PDA

View Full Version : Menards has performax trim router on sale

Ellery Becnel
11-30-2015, 6:55 PM
Has anyone used the Performax 1/4"/3/8" trim router. Menards has it on sale for $39.99.

It looks like a decent little trimmer. Not a bad price either.

Ellery Becnel

Robert Willing
12-01-2015, 9:31 AM
At that price buy it.

Rich Engelhardt
12-01-2015, 5:03 PM
I had really bad luck with a Performax cordless multifunction tool.
The batteries quit taking more than a few seconds worth of use charge within a few months.
I only paid $19 for the thing after the rebate and sale price & it's an hour drive to Menards and an hour return, otherwise I would have taken the thing back to them.

I put the Perfromax stuff in the same category as Harbor Freight.

Randy Rose
12-01-2015, 5:24 PM
I always search for that hobbyist middle ground between H-F and Festool .
With that in mind, perhaps the Makita RT0701C warrants a look. $99 @ Home Depot and various on line retailers.
just my .0000002

William Adams
12-01-2015, 6:09 PM
Looks like another rebadging of the Makita RT-0701, like the MLCS Rocky 30.

Ellery Becnel
12-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. That was what I was expecting to hear. Especially since I could not find a single review, almost like it does not exist.
Anyway, I have three trim routers: 2 Bosch colts-with the plunge base, and a Dewalt DK611 combo kit. Both are really neat little trimmers. I just saw
this one and was curious if it was worth the effort. I still might grab it, since it is a good price.

Ellery Becnel

Rich Engelhardt
12-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Let us know how it works out of you do pick one up, ok?
I have a DeWalt 611 PK and Lord only knows how many other routers - but - another router is always welcome in Casa Engelhardt :D

Ellery Becnel
12-03-2015, 1:57 PM
I hear you loud and clear Rich. I feel the same way. I think it will be an early Christmas present from me to me!
I am so easy to shop for.

Ellery Becnel

Ellery Becnel
12-05-2015, 9:13 AM
I ordered the little trim router. It should be hear by 12/09/15, next Wednesday. I should be able to report back by the 10th, on its performance, quality, etc.

The sale is good until the 13th, in case anyone would like to pick one up. Total with processing fees(?), shipping $48.45. More to come.

Ellery Becnel

Ellery Becnel
12-15-2015, 9:51 AM
It finally arrived! Shipping was 9 days to get here. It has a good finish, rubber coating on housing good grip. Vacuum port, must remove to change bit or remove motor from housing.
1/4" and 3/8" collet do not plan on using 3/8". 7/8" depth of travel. Rack and pinion depth adjustment, a little sloppy but it works. Soft start, runs smooth @ high and low RPMs. The
edge guide is what you get with any little trimmer. I did not try the flush trim guide with the roller. I will just use my flush trim bits with bearings. I cut a 3/16" round over on a pine
2 X 4, and cut a 1/4" and a 1/2" wide groove and dado 1/4" deep on both. It cut well, no problems. Two LED lights stay on even when motor is not running. I like this along with the
red indicator light, letting you know the cord is plugged in. This is a good safety feature. I will probably use it for round overs and small groves in drawer box sides, etc. I already have
two Bosch colts with the plunge base, and a DeWalt 611 kit. I plan on making an offset base with a handle for roundovers. I might make a square base to drop in my little router table.
They do not offer any different base options to accept PC guide bushings. Not a big deal to me as I can make one if I need to. For the sale price of $30.00 it is a nice little trimmer. It
is not a high end router, but it does what is says it can do. It also came with a set of brushes, and a zippered vinyl storage case. It is made in china.

Also I am not associated with any tool company, vendor, salesman, etc. I am a woodworker that does this for a hobby. This is my impression of what I purchased. I was asked by
some forum members to give a little review, if I were to purchase one of these routers. This is all that this is, my opinion.

Ellery Becnel

Frederick Skelly
12-15-2015, 7:33 PM
Thanks Ellery!

Andrew Kertesz
12-16-2015, 6:52 AM
I used to work at Menard's and many of their PerforMax tools carry a 3 yr. warranty. While other tools may have a better warranty with Menard's you just take it in with receipt and they replace it if it is covered. No waiting or shipping to get it fixed. Not sure if this tool is one of those...