PDA

View Full Version : Quality of iGaging Squares

George Bokros
11-27-2015, 11:55 AM
I want a 6" combination square but can't afford to spend the $$'s for a Starrett so I was thinking of iGaging. The reviews on Amazon have me concerned about the quality.

If anyone has an iGaging square what are you o[pinions? Is there one that is better than iGauging but not as costly as a Starrett?

Thanks

Mike Henderson
11-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Try PEC. You can find blems at good prices. Do a Google search and you'll probably find some. There's a guy on eBay that has a store selling blems and had PEC combination squares at good prices. I bought some PEC double squares (blems) and was satisfied.

I have some igauging double squares and they're good, but the PECs are better.

Mike

[And think about a double square with a 6" blade instead of a 6" combination square.]

[Try eBay item 141455406886 for a PEC blem 6" combination square. $29.99. Then you can look through his store.]

[oops, that's a 12". Sorry. Here's a 6" double square - 131336515755]

[Here's a 6" PEC - 131496495388. $27.99]

glenn bradley
11-27-2015, 12:33 PM
What is your budget? If you don't want to spend for a Starrett I would go with a PEC. I actually prefer my PECs (smoother movement, better finish) although I have a nice Starrett received as a gift. I use a combo square many. many times a week. The per-use cost divided over even one year is pretty small. Coffee costs much more and is used less :).

George Bokros
11-27-2015, 12:54 PM
[And think about a double square with a 6" blade instead of a 6" combination square.]

I have a PEC 6" double square but am thinking that having the ability to use the 45* feature on the combination square would be helpful.

Frederick Skelly
11-27-2015, 1:55 PM
George,
FWIW, I bit the bullet 2 years ago and got myself the Starrett Combo Square for Christmas. Nice tool and I haven't regretted it a minute. Mine's not the least bit fussy or sticky.

I don't know about their combo squares, but I have a 4" igaging double square and a 4" lee valley double square. The igaging is very sticky - wish I had bought the lee valley first. Don't know if lee valley sells their own combo square - might be worth a look for you.

I've heard nothing but good about PEC and PEC blems.

Fred

glenn bradley
11-27-2015, 1:57 PM
George,
FWIW, I bit the bullet 2 years ago and got myself the Starrett Combo Square for Christmas. Nice tool and I haven't regretted it a minute. Mine's not the least bit fussy or sticky.

I don't know about their combo squares, but I have a 4" igaging double square and a 4" lee valley double square. The igaging is very sticky - wish I had bought the lee valley first. Don't know if lee valley sells their own combo square - might be worth a look for you.

I've heard nothing but good about PEC and PEC blems.

Fred

Just for clarity, the Lee Valley squares are made by PEC. At one time this was true for Woodcraft as well but, don't know now.

Rick Lizek
11-27-2015, 2:09 PM
I have a Starret and a 4 piece Mitutoyo and I wanted something for so I took a chance on a Grizzly
https://www.grizzly.com/products/4-pc-Combination-Square-12-/G5726.
For $33 it's a very good deal. Every bit as good as my expensive squares and the fact that the scribe screws in sets it apart from expensive squares which are slip fits. Everything slides nicely and the numbers are etched in. Worth a look.

Dave Cav
11-29-2015, 12:38 AM
I have a couple of PEC 4" double squares, one lives in my apron pocket and one is a backup. I love them. I also have a couple of the iGaging 4" double squares. I use them at school where they are subject to more abuse and potential loss or damage. If you clean them up with a needle file and some fine sandpaper they work fine but aren't nearly as nice as the PEC, but they work ok.

Ben Rivel
11-29-2015, 12:58 AM
I have to say that after trying a number of cheaper alternatives I save my money now the first time around and only buy Starrett stuff when they make what I need. They are just way better. That being said I do understand money is a deciding factor, so check out the offerings from Woodpeckers. They make some very nice products.

Brian Tymchak
11-29-2015, 9:24 AM
I have a couple of PEC 4" double squares, one lives in my apron pocket and one is a backup. I love them. I also have a couple of the iGaging 4" double squares. I use them at school where they are subject to more abuse and potential loss or damage. If you clean them up with a needle file and some fine sandpaper they work fine but aren't nearly as nice as the PEC, but they work ok.

+1. I bought 3 iGuaging 4" double squares because the price was compelling enough to try the experiment. Like Dave mentioned, I had to file off the powder coat from the base of the screw and the seat to get the squares to stop slipping. And 1 of them still slips a tiny bit. I will not buy any more iGuaging products. My Starrett double squares are rock solid when set.

Mike Henderson
11-29-2015, 10:29 AM
As long as we're talking about upper end squares, take a look at Mitutoyo squares. I like them better than Starrett.

But for things like 4" double squares, the PECs are great. I can't tell the difference between a PEC and a Starrett or a Mitutoyo in those double squares.

Mike

Art Mann
11-29-2015, 11:19 AM
I have only used electronic devices sold under the iGaging brand but they are decidedly inferior to other brands. I wouldn't buy a square from them just for that reason.

Alan Lightstone
11-29-2015, 11:39 AM
I usually go with the Woodpeckers. Been very happy with their products and own a bunch of them.

Never did make the leap to the Starretts, but I do think about it occasionally. But since their isn't really a hole in my lineup for a Starrett, I never made the purchase.

Jesse Busenitz
11-29-2015, 2:13 PM
So what makes Igaging or whatever brand inferior/Starrett superior ? I own a 3" Igaging and I find it works fine for me(square and easy to operate):confused:, and yes it gets use every single day quite extensively. So maybe I'm missing out maybe I'm not?

Mike Henderson
11-29-2015, 3:32 PM
So what makes Igaging or whatever brand inferior/Starrett superior ? I own a 3" Igaging and I find it works fine for me(square and easy to operate):confused:, and yes it gets use every single day quite extensively. So maybe I'm missing out maybe I'm not?

I have iGauging, PEC, Starrett, Mitutoyo, and Lee Valley (probably made by one of the others). The iGauging is not as smooth in operation as most of the others. It seems to be accurate and square so it's very usable. They had a sale on 4" double squares for $10 each a while back and I bought a number of them. I use them in classes I teach and they work fine. But the PEC is smoother and a cosmetic blem is about the same price as the iGauging.

I certainly did not intend to imply that the iGauging is not a good tool. It's just that I prefer the PEC for the price.

Mike

George Bokros
11-30-2015, 5:55 PM
I picked up a Starrett three piece (head, blade and center head) 6" combination square on ebay for $56 delivered to my door. Starrett list is $105.

Leonard Rosen
09-18-2023, 10:57 PM

I have a 12" Igaging Combination Square 4 piece set. I love it. I like to make sure everything is tuned up, cleaned up and waxed to prevent rust. I live in beautiful, south Florida near the Ocean. We have very salty air. I noticed that the Igaging ruler did not slide very well when I took it out of the shipping carton. Everything worked very smoothly once I cleaned and waxed the set. The set is square and flawless.

Michael Rutman
09-19-2023, 10:26 AM
I use my woodpeckers over my starret's for everything except when I have a knife. My Woodpeckers are aluminum and the knife will cut them. I use the Woodpecker every other time because they are as square as the starret and have lots of bells and whistles.

Jimmy Harris
09-19-2023, 11:40 AM
I bought a cheap Empire brand combination square many years ago. It's square, which is all I care about. I'm sure it's not as smooth as some of the fancier ones, and the markings may not last as long since they're printed and not etched, but that doesn't bother me. I use it for comparative measurements, not absolute, anyway.

Now I also have an Empire brand sliding T bevel, and that thing is a piece of junk. It's hard to lock down and won't hold an angle when you do.

Robert Hayward
09-19-2023, 2:19 PM
This is a very interesting thread, do you realize it is eight years old?

I have a 6" PEC blemish that gets used a lot when I am in my hobby shop playing. I also have a frequently used Starrett 12" with the three different heads. With the level bubble broken of course. I have had the Starrett for over fifty years and have no idea how I came to be the owner of a tool that expensive as young as I was when acquired.

Also have a cheapie 6" hanging on the wall for anyone wanting to borrow one. The slide works so rough I have had it returned telling me they do not know how I could use something that worked that poorly.

Doug Colombo
09-19-2023, 9:49 PM
Woodpeckers has a newer stainless steel blade version. One thing they have is a head support that keeps the square on the work piece.

I don’t own one of these (yet) but I have many Woodpecker tools and they are all excellent quality and perform well.

Bill Dufour
09-20-2023, 12:28 AM
I like the cyanide finish on older Starrett tools. Outlawed by do gooders decades ago.
Bill D

Leonard Rosen
09-20-2023, 10:21 AM
This is a very interesting thread, do you realize it is eight years old?

I have a 6" PEC blemish that gets used a lot when I am in my hobby shop playing. I also have a frequently used Starrett 12" with the three different heads. With the level bubble broken of course. I have had the Starrett for over fifty years and have no idea how I came to be the owner of a tool that expensive as young as I was when acquired.

Also have a cheapie 6" hanging on the wall for anyone wanting to borrow one. The slide works so rough I have had it returned telling me they do not know how I could use something that worked that poorly.

This thread is 8 years old....Your Starrett is 50 years old. What's the point? It's all OK.

Leonard Rosen
09-20-2023, 1:41 PM
I purchased the Igaging 12 inch Combination Square 4 piece set. I love it. It came with a beautiful plastic case. It is very accurate. Perfectly square. The heads are hardened steel. Be aware that you will have to do some light finishing such as using 0000 steel wool on the 12 inch ruler edges and a drop of 2in1 oil on the tightening knobs. Clean it and put some paste wax on the heads to prevent rust (this you have to do for Starrett and PEC as well). Other than that, as nice as the more expensive tools from Starrett and PEC. It will probably last you forever if you take care of it.