PDA

View Full Version : Purchase of three morgan silver dollars

Brian Deakin
11-29-2015, 6:04 AM
I live in the United Kingdom and my son Alex age 15 is a member of the Junior Magic Circle

Alex would like to 4 Morgan silver dollers to perform majic tricks with

Can anyone please advise on how I can best purchae 4 doller cions

Please note title should read 4 cions

regards

Brian

Stewie Simpson
11-29-2015, 7:23 AM
http://coins.about.com/library/US-coin-values/bl-US0100-Morgan-Dollars-Prices.htm

Nicholas Lawrence
11-29-2015, 7:50 AM
There are a number of online bullion sellers who deal in old silver coins as well as modern. JM Bullion is one. APMEX is another. There are some ebay sellers as well. The real coins are going to be a bit of an expense because of the silver. Google tells me there are reproductions, but I don't know how suitable they would be.

Wade Lippman
11-29-2015, 8:22 AM
I just got rid of a bunch for their bullion price. Oh well.

Jim Koepke
11-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Is there a reason they need to be Morgan dollars and not the less expensive (clad material) Eisenhower dollars?

Eisenhower dollars might still be found at some American banks for face value. The Morgan dollars price will be based on silver and other market forces.

jtk

ron david
11-29-2015, 10:22 PM
I just gave one to my granddaughter
ron

Brian Deakin
12-01-2015, 2:25 PM
Is there a reason they need to be Morgan dollars and not the less expensive (clad material) Eisenhower dollars?

Eisenhower dollars might still be found at some American banks for face value. The Morgan dollars price will be based on silver and other market forces.

jtk

Thank you for your post

The reasons for wanting Morgann silver dollers are Another boy who is a member of the Junior Magic Circle has them and they are a weight/ size suitable for magic tricks

If the Eisenhower dollers are of a similar weight and size they also would be suitable

regards Brian

george wilson
12-03-2015, 1:42 PM
Colonial Williamsburg gift shop sells repro Spanish coins that are a bit larger and a bit thicker than the old silver dollars. They are beautifully done,too. Not made of silver. Nickle alloys probably.

Mike Berrevoets
12-03-2015, 6:05 PM
I have quite a few of them. I'm guessing shipping across the pond might be a little spendy but if you are interested in buying some at a fair price and paying the shipping I'm happy to send some over.

They are garden variety Morgan silver dollars that have been in circulation so they show some wear.

Jim Koepke
12-03-2015, 7:43 PM
If the Eisenhower dollers are of a similar weight and size they also would be suitable

A Morgan silver dollar is 2.14 grams heavier than an Eisenhower dollar. The are the same size.

Not sure if Peace dollars, minted 1921-1928 and 1934-1935, would be less expensive than the Morgan dollars. Most of the common dates are valued at their silver content.

Another way to get some nice silver dollars that may cost a bit more is through the U.S. Mint:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/

http://catalog.usmint.gov/coin-programs/american-eagle-coins/?_ga=1.34050854.66180248.1444198642#prefn1=coinFin ish&prefn2=metalType&prefv1=uncirculated&prefv2=silver

I think the shipping is included. Not sure if that is the same for overseas buyers.

jtk