PDA

View Full Version : The great vacuum versus DC for small tool use debate.

Wade Lippman
11-29-2015, 8:49 AM
Playing with my new anemometer, I measured 95 mph on a 1.5" hose attached to my my dyson vacuum, and 120mph (I am guessing because it went off the scale, but at the rate it was climbing, I am guessing it would have hit 120mph) on the 1.5 hose attached to my DC. That means the vacuum was drawing 90cfm, and the DC about 115.

So, a DC should be at least as good as vacuum for small tools. Am I understanding this properly? Of course it would be using 4x the electricity to do it, but that's besides the point.

I also measured a 1" hose off my vacuum at 100mph or 50cfm, so a narrower hose restricts air movement by 50%. Who knew! I didn't test the DC on a narrower hose, since I couldn't have accurately measured it anyhow.

Art Mann
11-29-2015, 10:17 AM
No, you don't have the whole picture. Small tools have a very restrictive air flow path and low air movement. A shop vacuum is designed to maintain suction in this kind of situation. A dust collector is designed to work with open air flow paths and big volumes. Air flow restrictions have a much greater effect on air flow. The one experiment that you did not do would have showed you the real difference in how dust collectors and shop vacuums work.

glenn bradley
11-29-2015, 11:07 AM
What Art said. There are some capture scenarios that benefit from sheer suction and velocity with point of origin "suck" being the main contributor to capturing spoil. Stuff flies off a router bit at a pretty decent speed. If the suck (or capture cowling) can't overcome the launch speed, no capture. Random Orbit Sanding is another matter but, I have found most dust collection discussions end with the right answer being whatever works best for you ;-)