PDA

View Full Version : lucky to be alive...

Jim Hinze
09-02-2005, 7:03 AM
semi-trucks suck.

Driving into Ford this morning, a dbl gravel hauler decided he wanted my lane more than me and side swiped me into the construction barrels, came within 3 inches of driving over my van.

I'm missing 2 mirrors, I have lots of rubber on my drivers side, a crincled front side panel, scratches from the barrel on the passenger side and my nerves are shot.

The best part, neither he nor anyone else stopped... hit-and-run. I waited 20 mins for me to stop shaking and he didn't come back.

I have to make a police report sometime this morning.

Bob Winkler
09-02-2005, 7:13 AM
Glad you're ok and it wasn't worse. I know from past frequent visits on business to that area that you guys have some massive, scary truck traffic.

Bob

larry merlau
09-02-2005, 7:31 AM
i hope you got a good description of the truck,, know they need more room but to rule the road is outa line.. now you can go get one of those great deals the car manufactures are offerrin they sell BIG trucks to right,, get one that is as big as the bully driver :D that way it will be afair fight. just a bit of hunor fer ya jim. it does help to laugh in time of peril.

Kurt Aebi
09-02-2005, 8:19 AM
Glad to hear you are all right - shaken, but alright. You can always replace or repair a car - you wouldn't be replaceable.

Take care today and be safe the rest of the day and on your way to the adjuster, police station and home.

Hope your weekend goes better!

Jeff Sudmeier
09-02-2005, 8:34 AM
Jim,

I hope they are able to find this guy. Given the benifit of the doubt, maybe he couldn't see you when he moved over, but I know he saw you when you wrecked!!

Rich Konopka
09-02-2005, 9:10 AM
Jim,

I'm glad to hear your ar okay. There was a terrible accident in CT in Jul (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8754546/)y that killed 4 people and took out 20 cars. These trucks are dangerous and unfortnately the innocent are the victims. I hope you remember the truck and the company enough so he is caught.

Ken Garlock
09-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Jim, I am happy that you had no personal injury. Of course I was not in your shoes, but I would be temped to get going and chase the truck while calling 911 to get police assistance. The truck driver probably didn't know what he had done.

As far as no one stopping, it is that new morality at work. They all thought you were just doing your thing, and didn't want to interfere with your civil liberties. :eek:

Jim Hinze
09-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately I did not get a name off the truck or a plate (or even a partial). I was so caught off guard that I spent more time trying to avoid water filled construction barrels.

I'm headed over to the detroit precinct shortly to fill out the report.

On chasing him --> had I done that and caught him I most likely would have lost my temper and done something quite stupid. As it is, I'm just glad I wasn't hurt and neither was anyone else...

Thank God for guardian angels.

Norman Hitt
09-02-2005, 3:55 PM
Glad you weren't hurt, Jim. Unfortunately, there are "The Good", "The Bad", and "The Ugly",drivers in the Trucking industry, (just like there are driving smaller vehicles, ie; 4 wheelers). During the time I drove Trucks professionally, we ALWAYS gave the "Rock Haulers" a wide Berth, as they seem to have Way More than their Share of both "The Bad AND "The Ugly" in that particular part of the Trucking industry, and certainly have, and cause, more accidents than any other branch of the industry. As a matter of fact, some Large Trucking companies won't even hire a driver if he has previously been a "Rock Hauler", (mainly because of Insurance Reasons).

Peter Stahl
09-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Jim.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt. I was in a car that was passing a truck on the right side, we were in his blind spot. He must have heard his wheel going down the side of the car because he backed off. He stopped and the cop gave him a ticket. I never pass or even ride next to a truck after seeing this. When I was younger I had a little triumph sports car and almost got side-swiped by a pickup. I was in his blind spot and was lower than his passanger window. Stay clear of the trucks if possible, like others said there are some really bad ones out there.