PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl Bowl

Rich Aldrich
11-29-2015, 2:46 PM
This is a maple burl bowl 10 1/4" diameter x 3" high with a5/16" thick wall. Finish is danish oil buffed and polished

Sid Matheny
11-29-2015, 3:38 PM
Nice job on that bowl. Love the shape, wood and finish!

Mark Greenbaum
11-29-2015, 5:54 PM
Very nice; form, finish & choice of wood. Happy Holidays in the U.P. - start shovelling.

daryl moses
11-29-2015, 8:24 PM
Very nice!!

Rich Aldrich
11-30-2015, 8:26 PM
Thank you all for the compliments.

I have studied Richard Raffins book " Art of Turned Bowls". It is very informative on the form of a bowl. The rim is similar to Bill Grumbine. Hopefully it will improve as my turning muscle grows.:) The finish is danish oil as Bill Grumbine uses in his first video of turning bowls.

As far as the wood goes, I work at a hardwood veneer and lumber mill. I am like a kid in a candy store. The log yard calls me if they have a log with a big burl. Our chipper operator also rescues burls before they go into the chipper. I have to share these with a few of the other guys. They sell them, I use them.

Mark - Looks like we won't have to break out the shovel for at least the next week - hopefully longer.

William C Rogers
11-30-2015, 8:43 PM
Very nice, and well done. I guess I need to start reading on bowl shapes or just look at your turnings. Right now I just turn to whatever shape I feel like. I have 50 acres of woods behind me and I have not seen a burl yet. You are lucky to have a supply.