PDA

View Full Version : Need help with MS Outlook mail

Ole Anderson
11-26-2015, 9:20 AM
I previously posted that I was unable to find my key to Win 7 after reloading it so I ended up getting a new laptop. My 8 year old Dell Inspiron 1525 cost me about $1200, my new Dell Inspiron 5000 series with an i3 chip was $400!

Anyway, I used Windows Easy Transfer to migrate my files and settings to the new laptop while in FL. When I got home I found my Office 2003 disk and loaded Outlook from there. Now I get a recurring message ("Task "ole-receiving" reported error (0x800408FC): The server name you entered can not be found on the network...Please verify that you are online and the server name is correct.") Send works OK, but I cannot receive mail.

I checked the Internet E-mail Settings (Pop 3) and they are identical between the two machines, the Incoming mail server (Pop 3): is mail.comcast.net in both cases. And when I do the Test Account Settings test everything passes including finding the incoming mail server. I have rebooted several times, no help there.

Any ideas?

Rich Engelhardt
11-26-2015, 9:34 AM
Disable IPV6 on the new machine.

(lots of hit come up when you Google the error - nearly all say disable IPV6)

Ole Anderson
11-26-2015, 9:52 AM
Rich,

I did see something about IPV6 vs IPV4 when I googled the problem but I guess I didn't go far enough to see the item about disabling IPV6. I googled how to do that and it worked. Thank you. Looks like I need to do that individually with all of my possible connections? Or is there a global option there?

By the way I checked the settings on the old computer, IPV6 was not disabled.

Rich Engelhardt
11-26-2015, 10:20 AM
Ole,
Go into control panel, then select Network and sharing, then select change adapter settings.
For each adapter that's there, right click it and uncheck the IPV6 block.
That's the closest thing I can think of to a global setting.

Greg Cuetara
11-29-2015, 9:32 AM
Ole,

I would not try to just copy the settings for comcast. My father has comcast and they have changed their protocal recently and it has mucked everything up with his email.

My suggestion would be to start from scratch, google comcast and setting up email and there is a nice little tutorial on the settings to use. Once you get the right protocal it should all work no problem.

If you are changing computers it is sometimes better to reset settings like that from scratch rather than try to copy them over. It may have worked for the old operating system but not with the new one.

Good luck,
Greg

Ole Anderson
11-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys, I have it working now. I unchecked the IPV6 block and it worked. Then I went back in and re-enabled IPV6 it and it still works.