PDA

View Full Version : have a look at this lathe,see what you think

Alan Ryalls
09-02-2005, 10:18 AM
hi everybody,posted this a couple of weeks ago for uk woodturners to have a look at,but nobody has replied,so im asking for comments from you all.please
have a look at this lathe at www.diy.com (www.diy.copm)
in the search box type copying lathe,your comments would be greatly appreciated.
regards Alan Ryalls

Charles E. Martin V
09-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Link is not working.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-02-2005, 10:58 AM
The link to the product is:

Copying Lathe (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=7920078&entryFlag=false&PRODID=7940063)

Charles E. Martin V
09-02-2005, 11:10 AM
It kind of looks like a repainted HF or Grizzly lathe. Not much info either.

Kurt Aebi
09-02-2005, 2:47 PM
Like Charles said, it looks to be another type of "JET" clone; much like the Harbor Freight (HF) and Grizzly. I believe Record over there across the pond has one similar as well.

I have the HF lathe and it is fine for a beginner and intermediate turner - it takes standard accessories that I can transfer to higher quality lathes as my skills progress and the desire to do more delicate work that the HF just will not allow me to do. I do not have a Copy attachment, but I see nothing wrong with them and for around 199 Pounds (~$500 US), I think the price isn't out of the ballpark for a lathe like that.

I bought an extended warranty (2-year) just to make sure the motor was covered as a replacement would likely cost more than 1/2 of the original cost. I'd advise inquiring about an extended warranty if you choose this lathe.

Nothing wrong with an inexpensive lathe, in my book. I believe in the theory of get the best quality for the money that you are willing to spend.

Jim Becker
09-02-2005, 3:30 PM
Looking at the pictures, I'd be concerned about weight...'can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like cast iron ways...and for nearly $400US, even with the copy feature...

Jack Savona
09-02-2005, 5:59 PM
I bought a Delta variable speed lathe 20 months ago and have had replacement parts (under warrantee) sent 4 times. If this lathe has any problems, what are your options for parts? Since you're in England, you might find replacement parts easier, but make sure you have easy access to them.

My suggestion: line up your ducks before purchase.

Jack

Steve Schoene
09-03-2005, 12:56 AM
Not much info to go on in that ad. Besides the copy feature isn't something that most people need. If you are doing massive numbers of spindles--like for three flights of stairs it might be handy, but even so by the time you got even one set done by hand, you would honed your skills enough to out pace the duplicator, at least if you consider how much sanding, etc. would be needed compared to hand turned materials.