US due to the blue japanning instead of black. Here's where I'm stuck. I cannot find an enamel that approaches the shade of blue originally used on the plane. The closest available is a Rustoleum enamel in navy blue. It's too blue. Here's my options as I see them. 1) Pretend it's older than it really is and enamel it black. 2) Enamel it the wrong shade of blue and call it good enough. 3) Re-assemble it, rust and all, and use it as is (not good in my mind). I would like it to be as original as possible. What do you think?

mark kosse
12-01-2015, 5:06 PM
Charles, your probably the only person who has ever wanted to paint one 60's blue. :). I've never used one but I doubt that it's as bad as some say. One of my favorites is a 70's English #4c, but it's black.

so, as far as blue you might try the auto stores instead of box stores and see if there is a closer color. Or, paint it black Like my newer than your plane is. I don't really think you'll be deceiving anyone.

Jim Koepke
12-01-2015, 5:40 PM
If you want to match the original color you will have to learn to mix colors.

More than I would do for a repaint.

In the past members have painted their planes white, green and brick red. Kind of a neat way to customize your own fleet.

jtk

Bill Houghton
12-01-2015, 9:04 PM
I suspect a good auto paint store could match the color and mix you up some suitable paint. Whether the cost would be worth the outcome is something only you can decide.

It is a pretty color (more so than the hideous cordovan/maroon of the late planes), but I doubt the color improves the efficiency.

By the way, I believe, from the wear patterns I've seen on a few blue planes, that it's paint, not japanning. Japanning is cooked hard; paint is just paint.

lowell holmes
12-01-2015, 11:20 PM
I just restored an old plane and had good luck with Black Rust-oleum spray enamel.

You might look for blue.

Charles Rogers
12-03-2015, 1:17 PM
Charles, your probably the only person who has ever wanted to paint one 60's blue. :). I've never used one but I doubt that it's as bad as some say. One of my favorites is a 70's English #4c, but it's black. so, as far as blue you might try the auto stores instead of box stores and see if there is a closer color. Or, paint it black Like my newer than your plane is. I don't really think you'll be deceiving anyone. You may well be right, I'm probably the only person ever to want to paint it the original blue. Then again, I never claimed to be normal. ;)
I suspect a good auto paint store could match the color and mix you up some suitable paint. Whether the cost would be worth the outcome is something only you can decide. It is a pretty color (more so than the hideous cordovan/maroon of the late planes), but I doubt the color improves the efficiency. By the way, I believe, from the wear patterns I've seen on a few blue planes, that it's paint, not japanning. Japanning is cooked hard; paint is just paint. If the original blue was just paint, that was some stubborn paint. I worked the body of the plane pretty hard yesterday on the wire wheel. That paint didn't want to come loose. Anyhow, I coated it last night with the somewhat close navy blue, and it looks horrible. I'll try to strip it again and spray it with black this time.

Sean Hughto
12-03-2015, 2:39 PM
If were me,and I was, I just choose a good quality paint in a color I liked. It's a Stanley 5 ... so uh, no need to worry about hurting value or spitting in the face of antiquities and so on. Make it into a worker you enjoy.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3274/3029105774_d55b79555e_o.jpg

lowell holmes
12-04-2015, 2:21 PM
If were me,and I was, I just choose a good quality paint in a color I liked. It's a Stanley 5 ... so uh, no need to worry about hurting value or spitting in the face of antiquities and so on. Make it into a worker you enjoy.

+1 for what Sean said.

John Crawford
12-04-2015, 11:38 PM
If were me,and I was, I just choose a good quality paint in a color I liked.

Ok, now I want a green one like that!

Roger Green
12-04-2015, 11:58 PM
GREEN sounds good to me! Roger GREEN

Frederick Skelly
12-05-2015, 6:59 AM
I'm with Sean and Lowell.

In my case, I strip and paint all of mine just like Henry Ford - black.

Edit: Glad to see you posting again Sean!

Fred

Joe Tilson
12-05-2015, 7:18 AM
I found a can of old Ford blue at an auto parts store. It matched very well.
You might try there. Let us see it when your done.
Finally found it; Dupli-color BFM0187 Dark Blue Met

Thomas Schneider
12-05-2015, 8:11 PM
Great job, I love the green!

Patrick Bernardo
12-05-2015, 8:47 PM
+1 on the green. I have an old blue that needs an update. Might go green too. (I hope that Stanley execs aren't watching this thread, though...)

Charles Rogers
12-05-2015, 9:06 PM
The plane is basically finished. I have a Hock iron on order for it. Overall, I'm pleased even with the crusty cap. Just for grins, I'll include a picture of the Bailey's starting point as well as one with my own green plane, heh.

steven c newman
12-05-2015, 9:20 PM
Seem to remember that Clifton used a green colour on theirs.....Sargent used a green on their entry level Hercules brand of planes. Kunz uses green on all of theirs...

Happen to have a Stanley No. 4, Type 20...Made in England smoother in Blue
Might be a bit faded?
Seemed to clean up nicely, though.
But that black plastic adjuster wheel just had to go.
Anyone need a plastic knob?

lowell holmes
12-06-2015, 8:57 AM
Did anyone ever see a yellow hand plane. Just wondering.

steven c newman
12-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Two-Tone Stanleys...ugly ones..