PDA

View Full Version : Bowl with carved handles and feet, 1st try

John K Jordan
11-28-2015, 6:37 PM
John Lucas gave a demo at the Knoxville woodturning club a few months ago on making a turned bowl with carved feet and handles. I had never tried this so I decided to make an attempt. I set my light diffuser cube up the other day so I finally got a picture.

This is from dry Bradford Pear, oil finish. I decided to go for the tendrils look. This is probably too fragile to be functional.

Here is the pre-carved turning:

I learned a lot from this first try. The hardest thing with such a big foot ring is turning the sides and bottom with curves that will end up as one continuous curve. This one came out just right but if I do another one I think I'll make a template. I will probably try for a better balance between the handles and feet.

Carved with a Foredom, carving gouges, sharp knife and riffler files, smoothed with files and sandpaper on a stick.

I wimped out on making the sides smooth between the handles. I used a small carbide burr in a Dremel to stipple the band.

JKJ

mike ash
11-28-2015, 7:27 PM
Carving is way out of my skill bucket, but I can see that you have a knack for it!! Nice job.

Bruce Page
11-28-2015, 7:59 PM
That is very nice! I think I like the dimpled band look better than I would a blended band.

Bob Bergstrom
11-28-2015, 8:44 PM
That is very nice! I think I like the dimpled band look better than I would a blended band.
+1 on the dimples. All works well together. It will be a challenge to improve much on the next one.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2015, 8:54 PM
Beautifully done!

Thomas Canfield
11-28-2015, 8:55 PM
Definitely not a functional piece. but definitely eyecandy. Well done.

Dennis Ford
11-28-2015, 9:40 PM
Beautiful turning (and photography).

John K Jordan
11-28-2015, 9:56 PM
Beautiful turning (and photography).
Thank you! For photos I use a cheap home made light diffuser cube made out of PVC pipe and some thin white cloth. The floor/back is a curved piece of grey mat board from the framing store. Lit with two bright CFL photo bulbs from Amazon and one daylight LED for highlights. Canon 70D on a tripod, wired shutter release. This setup makes it hard to mess up a shot too bad. Photoshop for the quick composite - was in the graphic arts field before I retired about 10 years ago. Good clean fun!

JKJ

Michelle Rich
11-29-2015, 5:58 AM
stellar work!

Brian McInturff
11-29-2015, 6:40 AM
Beautiful craftsmanship there John!

William C Rogers
11-29-2015, 6:47 AM
Very nice piece. Way above my skill.

Hayes Rutherford
11-29-2015, 8:35 AM
John, you obviously have skills and this piece sure shows it. I look forward to seeing second and third attempts!

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Very impressive work - both the carving and photography! Thanks for sharing!

David C. Roseman
11-29-2015, 12:19 PM
John, beautiful work. What type of tool rest are you using in the in-progress pic?

John K Jordan
11-29-2015, 1:33 PM
John, beautiful work. What type of tool rest are you using in the in-progress pic?

Thanks! The tool rest is my favorite short rest, bought it somewhere probably 10-15 years ago. Sorry, can't remember any details. I like the way the top can be put very close to the work.

It is extremely simple and sturdy, a flat piece of steel welded to a 1" rod at an angle, bevel machined on the top. I have both materials on hand and was thinking about making a few, different sizes. I might angle the ends a bit to fit better into an occasional tighter spot. Maybe not.

JKJ