PDA

View Full Version : What are the advantages of parallel clamps?

Frederick Skelly
11-25-2015, 2:01 PM
Right now there are a TON of parallel clamps on sale. I've searched the archives and decided that if I buy any, I'll grab at least 4 of the JETs. Probably in 24" length.

But I have plenty of F-clamps, mostly Jorgensen, in several sizes. So I keep asking myself "what would parallel clamps do for me that my F-clamps won't?"

For me, this isnt a question of "you can never have enough clamps." I never, ever run out of clamps - got plenty.

Please teach me guys. What does a parallel clamp do for me (or do better for me) than my Jorgy's? Most of what I make is small furniture - end tables, kid chairs, decorative boxes, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Fred

Reinis Kanders
11-25-2015, 2:11 PM
They are self supporting so it is easy to glue up boxes and panels. I also sometimes just use the bottom bar as a reference and use smaller F clamp to pull stuff against it, worked well when gluing up my workbench top.

Kent Adams
11-25-2015, 2:24 PM
Who is selling the Jet parallels at 1/2 off? I can't find it?

Frederick Skelly
11-25-2015, 2:32 PM
Who is selling the Jet parallels at 1/2 off? I can't find it?

Anyone who handles JET, starting Friday.

Edit: Ken's right. Woodcraft.com and I think Rockler.com.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-25-2015, 2:32 PM
Kent,

I think Woodcraft is halving 1/2 off sale. IIRC.

I was wrong. It must have been last month's sale.

glenn bradley
11-25-2015, 2:35 PM
Parallel clamps square up your work, do not pull things out of alignment (this is the driving reason for me), act as supports, convert to spreaders, I'm sure there's more . ..

Randy Rose
11-25-2015, 3:03 PM
[QUOTE=glenn bradley I'm sure there's more . ..[/QUOTE]

They don`t try to rotate when tightened.

Have larger jaw surface area.

Bessey ( perhaps other brands) can be combined with an extender to double their length.

I`m sure there`s more

Frederick Skelly
11-25-2015, 5:28 PM
Thanks Glenn! Thanks Randy!

Jim Andrew
11-25-2015, 9:59 PM
Menards is having Jorgensen Cabinet master parallel clamps as well as the 4 5/8 deep f clamps on sale till Dec 6. Last time I looked, they had the new style cabinet masters with the plastic handles.

Frederick Skelly
11-26-2015, 6:44 AM
Thanks Jim!