PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw and generator?

Dave Curtis
11-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm getting a new Delta Unisaw (3hp) as a gift, but I was wondering if I can run this saw off of a generator. I'll have to buy the generator, and I'm thinking along the lines of a Generac XT8000. My shop is in an airplane hangar with limited electrical available (15A extension cords throughout the complex). I can run things like a small Porter Cable pancake compressor, chop saw, router, etc, but anything bigger trips the circuits. So can I run the saw off the generator, or is that not going to work, or is it just not a good idea? I called Delta, but they didn't seem to know (at least the person I spoke to didn't). Thanks.

Wade Lippman
11-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Presumably it draws about 15a/240v. To start it probably need something like 60a/240v. Unless your generator can provide that, it won't start.

Larry Gipson
11-30-2015, 1:00 PM
I have a larger version of that generator and have had nothing but problems with it. The engine has never run smoothly and somehow "hunts" then stalls. There's a feedback system that adjusts the engine speed to the load. Switching it off helps a little.

A few years ago I tried to run my Miller 211 mig welder from it. Didn't work for some reason. The 12kw power @220v should have run it easily, but it wouldn't work. All I can figure is that the welder is sensitive to the accuracy of the 60 hz frequency or something of this nature. I solved the problem with a really long 10ga extension cord. I think it cost $300 just for the cord. The welder ran fine off the house mains.

I'd spend a little more and buy a generator with a Honda engine. Much more reliable. I read some Honda generator models regulate the 60hz very accurately while delivering reliable power. The saw motor might not care, but you may want to run something else on it that will.

Bill Ryall
11-30-2015, 4:12 PM
The problem is the inrush current when the motor tries to start. I'm not familiar with that particular generator, so I don't know how responsive the controller circuitry will be to the motor startup. The other thing to keep in mind is the TS motor is a highly inductive load. Most generators prefer to see a more resistive load. I think you could get it to run, but there will likely be a lot of wear and tear on both the generator and TS motor. I know I can run my 1.5HP motor on my table saw on both my 3500W jobsite generator and the 5500W generator I keep at the house. It will start, it will run, but it struggles at startup.