PDA

View Full Version : Microfence's plunge base?

Jamie Buxton
09-02-2005, 3:57 PM
Maybe it has been out a while, but I just noticed Microfence's plunge base for laminate trimmers (http://microfence.com/pages/Plunge/overview.html). Has anybody tried it?

Cecil Arnold
09-02-2005, 4:37 PM
Richard meantioned it at the Houston WW show about April 1. I think he said he would be coming out with it in the near future at that time. If it is anthing like thier other products it is well made, functional, and delivers as promised.

Doug Shepard
09-02-2005, 5:13 PM
Those folks really tick me off. It's hard not to put that thing on my got-to-have list. I just wish it weren't quite so expensive. I'm on their mailing list due to buying their edge guide and circle cutting jigs and just got a flyer from them about 2 weeks ago announcing the plunge base. I put off ordering one in the hope that I can get a little discount at the upcoming Detroit WW show. I do question their choice of marketing label - "3 Axis Milling Machine" to describe it, since you need their edge guide to control one of the axes, and the 3rd one is controlled by your own movement of the router. Regardless, I consider their edge and circle guides to be some of the best tool investments I've ever made and would expect the plunge base to be of equal quality.

Steve Clardy
09-03-2005, 1:32 PM
I got a brochure also. Looks interesting.
I'll have to check it out at the woodshow next year. I have their expensive guide for a 690 and 7310 router. Nice product.

Mike Cutler
09-03-2005, 4:12 PM
I use the Micro fence on my PC 8529's. Great product, I wish I could use it more due to the cost.
I see the edge guide is now compatible with the Festool guide rails also.
I'm sure the plunge will work just fine. I just need a router that will utilize it. :D

Doug Shepard
09-04-2005, 8:18 AM
Jamie
Don't know why I didn't remember about this earlier, but if your laminate trimmer is a PC310, you've got another option available for a plunge base - http://www.alliedlutherie.com/routerbases.htm
They seem to be out of stock on them at the moment, but as far as I know, this is the only place that sells them. The $250 includes an integral edge guide vs the $400 from Microfence for just the base. I'm using a DeWalt, so the Cochran base isn't really an option for me (short of buying a new trimmer too).

Jamie Buxton
09-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Jamie
Don't know why I didn't remember about this earlier, but if your laminate trimmer is a PC310, you've got another option available for a plunge base - http://www.alliedlutherie.com/routerbases.htm
They seem to be out of stock on them at the moment, but as far as I know, this is the only place that sells them. The $250 includes an integral edge guide vs the $400 from Microfence for just the base. I'm using a DeWalt, so the Cochran base isn't really an option for me (short of buying a new trimmer too).

I hadn't noticed that Microfence doesn't include an edgeguide -- even for $400. Add another $180 for the edgeguide, and it does get pricey. The Bishop Cochran one looks like a much better deal. Of course, a great price on something they can't deliver doesn't mean much.