PDA

View Full Version : Millers Falls Miter Box - Instruction Manual Available

Jim Koepke
11-27-2015, 5:38 PM
Chris Schwarz posted a .pdf of the instruction manual for Millers Falls Langdon Miter box at:

https://lostartpress.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/setting-up-a-millers-falls-miter-box1.pdf

Sure to be a help to someone.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
11-27-2015, 6:30 PM
Thank you Jim! I plan to buy one some day. This will be nice to have.
Fred

Nicholas Lawrence
11-27-2015, 7:13 PM
Thanks for posting that Jim. Mine looks superficially like that one, but is missing a lot of the nicer features. A knock off perhaps. In any event, I found features on mine I did not know it had, so thanks!

Tom M King
11-27-2015, 7:28 PM
I have a drawer full of old manuals that came with all the tools I bought new. I'll bet there is one of those buried close to the bottom in that drawer.

Dave Cullen
11-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks, Jim. I have one of those with the original back saw. Never figured out when to use it.

Phil Mueller
11-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks Jim. I have a Stanley...but similar features. Apparently I'm missing both side stop guides. Other than that these vintage miter boxes cut dead accurate and worth cleaning up.

lowell holmes
11-28-2015, 12:57 PM
I have a drawer full of old manuals that came with all the tools I bought new. I'll bet there is one of those buried close to the bottom in that drawer.

I have to ask. Are any of them unread? I get the impression that this crew might very well not read the manuals. :)

Stew Denton
11-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Thanks Jim,

I have a Langdon, and my son in law has one just like mine. Ours are models that are a bit different than the one shown, but they are Langdon boxes none the same. Even though I have a model that is a bit different than the one shown, the manual is still extremely useful, none the less.

Thanks again and regards,

Stew

Tom M King
11-28-2015, 1:28 PM
I have to ask. Are any of them unread? I get the impression that this crew might very well not read the manuals. :)

I expect all are unread. I just tossed them in the drawer. Silverfish may have eaten them by now.

Stew Denton
11-28-2015, 3:20 PM
Hi Lowell,

I always try to save and file the manuals and parts lists that come with tools. I also try to print off manuals for vintage tools I end up with, if I can find them.

That said, from what I can gather from your note, you are implying that I should read them!?

(Well, I actually try to read them, but it is a lot more fun just to use them.)

Stew

lowell holmes
11-28-2015, 6:35 PM
I'm not good about reading very far into the manual either. If it's a tool that could hurt me bad, I'll read it, but otherwise . . . . . . . .

Rob Luter
11-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks Jim. I have a couple of those mitre boxes and the historical perspective is appreciated.

Jim Koepke
11-29-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm not good about reading very far into the manual

I try to read tool manuals if they are not too tedious. Sometimes there is a little nugget of information shedding light on things one may have never known otherwise.

jtk

Gary Herrmann
12-03-2015, 7:55 AM
Thanks Jim, that's a nicer electronic version than I had previously had. My #74 and I thank you.

Jonathan Martell
12-04-2015, 9:49 PM
Thanks for posting that. I have one of those that I picked up at a yard sale a few years ago. It does make nice cuts.

Glen Canaday
12-02-2016, 5:11 PM
Since this thread isn't quite a year old yet (only 363 days since last post!) and I have found a renewed vigor for completing and restoring my old Langdon Acme, would anyone have a manual around for the mitre boxes with the slots in the bed that MF made for 40 years? This manual is for the next model after!

Jim Koepke
12-02-2016, 7:36 PM
This is usually my starting place for such items:

http://www.toolemera.com

They do have a contact option. If there is something you are seeking that isn't already on the site, they may have information as to where it can be found.

jtk

J. Greg Jones
12-03-2016, 5:54 AM
Here is a Langdon reference site that has what you are looking for:

https://sites.google.com/site/langdonmitreboxes/home

Glen Canaday
12-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Here is a Langdon reference site that has what you are looking for:

https://sites.google.com/site/langdonmitreboxes/home

Been there many, many times ;)
The one he has for download is the same one as is listed here and all over the internet now.

I'm looking more for the manual for the model family just before that. It had different stock holding. The one I have is a 73A that is identical to the 74A from the 1940's that is pictured on his google picture page:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/111365534511747187348

I'm mostly interested in the parts list so that I can tell when mine is finally complete. The catalogs I've seen from MF skip this version of the box. There is the Acme without length stops in the 1938 catalog, and then the Acme without the stock rests (and thus no slots in the beds) in the 1949. There's a model in the middle. I am not aware of a catalog with a parts diagram between 38 and 49!