PDA

View Full Version : Two vs. Three Wing Raised Panel Bits

Charles P. Wright
12-01-2015, 10:42 AM
I want to do some raised panel doors, and am debating what type of bit I should get to do it. I like to buy Whiteside, because they are US made. The have two series of interest a 2-wing cutter 5900 series of bit or a 3-wing cutter 6000 series of bits. They also offer the 2-wing bit with a back-cutter as well.

http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/catimages07/raisedpanelbits.gif

The cost difference between the bits isn't enough to make a difference for me, but they are expensive enough that I'm only going to buy one of them.

I've read conflicting advice in the search. Some say that the 3 wing is more likely to burn things and is really only suitable with a power feeder. Others say more wings will leave a nicer cut than less wings.

The other thing is that I'm not sure if I should get the back cutter, or if I should just do that on the table saw. It seems like that would increase the amount of work that the router would have to do, and maybe it would be better to separate that operation.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Charles

Cary Falk
12-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Not directly answering your question but I have a 4 winged Diablo badged Freud Quadra-Cut raised panel bit I got when HD was closing them out. It cuts like butta and leaves a excellent finish without any burning. I used it last weekend.

George Bokros
12-01-2015, 10:52 AM
I have used both. I prefer the bit with the back cutter. I make multiple passes to reduce the amount of stock being removed and get a cleaner cut. I set up the bit with the bearing flush to my router table fence then add sub-fences of UHMW material with spring clamps. I use a piece of 1/4 inch and a piece 1/8". I make a pass then remove the 1/8" make another pass remove the 1/4" and put the 1/8" back and make another pass. Then I remove the piece of 1'8" and make the final pass at full depth. I have a nice clean cut and no burning.

I had a panel bit without the back-cutter and a separate back-cutter bit and found it more challenging to get the setup perfect and a good back cut. i sold both the raised panel bit and back-cutter to someone here on SMC and bought the bit with the back-cutter. IMHO the bit with the back-cutter is the only way to go.

glenn bradley
12-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Three wing cutters seem to leave a smoother surface and last longer for obvious reasons. The Quadra-cut product from Freud that Cary mentions goes beyond anything I have ever used on end grain and this is coming from a hard core Whiteside fan.

Myk Rian
12-01-2015, 11:34 AM
I vote for the back cutter bits. They leave a nice finish.

Peter Quinn
12-01-2015, 12:46 PM
3 wings allow a higher feed rate at the same cuts per inch (cpi), I'm not sure you can really take advantage of that hand feeding? As long as you balance the feed rate with the number of wings of the cut should be identical. At the same feed rate the 3 wing may appear to cut cleaner because you have more cuts per inch, until it dulls a bit....then it will burn easier. Imagine ripping with a 60th cross cut blade. Does more teeth mean a cleaner cut?

I'm a fan of the Freud quadra cuts too. It's really a 2wing panel raiser with two additional hoggers set at a steep shear angle to relieve material at the thickest part of the cut. It leaves an excellent cut with what feels like easier feed pressure. Worth considering. I love white side and buy domestic as possible, but Freud has a good thing there with the panel raisers.

Rod Sheridan
12-01-2015, 2:20 PM
Hi, for hand fed work I would go with the 2 wing cutter................Regards, Rod.

Martin Wasner
12-01-2015, 4:21 PM
I can't speak about panel raising with a router, but I've got a four wing insert panel raiser in a shaper. We're running 5000rpm at (I think) 19fpm with a four wheel power feed. You could use a kitten to sand the profile. Four wing takes a fair amount of horsepower though.

pat warner
12-01-2015, 6:54 PM
Exactly, Mr. Wasner.
Panel cutters are for shapers, not 110 volt routers.
They can handle the stress, the fly-wheel, heat sink, power, &
as many wings as you can supply it.
Panel router bits have no place in a 1/2" spindle.