PDA

View Full Version : veneer sources

Dave Cullen
11-24-2015, 4:50 PM
I want to use some colored veneers as accents in cutting boards. They'll be on edge, so face grain isn't important. I want real wood though, not dyed. All I can find is either small pieces like 12" long or 8 ft slices off a log. Looking for black (Ebony maybe), red (bloodwood?) and white. Where should I look?

Mike Henderson
11-24-2015, 5:40 PM
You can buy dyed veneer in many colors at B&B Rare Woods. Certainly Wood carries bloodwood - or used to. I doubt if you're going to find black ebony veneer - I use dyed black veneer.

Mike

Gene Takae
11-25-2015, 2:00 AM
Just curious Dave-are you planning on making curved or straight accents with the veneer?

Michelle Rich
11-25-2015, 5:57 AM
try Joe Woodworker site lots of sizes & colors

Dave Richards
11-25-2015, 7:01 AM
Any reason not to make your own?

John K Jordan
11-25-2015, 9:56 AM
Woodturner Frank Penta uses a LOT of colored woods as accents and overall design in his turnings. He cuts almost all of them from solid wood then runs them through a drum sander before gluing. He uses purple heart, bloodwood, oak, maple, walnut, almost anything. None if it that I saw was dyed.

I used walnut to transition between cherry and basswood both to accent and to allow robust gluing for an end grain turning blank. I sliced english walnut on the bandsaw then ran it through the Performax drum sander to smooth and flatten to uniform thickness. Worked well.

I wanted the basswood so I could do a bit of chip carving.

JKJ

Dave Cullen
11-25-2015, 10:15 AM
You can buy dyed veneer in many colors at B&B Rare Woods. Certainly Wood carries bloodwood - or used to. I doubt if you're going to find black ebony veneer - I use dyed black veneer.

Mike

Yuh they have some.

I was advised by a dyed veneer vendor that the dyes are not food safe. Not good for a cutting board.

Just curious Dave-are you planning on making curved or straight accents with the veneer?

Curved. I'm intending to make a few of the boards designed by Scotty Lewis published in FWW a couple years ago.

try Joe Woodworker site lots of sizes & colors

Looks like it'll cost me some money. Maybe use Rosewood for the black. Thanks.

Any reason not to make your own?

I'm not equipped to make veneers that are under .030" thick.

Mark Philippi
11-25-2015, 4:18 PM
I use 1/16" Wenge from Certainly wood for cutting board features. It look black when the oil is applied.

Barry McFadden
11-25-2015, 5:22 PM
I buy wood and veneer here if it helps you.. http://www.forloversofwood.com/

Mike Berrevoets
11-25-2015, 6:01 PM
I've made about 6 of those cutting boards for charity auctions. I've found using a 3/8 router bit that 4 plies/veneers fill the 3/8 void perfectly and they are flexible enough. So they end up being a little less than 1/8 thick. I thickness them on my lunchbox planer. Some get "eaten" along the way so I always plan on making some extra. I just use maple, walnut and cherry scraps.