PDA

View Full Version : MM16 Owners

David Less
09-02-2005, 1:33 PM
I needed something to make it easier to change my 1" blade. The removal of the doors was the best solution. Too bad a saw of this caliber doesn't come with them. I designed them myself and made them out of steel with hardened dowel pins.

They work GREAT!

Thanks for looking

David

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuv69/DSC1.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuv69/DSC2.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuv69/DSC3.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuv69/DSC4.sized.jpg

Jim Becker
09-02-2005, 1:48 PM
I think this is only an issue if you cannot fully open the door due to how the machine is placed in the shop. (My experience) But I like your solution...good job!

Michael Perata
09-02-2005, 3:05 PM
Waddya mean ya can't open the doors with a 1" blade. (I can't either :( )

Good solution.

Jim - I have the mobility kit and with the kit in its standard location, the bottom door cannot be opened enough to get a blade on. A 1/2" blade is a hassle.

Jim Becker
09-02-2005, 3:11 PM
Hmm...I haven't had my 1" blade on for awhile, but I don't recall an issue with opening the door up with the wheel on. I'll have to look at that this weekend.

Philip Glover
09-02-2005, 3:23 PM
David,
I wish I had thought of that. Changing the 1" blade is a pain. Did you modify/re-operate the existing hinges, or make new ones from scratch?
Thanks,
Phil

Dan Forman
09-02-2005, 3:59 PM
I had the same problem, but I just took off the wheels. I don't need to move it anymore (I hope), and it kept getting stuck (high centered) on my uneven basement floor anyway, due to the small wheel size.

Dan

John Thomas
09-02-2005, 4:06 PM
I just put a wedge under the left side then pull the left wheel off. I don't change blades very often so it is not a problem.

Rob Littleton
09-02-2005, 4:34 PM
I just took the wheels off..........

I dont have a problem changing the blade. Did I miss something?

Waddya mean ya can't open the doors with a 1" blade. (I can't either :( )

Good solution.

Jim - I have the mobility kit and with the kit in its standard location, the bottom door cannot be opened enough to get a blade on. A 1/2" blade is a hassle.

Dennis McDonaugh
09-02-2005, 4:38 PM
Dave, I have mine sitting on a shop fox mobile base because I thought the mobility kit was a pain to use so I don't have a problem opening the doors. However, the floor in my garage slopes ever so slightly toward the garage door and the saw doors won't stay open. Looks like you found a nifty solution. Nice fabrication job too.

Bruce Page
09-02-2005, 5:23 PM
Like Jim, it’s been awhile since I have mounted the 1” blade but I don’t recall the doors being in the way either. I have mine on a mobile base so the funky mobility kit wheels aren’t an issue anymore. For the brief time that I was using the mobility kit, I would just pull out the retaining pin and pull the wheel off of the axel. That said, nice machining job on the new hinges!

BTW, my mobility kit is still for sale... :rolleyes:

Phil Winn
09-02-2005, 5:47 PM
Which MM16 do you have, the 4.8hp one or an earlier one? If the 4.8hp one, how much will you sell a set of "David Less's easy-off hinges" for? Actually I am serious....
Thanks,
Phil

Alan Tolchinsky
09-02-2005, 9:27 PM
I just put a wedge under the left side then pull the left wheel off. I don't change blades very often so it is not a problem.

Yep, that's what I do: just remove the left wheel and the door opens as wide as needed. I just lean against the rear column a little and that removes enough weight to take off the wheel. I do hate it when the doors close on my head though. :) Have to figure a way to keep them open.

Charlie Kocourek
09-04-2005, 9:48 PM
From the first time I tried changing blades I thought the doors on this saw needed some help. I was thinking of an articulated hinge that would allow the doors to swing out and away. I never tried to make them because it seemed like it would take a lot of time (for me) and I would rather spend that time in other ways. But I am in Phil's camp. Really, have you considered marketing them?