PDA

View Full Version : Trivets

Bill Ryall
12-01-2015, 2:48 PM
Let me preface by saying until 5 minutes ago when SWMBO texted me and told me she needs a set ASAP, I had no idea what one was. I never knew those under-the-pot thingies even had a name.

That being said... is there a standard size for these things? And what is the recommended finish, since they apparently sit under hot pots?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Ellen Benkin
12-01-2015, 3:05 PM
I would be interested in plans. designs, sizes also. Could we think of these as very thin, small, cutting boards?

Joe Kieve
12-01-2015, 3:22 PM
We used to make bulletin boards in the shop I worked in a number of years ago. The boards were just 1/4" masonite with cork contact cemented to them. Most times we had left overs and cut them up for hot plates (trivets). No particular size, 4"X4", 5"X5", etc., just whatever we could get out of the scraps. We'd give them away to whomever wanted some. SWMBO has been using some I brought home about 10 years ago.

Dave Cullen
12-01-2015, 4:50 PM
I have a number of them in my kitchen cabinet, they're cheaper to buy than to make. Usually unfinished oak, maple, or cherry. Most often seen with a criss-cross hatch pattern rather than solid. Yes, they can get hot.

Sizes vary depending on the pot or pan you need to put it under. Ask the wife what she wants...

Bill Ryall
12-01-2015, 5:34 PM
Ask the wife what she wants...

I did.

Her response: "Trivets. You figure the rest out."

Art Mann
12-01-2015, 6:10 PM
Here are some examples of trivets I make and sell. They were cut on a CNC router but they may give you some ideas on how you could make some, especially the Walnut over Maple one. These are 7 inches and are cork backed. I have found that lacquer will not stand up to the heat of a dish right out of the oven, even though it is the most attractive. I use polyurethane instead for durability. Click to expand.

Erik Christensen
12-01-2015, 6:12 PM
pretty basic - i used a RAS with dado blade - cut dado's slightly more than 1/2 thickness on a regular (or not) spacing - flip and dado backside @ 90 degrees - easy peasy.

take 2 pieces of scrap of opposing wood and glue them up - top & bottom different colors

all you want is some air flow to help cool pot bottom and keep it off heat sensitive counters - picture shows trivet larger than the pot - that is not necessary - as long as it is big enough to keep the pot stable overhang is not a bad thing

be thankful for the requirement - trivets are a ton easier than cutting boards :)

Myk Rian
12-01-2015, 7:12 PM
I made some just like Erik did. Used the router table with a 1/4" bit, and indexed the fence.
I used maple and cherry. Mineral oil coating. 8 years ago, and we still used them almost every day.

Art Mann
12-01-2015, 7:26 PM
That trivet is very attractive and should be easy to build with either a dado set or a router table. She ought to be very pleased with that. You might even try laminating two species of wood together and then cutting that out in a cross hatch pattern. It might look really good. Hmmm - I think I will try that. I'm always looking for new designs.

Earl McLain
12-01-2015, 8:40 PM
Incra has some free plans that may be good inspiration. http://www.incrementaltools.com/Free_Plan_s/149.htm#trivets Don't necessarily need an Incra fence, aAs Myk said, just index the fence for similar results. I also have made some that folded--basically 3/4 x 1/4 stock, laminate 3 pieces but don't glue the center part. A few band saw cuts and the sections free like scissors. I'll try to hunt some pictures.

earl

Ken Platt
12-01-2015, 8:57 PM
You can also use alternate materials; I think it's a great place for a stone or tile in combination with wood. Here is a picture of one of mine that we use every day. The wood is mahogany, the stone is a piece of granite I got from somewhere....maybe one of the turning suppliers. Occasionally I'll walk down the tile aisle at Home Depot, and if one strikes my fancy, I'll get it to make a trivet around. You can also get other natural stones; I have some slate I got from LV that is awaiting incorporation into some sort of trivet. Fun, straightforward, useful project.

Ken

Earl McLain
12-02-2015, 6:22 AM
Ken--what adhesive do you use for the stone? I sure like that look, and 4 x 4" tiles with a 1" border is a nice size.

earl

Andrew Kertesz
12-02-2015, 6:29 AM
I made some similar to Erik's using plans from Woodsmith #41. Gave a bunch of sets out over 20 years ago. Most are still in use today...While not as nice looking plywood is more stable on the heat than solid wood, some wood species have a tendency to warp after several years with the heat.

glenn bradley
12-02-2015, 6:37 AM
As you notice, the wooden ones have an open pattern to dissipate heat. Mine are about 7" square.

This one is made with a router and a shop made arc jig. I have also made lattice types.

I finish with mineral oil.

Ken Platt
12-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Earl, I used something called "RTV silicone adhesive", works well, my local Ace has it. I'm not sure where I came up with that product, possibly from the glue recommendation site "thistothat"?

BTW, one of the things that's neat about using stone is that it holds the heat, so it helps keep the pot or whatever warm.

Ken

Ken Platt
12-02-2015, 10:41 PM
Also, Earl, I found a source for the stones, it is likely where I got it in the first place:

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/54/5246/Turners-Select-Marble-Cheeseboard-Tile

Andrew Pitonyak
12-03-2015, 11:22 AM
... I have found that lacquer will not stand up to the heat of a dish right out of the oven, even though it is the most attractive. I use polyurethane instead for durability.

Wait, what? Polyurethane holds up to a dish directly out of the oven? Is this true for most polyurethane brands, or only specific ones? I have some nice General Finishes poly, but I had not expected that it would hold up to that; not that I tried.

Gene Takae
12-04-2015, 1:08 AM
I made a couple of dozen as Christmas gifts one year. Similar to Ken's except I used 8x8 un-glazed tiles and did a custom graphic on the tiles and fired them in a kiln. The frame was like a picture frame except the rabbets were on the face instead of the back, Just be sure to keep the tile slightly proud of the frame.

Bill Ryall
12-04-2015, 6:51 AM
Thanks all. I'm going to go with a granite wrapped in maple since time is of the essence, and since I discovered that my contrasting wood inventory is shockingly non-existent. I'll experiment with finishes this weekend.

Steve Mellott
12-04-2015, 5:41 PM
Corian is a good material to use for trivets - you can also cut some interesting patterns with a scroll saw. Also, you can inset wine corks into a wooden frame, which also works well. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable putting a hot pan on a piece of wood.

Steve

Art Mann
12-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Wait, what? Polyurethane holds up to a dish directly out of the oven? Is this true for most polyurethane brands, or only specific ones? I have some nice General Finishes poly, but I had not expected that it would hold up to that; not that I tried.

I guess I should have been more specific. I use Minwax semigloss in rattle cans. I can't say for certain about any other brands. I know about this material because I did extensive testing and I have had trivets made this way in constant use in my house for over a year. I also use this material on carved coasters because it is much more resistant to water damage than lacquer. I would guess other brands of polyurethane would also work well.

Gene Takae
12-05-2015, 4:04 PM
I've made a couple of dozen as Christmas gifts one year. Similar to Ken's except that I used un-glazed 8x8 ceramic tiles and did custom graphics on them and had them fired in a kiln. In your case a nice decorative tile would be appropriate. The frames were similar to picture frames except that the rabbets were on the face versus the back. Remember to keep the tile slightly proud of the frame so that the frame doesn't get scorched by a hot pot.