PDA

View Full Version : Interesting saw type

Cody Cantrell
11-30-2015, 2:37 PM
I saw this saw on ebay and am quiet smitten with the form. It is the top saw. Anyone know anything about saws like this? I think I will make one out of an old plate. Thanks for any info.

David Eisenhauer
11-30-2015, 2:52 PM
I believe it is the type of saw that you just rub on wood and the wood becomes cut-wood. But use aside, you mean you just decide to head out to the shop and knock out a new saw in the next half hour or so? Go ahead on and do that while I am still trying to figure out this saw sharpening stuff with less-than-young-eyes. May as well have another saw just to keep your hand in so to speak. Will we see photos of the new creation tomorrow?

Cody Cantrell
11-30-2015, 3:40 PM
Probably not tomorrow, got other projects ahead of this. Maybe around Christmas time. Thinking this would be a good little bench saw for use with a bench hook. Anyone seen this type saw? Wondering if Mr. Bontz has made one like this? I have a 10 point plate waiting, maybe an Osage tote?

Kees Heiden
11-30-2015, 3:51 PM
The cheek of that handle reminds me a tiny little bit of the dovetail and carcass saw handle from Smith's key. That long end in front of the nib is also a bit like those saws.

http://eaiainfo.org/2014/02/05/decoding-smiths-key/

What kind of sawscrews does it have?

Cody Cantrell
11-30-2015, 3:57 PM
Look like regular saw screws from the back, the front kind of looks like a rivet.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8ZAAAOSwt6ZWVM9i/s-l500.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/44MAAOSwf-VWVM6V/s-l500.jpg

Kees Heiden
11-30-2015, 4:27 PM
Man, that could very well be an old one, early 19th century! The very round nose, the long straight in front of the nib, the curious cheek. I think those screws are replacements, maybe the handle was indeed attached with rivets originally.

Kees Heiden
11-30-2015, 4:29 PM
And of course it could be much newer, dating saws ain't that easy.

Scrape the rust with some mineral spirits and a razor blade. Maybe you'll find a name.

Cody Cantrell
11-30-2015, 4:42 PM
Its not mine I just saw it on ebay and figured I could make a copy of it.

Tom M King
11-30-2015, 4:48 PM
Looks like it's made for cutting early 19th Century PVC pipe.

Ron Bontz
11-30-2015, 6:48 PM
Look like regular saw screws from the back, the front kind of looks like a rivet.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8ZAAAOSwt6ZWVM9i/s-l500.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/44MAAOSwf-VWVM6V/s-l500.jpg
What is the ppi and does the plate have any taper? The hang looks a little high for a Smith's Key saw. Rather looks like a small table saw to me. Good research project for some one. Interesting angle on the nib. Wouldn't take much to make one and could come in handy in tight spots.

Jim Davis
11-30-2015, 7:00 PM
It looks, in fact, as if someone has done what you suggest. Overall geometry is similar to Disston's "Patternmaker's saw" and not unlike their "Cabinetmaker's saw." The former had a 7" long plate and the latter a longer one--14" or so IIRC. Here are some close relatives:

Cody Cantrell
11-30-2015, 9:05 PM
Ron,
these pics are just from an ebay listing I saw.

I guess no one is really familiar with the form? I like all the insight.

Rob Paul
11-30-2015, 10:55 PM
The form looks like a "Table" saw, although they usually have a longer blade (this one may have been shortened)
The handle on early table saws was a bit more decorative than the somewhat plain one shown, so I'd guess it dates first half 1900s
Should be a good project to copy this style (do some google searching for alternative handle details. Bob Summerfield makes a nice one http://lumberjocks.com/summerfi/blog/46985 )

Tony Zaffuto
12-01-2015, 5:45 AM
Like the proportions! Have to wonder how deep the saw plate was originally, if materially different than the picture. Maybe George Wilson will take a look and opine?

Jim Davis
12-02-2015, 5:55 PM
This thread was just the push I needed to throw me off balance and get me to make one of these saws. I had it in mind for a year of so.

I cut a section out of a very used Disston D-20, belt sanded most of the rust and shallow pits out of it, shaped the back of the heal, and made a handle. The plate is 14" long. The handle is cherry. (Hope it darkens up over time)326247326248326249326250326251And a Disston factory version.

David Eisenhauer
12-02-2015, 8:32 PM
I am very envious of guys like Cody and Jim that just decide to head down to the shop and whack out a new saw. I realize it is probably just another set of particular skills and knowledge specific to the case, but still............. Good going guys. Cody I want to see a photo of the new saw showing the whoopdelooo dip on the back of the saw out towards the nose. That will be the "wow" factor.

Jim Davis
12-02-2015, 8:51 PM
I am very envious of guys like Cody and Jim that just decide to head down to the shop and whack out a new saw. I realize it is probably just another set of particular skills and knowledge specific to the case, but still............. Good going guys. Cody I want to see a photo of the new saw showing the whoopdelooo dip on the back of the saw out towards the nose. That will be the "wow" factor.

The "whoopdelooo" isn't that hard. Just scribe a line a bit from the top all the way to the nib-to-be. Grind to the line. Then take a triangular file and make a notch just past the nib. Clean it all up with a file.

Cody Cantrell
12-03-2015, 5:50 AM
Looks nice Jim. Hows it cut?

Rob I looked at Bob Summerfields saws, those are gorgeous. That looks just like what I had in mind.

Cody Cantrell
12-03-2015, 5:52 AM
David I will definitely post a pic

Kees Heiden
12-03-2015, 7:16 AM
So, it finally turned out to be "just" a Distonn saw. Well, maybe they looked at the Smit's Key too.

Jim Davis
12-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Cody, I put a light set on the teeth and filed them. It cuts very nicely and hangs well in the hand. It leaves a smooth surface that would be ready to glue. (This is entirely the result of having very little set and a light pass with a stone on the sides, not the geometry of the saw.)

Now I will have to rearrange my hanging tools at the bench to make room for this.

Thanks for your posts, which got me motivated.

Cody Cantrell
12-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Jim,
How did you file it Rip or XC?

Cody Cantrell
12-03-2015, 12:01 PM
So, got started. Here is the blade cut down, and the tote roughed out. The tote is shaped after a Moses Eadon DT saw. The wood is Osage Orange.

Jim Davis
12-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Jim,
How did you file it Rip or XC?

Cody, the plate was filed 11 PPI, crosscut, and I left it as it was.

Tony Zaffuto
12-04-2015, 5:44 AM
Well Jim and Cody, as Phineas said to Ferb: "Ferb, I know what we're going to do today (next six months!".

I got a nice piece of apple just waiting to be shaped and, using Jim's idea, have a few, non-descript saws/saw plates, just waiting to be re-purposed. I like the idea of a bench saw-been using Wentzloff version of a Disston half-back, but it is a bit long and the plate is still full: I figure a couple inches shorter length and about the same on plate depth will give me what I want. I will file a nib on mine, however.

Jim Davis
12-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Today I gussied up the handle with a wheat head pattern. The Disstons didn't have that, but I couldn't resist.326552

Tony Zaffuto
12-06-2015, 6:39 AM
Today I gussied up the handle with a wheat head pattern. The Disstons didn't have that, but I couldn't resist.326552

What tool do you use for leaf carving? Very nice by the way!

Jim Davis
12-06-2015, 9:18 AM
Tony, I made a small shovel-point gouge from a piece of saw plate. The photo is not very good, but may be clear enough to see. Since this photo was taken, I have added a handle. I make two cuts for each wheat seed. I also used a stock checkering tool to make the stem.326569