PDA

View Full Version : Getting wax off

Chris Daigh
09-01-2005, 2:56 PM
I bought some madrone burls with wax on them. I want to remove the wax from the part that has the points where the bark was if that makes sense. I doubt it can be done but if it can I figured you guys would know. I wasn't going to turn the wood but if I can't get the wax off then I might just have to speed up the lathe purchase.

Charles E. Martin V
09-01-2005, 3:05 PM
Can you put up a pic so it's more clear what we're talking about?

Don Baer
09-01-2005, 8:30 PM
Chris,
I just tried some Paint brush cleaner from ACE Hardware on a bowl blank that I have sitting around and it seemed to cut it pretty good. You might try soaking it in something like that. This stuff I have contains petroleum based solvent so it might just work.

Jim Becker
09-01-2005, 9:13 PM
Mineral spirits will disolve most waxes. Do remember that this madrone will likely be quite "wet"...the sealing keeps it that way since it's the prefered state for turning. Madrone moves A LOT as it dries, to keep that in mind for whatever you choose to use it. Folks actually work it for that very property...distortion once it's dry.

Chris Daigh
09-02-2005, 9:19 AM
I will try those, I just wanted to preserve the deformation that was under the bark. Hopefully this will remove the wax. Thanks