PDA

View Full Version : Mission Dresser

Dan Gill
09-02-2005, 7:56 AM
I honestly can't remember if I already posted this. Here is one of the Mission dressers I recently completed. I built two that are mirror images. This is from the Wood mag plan, with some modifications. I didn't make a solid plywood case, but made web frames from poplar, joined with pocket screws. I also made the drawers from poplar and dovetailed the fronts of the boxes. Full dovetails with the drawer front screwed to the box. The finish is Watford Medium Walnut with two topcoats of Arm-R-Seal. I apologize if I've already posted this.

Bob Marino
09-02-2005, 8:08 AM
Hi Dan,

No apologies needed if you posted before - I don't mind seeing it again. Beautiful job - but who makes the Watford stain/dye?

Bob

Sparky Paessler
09-02-2005, 8:11 AM
Beautiful work! I love the look of quartersawn white oak.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-02-2005, 8:37 AM
Dan,

I haven't seen that before!! It looks great. My LOML thinks she wants the mission set for our bedroom. I am going to be BUSY!

Mike Weaver
09-02-2005, 8:55 AM
Dan,

I haven't seen that before!! It looks great. My LOML thinks she wants the mission set for our bedroom. I am going to be BUSY!

Dan,
Nice work!

Jeff,
THAT's the EXACT reason I try to not let LOML see nice furniture pictures too often....my hobby shop is in shambles (still) and she keeps piling on projects whenever she sees something she likes. :eek: LOL

All in all, that's a good problem. Finding the tme to get to the shop is the issue...

Cheers,
-Mike

Dan Gill
09-02-2005, 9:50 AM
Doh! That's "Watco", not "Watford" stain. It was early . . .

Eddie Watkins
09-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Very nice! Don't you love those Wood Plans? The ones I have done have been really well done but like you, I usually replace the plywood with real wood mainly because one of my goals is to build solid wood furniture.

Jim Becker
09-02-2005, 11:09 AM
That's lovely, Dan!! I really love the look of QS WO and your piece really brings it out nicely.

Lamar Horton
09-02-2005, 4:19 PM
Very very nice.

Lamar

Dan Gill
09-02-2005, 4:29 PM
That's lovely, Dan!! I really love the look of QS WO and your piece really brings it out nicely.

Thanks, Jim. If I wasn't so frugal (okay, cheap), I would have worked harder at getting more figure in the drawer fronts, but I just feel like I have to use ALL the wood I get. It's the Scots in me. (I heard a guy say about his Scottish father, "We figure the Grand Canyon got started when Dad dropped a nickel down a gopher hole.")

Peter Pedisich
09-02-2005, 9:23 PM
Dan,

That is great, really a beautiful peice. Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Tim Sproul
09-03-2005, 1:02 AM
If I wasn't so frugal (okay, cheap), I would have worked harder at getting more figure in the drawer fronts, but I just feel like I have to use ALL the wood I get.

aye laddy.

But you need to remember that scraps and cutoffs and such can be used as internal parts in future projects. Unless this was your last project.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-03-2005, 1:11 AM
That's beautiful. :)

I've not seen it before...or the plan, either.

KC

Vaughn McMillan
09-03-2005, 4:34 AM
Very nice work Dan. I also better not let LOML see that, 'cause I don't have the skills to pull off such a nice job.

- Vaughn

Dan Gill
09-03-2005, 4:00 PM
Very nice work Dan. I also better not let LOML see that, 'cause I don't have the skills to pull off such a nice job.

- Vaughn

I'll bet you do have the skills. It really wasn't that difficult with the instructions from the magazine. It just took me a while doing it part time.

Mike Stanton
09-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Looks beautiful. I want to make one one of these days. mike

Corey Hallagan
09-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Very nice! I like the hardware and the finish. Great job!

Corey