PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Incra TS-LS table saw fence and rails

Scott Brandstetter
11-26-2015, 9:56 PM
Seems like an odd setup, nothing I'm certainly used to.  With the adjustments in the middle of the table, does it take long to get used to?  Any feed back appreciated

Eric Schmid
11-27-2015, 12:11 AM
I have 3 table saws and one with a Jointech fence (same lead screw/t-fence). I've never had an issue adjusting to the different fences. That said I prefer this style fence for a router table and tolerate it as a table saw fence. It takes up a lot of room in dual purpose mode with a router table to left or right of the saw. It has to be flipped for routing or sawing and the assembly is not self aligning to the table saw blade so it needs to be checked for square each time it's moved. If you use a sled much it's a bit of a hassle to take it on and off the table. Maybe the Incra has a better lock down mechanism, but mine is locked down with knobs; one on the bridge and one on the fence.

I love the split fence and often use it for edge joining with a router. The micro adjustment is great and very easy to get to the exact measurement. The vacuum attachment on the fence is very helpful for collecting during routing operations.

A good router fence, not a very practical table saw fence. It works fine for both, and is great for creeping up on a cut, but too much fuss for me to recommend it as a table saw fence.

Chris Merriam
11-27-2015, 12:28 AM
I'm very happy with mine. Yes you need more room to the right, but fortunately the way my shop is laid out it doesn't cost me anything. The fence extends into my bandsaw out feed area, so if I use the bandsaw I just make sure the fence is at around 20 inches or so.

I never take the fence off, my sled fits with the fence fully retracted. I also have yet to use the fence lockdown knobs, instead relying on the central clamp.

The repeat measurements are just as great as you would expect, and it's great knowing you can get down to a 64th.

P.s. If you're ever in Lexington you're welcome to come try it out

Clint Baxter
11-27-2015, 8:14 AM
I really like mine. The repeatability is the biggest plus of the system. The fact that you set it to the desired measurement via the scale and it locks into final place as the teeth engage on the lead screw, will keep each rip precisely the same. Even if you've the fence in the meantime. I usually lock my fence knob on the front of the fence in addition to the bridge lock, but don't always. Haven't really had any problems with the fence holding parallel to the blade. I currently use the 25" LS on my table saw but have the 37" on my router table. I plan on swapping them when I build my new shop and have enough room to accommodate the longer fence. Do keep in mind that you need the extra space to the right of the saw for those wider rips. FWIW, I have it on a PM2000 and didn't have any real issues when it was installed.

There mate some leaning over to use the measurement scale(s) as they fall in the middle of the extension table. The extra scales you can attach are useful if you want to use a separate scale with a dado blade. It's extremely easy to adjust the primary scale, needing only to lift it off its magnetic strip and slide it to the correct location.

I use use hold downs mounted to the fence and the ease of attachment of items to the extruded fence is another plus. If you are going to use the hold downs, however, you need to tighten the lock at the front of the fence to prevent lifting.

Clint