PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 emulator?

Bruce Page
11-29-2015, 6:36 PM
Does Windows 10 have a Virtual Machines/Windows XP Mode like my current Win7 Professional? I have a few expensive 32 bit programs that I can't afford to update that run fine using the Win7/XP emulator.

Myk Rian
11-29-2015, 7:10 PM
Microsoft stopped developing their VM years ago. Try Oracle Virtual box.

Steve Wurster
11-29-2015, 8:10 PM
Microsoft stopped developing their VM years ago. Try Oracle Virtual box.

No, they just renamed it to Hyper-V. There is a version that works on Windows 10.

Myk Rian
11-29-2015, 8:19 PM
I actually tried their VM before using Oracle. If it's still as convoluted as it was then, I wouldn't bother with it.

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-29-2015, 9:00 PM
No, they just renamed it to Hyper-V. There is a version that works on Windows 10.

You need Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise to use Hyper-V

Myk Rian
11-29-2015, 9:16 PM
No kidding. I was referring to the old one.
If the new is as bad as the old, forget it.

Steve Wurster
11-29-2015, 9:19 PM

I think there's one that works on the Home edition, but has limited memory and CPU support for guests.

Steve Wurster
11-29-2015, 9:21 PM
I actually tried their VM before using Oracle. If it's still as convoluted as it was then, I wouldn't bother with it.

I haven't used MS VM products in a couple years. I had no problems with Virtual PC on Windows 7, with an XP install as the guest.

These days, I'm using VirtualBox on Windows 7 to run Vagrant-based VMs at work.

Curt Harms
11-30-2015, 7:55 AM
If a VM doesn't work for some reason you could use a boot manager and install Windows 10 in another partition. An advantage to that method is that each O.S. is running on 'bare metal' no emulation layer. This might be helpful if there were proprietary hardware involved that didn't function correctly in a VM. The disadvantage is having to reboot windows to switch between them. I've used BootitNG/BootItBM (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm) for years. It also works around the 4 partition limit on older non UEFI/GPT machines. BootItBM doesn't work on UEFI machines - mostly those sold with Windows 8 or newer.

Bruce Page
11-30-2015, 1:08 PM
Thanks for the information. My main concern is upgrading to Win10 and not being able to run some dated CAD and photo editing programs that I have.

I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type who's usually several years behind the OS curve.. :rolleyes::)

Mike Cutler
11-30-2015, 1:15 PM
Thanks for the information. My main concern is upgrading to Win10 and not being able to run some dated CAD and photo editing programs that I have.

I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type who's usually several years behind the OS curve.. :rolleyes::)

Bruce
Any thought to just having a dedicated machine set aside for those programs and getting a new, or newer, computer with Windows 10 for your other needs?

Greg R Bradley
11-30-2015, 2:48 PM
A new business computer, particularly a CAD/CAM unit, IS Windows 7. One of my businesses is an HP dealer. We have numerous new CAD/CAM unit installs scheduled and all units running Windows are Windows 7. Don't fall for the consumer nonsense of Windows 8x or 10 for business apps like CAD.

I have lots of VMs running Windows 7 on VMWare and Hyper-V. Here's one running 37 virtuals between the G5 server running VMWare and the G9 server running Hyper-V.

Myk Rian
11-30-2015, 3:03 PM
Does Win 10 have a "Compatibility mode" for running older programs?

Jim Becker
12-02-2015, 8:44 PM
In general, 32 big programs will run on a 64 bit Windows OS. But some older applications also use "hooks" into the system or OS that are no longer permitted for security reasons or don't exist anymore and will not run.

Curt Harms
12-03-2015, 8:49 AM

Keeping an old machine just for those programs certainly seems like one solution. I've had good success running guest O.S.s on Virtualbox running on an Ubuntu host - until recently. VirtualBox uses something called guest additions to enable video beyond about 1024 X 768 among other things. The current Windows 10 guest extensions version doesn't work on a 2010 ish Thinkpad so video resolution is limited - doesn't fill the whole screen. Fedora 23 doesn't either but I know why in that case. I would have no reservations about running unsupported and outdated O.S.s as long as they're not able to see external networks and don't access files or programs from untrusted sources.