PDA

View Full Version : Upset With Amazon

Jim Koepke
11-27-2015, 2:28 PM
I ordered a book hoping to get it before a certain date.

It is published in England so it was ordered from a vendor with "ships from Illinois" in the description.

Imagine my dismay when last week the shipping notice tells me it will be here in a few weeks as it is being shipped internationally.

I do not know if there is a way to discover these things before purchase since I do not buy through Amazon very often.

I guess my only recourse is to let my dissatisfaction be known through feedback.

jtk

Bruce Page
11-27-2015, 3:02 PM
I would guess that I have placed well over 100 orders with Amazon with only 2 issues. One was a pair of fold up plastic saw horses that arrived damaged and the other was just last week when LOML ordered some clothing and a box of expensive sun screen was delivered instead. Both were corrected painlessly and quickly.

The two international orders I have made took a little longer to arrive than the normal 2-3 days but, I don't remember waiting terribly long for them.

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-27-2015, 3:12 PM
If you ordered it from another vendor through Amazon, then it's not really Amazon's fault, is it?

We probably place well over 200 orders/year with Amazon, and have never had a problem. They make is hard to want to shop anywhere else.

Jim Koepke
11-27-2015, 3:16 PM
If you ordered it from another vendor through Amazon, then it's not really Amazon's fault, is it?

To me, Amazon is part of the problem if a vendor can include deceptive information in their description. People like me will pay extra to have something ship from the U.S. instead of overseas.

If Amazon doesn't vet their vendors statements, who will?

jtk

Kent Adams
11-27-2015, 3:43 PM
To me, Amazon is part of the problem if a vendor can include deceptive information in their description. People like me will pay extra to have something ship from the U.S. instead of overseas.

jtk

Jim, I've been ordering from Amazon since 1999. Feedback should be product based. In this case, there was a user error. You ordered a product, via Amazon, but not from Amazon. You can give feedback on the seller on the seller's page. However, it should be restricted to the product you receive and then in your comments, you should mention the long shipment. Amazon is not the responsible party here, the reseller is. I ordered a $2500 Rinnai heater one time from Amazon. It was damaged when it arrived. Most retailers would have asked for the unit back before sending me a new one. Amazon sent me a new one, asked me to keep the first one, just in case I needed to take some parts from the first one if the 2nd one was damaged. That's spectacular service. If you ordered through a reseller, your problem is with the reseller, not Amazon. Let Amazon know you had an issue and they will either force the reseller to make it right, or they will ban the reseller.

Jay Jolliffe
11-27-2015, 3:49 PM
I ordered something at the beginning of last week. They sent out a notice I'd have it on Nov 30th or Dec 3rd it came Nov 24th so you can't always go by what they say...

Chuck Wintle
11-27-2015, 3:54 PM
I ordered a camera once on Amazon and the order arrived promptly. They had charged me brokerage fees on the order when the seller stated they there would be none. One email and they credited me the amount. Painless.

Myk Rian
11-27-2015, 4:08 PM
It is published in England so it was ordered from a vendor with "ships from Illinois" in the description.
Sooo, it isn't the fault of Amaon.

Scott DelPorte
11-27-2015, 4:24 PM
I ordered a cheapo carbide glass cutter from a vendor on Amazon, and when the order was placed it had a expected delivery date of a couple days with free shipping. A couple days later, it hadn't showed up, so I checked again, and the expected delivery date was pushed out by over a month. I needed the glass cutter for a project, so it meant couldn't wait. I was only out a few bucks, but it was annoying that they could change the shipping so drastically.

I contacted Amazon to cancel, and asked for my money back. The item had already shipped, so the vendor contacted me and said that they would refund me after I returned it to them. It was going to take a month since the shipment was currently on a container ship coming from China. I contacted the vendor again, and told that it was not acceptable, and they they needed to refund me immediately, and that I would return it after I received it if they send me the proper shipping authorization so I wouldn't be charged. I told them that unless they refunded me immediately, I would complain to Amazon about their deceptive practice with the shipping dates. To my surprise they refunded me right away, but never sent a shipping authorization. I still have it in the original envelope waiting to send it back, but it probably costs them more to mail it back than it is worth.

glenn bradley
11-27-2015, 4:37 PM
If the order is not fulfilled by Amazon, they are only the mechanism through which the order is processed. You can click on the suppliers link or "buying options" links listed with the item and contact them directly. You can also provide feedback through Amazon but, I would be sure to mention that your dissatisfaction is with "XYZ Booksellers" so that folks get the right message.

Jebediah Eckert
11-27-2015, 5:09 PM

jtk

I am with you Jim, I have had similar problems in the last year. Amazon is amazing and nearly flawless for sure. However, I now ONLY buy from "Amazon" as the seller. Whenever I have ventured off to the "other" sellers is when I have run into problems with inconsistent ship times etc. I will say any issue I have had were fixedl. I bought a few small items to get up to free shipping that I needed for the shop. I could have picked them up but figured why not. Both items ended up being shipped international and took forever. If there was any indication this was going to happen prior to the order I didn't notice it, maybe there was..... Now I just keep it simple, Amazon only and I have had zero issues with anything ever ordered that way.

Dave Lehnert
11-27-2015, 5:24 PM
What was the book?

Paul McGaha
11-27-2015, 5:48 PM
We're big supporters of Amazon. We really like them and use them a lot. It's been our experience that most of the items we purchase ship quickly, but not everything. Some things do seem to take an extra several days to ship. From what I remember books and CD's can be kind of hit or miss when it comes to shipping.

PHM

Mark Blatter
11-27-2015, 6:57 PM
I typically order 1-3 times a day from Amazon for work. Most of the time they are very good at fulfilling the orders. I recently ordered a large number of small screw drivers and expected, when I placed the order, that it would tell me only a certain number could be shipped. It didn't so I thought my order would arrive on time. After the fact I found out that only about 25% of them were filled timely. I am still waiting for the remaining ones.

This was truly the exception though. Almost always, things ship timely and arrive safe. Worst experience was when I bought a Saw Stop from them and it arrived with one box destroyed. I sent it back with the delivery truck and they gave me credit immediately.

Nicholas Lawrence
11-27-2015, 7:16 PM
I had that happen once with some refills for a ballpoint pen somebody gave me. They shipped from Switzerland apparently and it took about a month. I thought that should have been a little clearer in the description.

Brian Elfert
11-28-2015, 9:01 AM
How is Amazon supposed to verify that a third party seller is really shipping items from where they say they are shipping from? I bet the seller you bought from ships most of their books from Illinois, but they had to order that one from overseas.

I have noticed a lot of Ebay sellers now just United States as their location instead of the city and state. Sometimes I want to know where the seller is located so I can have an idea of how long a shipment might take. Many sellers drop ship stuff from elsewhere so that doesn't always help.

Art Mann
11-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Blaming Amazon for sales from other vendors is like going to a mall to buy a cheap radio from Radio Shack and then blaming the mall owner when it doesn't work.

Dick Strauss
11-30-2015, 10:10 AM
The mall owner isn't taking your payment and acting as a middleman...

Matt Meiser
11-30-2015, 6:58 PM
OK, then its about like buying something at an antique mall/gallery/etc and blaming the owner when the item turns out to be a fake.

Kent Adams
11-30-2015, 8:02 PM
The mall owner isn't taking your payment and acting as a middleman...

That depends. Many malls sell purchase gift cards which can be used to purchase anything from the retailers in the mall. Amazon is essentially doing the same thing and then charging their reseller's rent for Amazon's space. Amazon does a pretty good job of culling bad resellers.

Dave Lehnert
11-30-2015, 9:42 PM
Anyone see on the Today Show where in New York City Amazon offers an one hour delivery service? They placed an order for some DVD's and Cd's and were delivered in much less than an hour time.

Bonnie Campbell
12-02-2015, 8:22 AM
I've learned to read where things are shipped through pretty good. I've been looking for a Hugga Bunch movie for my sister. One on Amazon said straight out it shipped from England. Another said Illinois, but had 'international shipping' in the description. They'll try slipping that by you, knowing you want USA shipping.

I'd learned my lesson when ordering a "Russian" scarf from an American shipper. Yep, waited two months for it to arrive from Russia.....

Dick Strauss
12-02-2015, 9:04 AM
Lots of international sellers on Amazon don't state their shipping location and use names like MiamiElectronics to make you think they are US based. You find out if you look closely at the shipping dates. As an example, I was looking for a potentiometer to fix a machine. I found several that promised free shipping as long as you were willing to wait until Dec 20-27th. They could expedite the $6 worth of parts (2oz) for me and I could get it by Dec 10th for only $30 extra. Needless to say, I chose another vendor.