PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hide Glue Pot

Mike Henderson
12-01-2015, 11:51 AM
I finally broke down and bought a real hide glue pot - Thanks, Scott, for offering it here.

When I received it, I found a wire doodad inside the pot and I can't figure out what it's supposed to be used for. You can see the pictures below.

What is that used for? Is it to stir the glue? Or to wipe your brush on? Or what? The pot did not come with a manual and I couldn't find a manual or any instructions on the web.

Mike

Tom M King
12-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Copied and pasted from the Amazon sales page for it: and a wiper rod is included for scraping the sides of the pot

Mike Henderson
12-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Copied and pasted from the Amazon sales page for it: and a wiper rod is included for scraping the sides of the pot

Ah, thanks. I never thought to look at the Amazon page.

Mike

Tom M King
12-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Stewmac says it's a "mixing, wiping device": http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Glue_Pot/Hold-Heet_Electric_Glue_Pot%20.html

I speak pretty good Google.

ken hatch
12-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Mike,

Your pot looks like the one TFWW sells, here is the link https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TK/item/MS-GLUEPOT.XX

From the description page: "...The glue pot comes with a steel stand that goes into the pot so that you can wipe your glue brush against it."

ken

John Sanford
12-01-2015, 2:56 PM
To Recap: From the above answers it sounds like a multi-purpose doodad. Wipe the brush on it AND scrape the pot sides AND if desired, stir the pot.

Shawn Pixley
12-01-2015, 2:58 PM
And it makes julienne fries....

Jeffrey Martel
12-01-2015, 3:07 PM
Personally, I never need that much glue at one time. So I fill my glue pot (same one as you) with water, and put hide glue in a small ball jar in the middle so that the water surrounds it (like a double boiler). Then I only have a little bit at a time, and can screw a lid on and make it tight when I put it in the fridge.

Mike Henderson
12-01-2015, 3:38 PM
Personally, I never need that much glue at one time. So I fill my glue pot (same one as you) with water, and put hide glue in a small ball jar in the middle so that the water surrounds it (like a double boiler). Then I only have a little bit at a time, and can screw a lid on and make it tight when I put it in the fridge.
That's what I plan to do, also. But I was interested in what that thingamabob was.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up.

Mike