PDA

View Full Version : Stuffing

Pat Barry
11-24-2015, 1:48 PM
Every year for Thanksgiving I make stuffing. It started back in the 80's from the Betty Crocker cookbook. Each year I do things a bit different because I don't write down the recipe. The basic ingredients are butter, chopped yellow onions (sometimes white) & equal amount of chopped celery. Cook the celery and onion in a frying pan with lots of butter til the onions are translucent. Then pour that stuff into a container while I get a couple tubes of Jimmy Dean pork sausage (sometimes with herbs) browned up in the pan that cooked the onions and celery, adding a bit of butter of course. Then when the sausage is done I throw the onions and celery back in with the sausage to instill those flavors into the sausage and vice versa.. I finish the stuffing off with a couple bags of store bought bread crumbs, sometimes plain, sometimes with herbs, sometimes a mixture with chicken broth and water (half and half) and then mix in the sauage, onion, celery concocotion. Some years I have added in apples, other years I have put in mushrooms, other years carrots with the onion and celery base. Mostly I stick to the basics.

Half of the stuffing goes into the bird for roasting, the other half goes into a baking pan and cooked alongside the turkey for the last 1/2 hour or so.

Personally I like to mix the two stuffings together, but the bird stuffing always is preferred by folks over the pan baked stuffing

What do you all do?

Hungry yet?

Rod Sheridan
11-24-2015, 2:00 PM
Hi Pat, we do something very similar except we keep the pork sausage out of turkey so that everyone can eat the turkey and stuffing.

We use loaves of herb bread, dried for a few days as the main part of the stuffing.

When I was a kid, my Mom would make potato stuffing, no bread used............Regards, Rod.

Chuck Wintle
11-24-2015, 4:15 PM
Every year for Thanksgiving I make stuffing. It started back in the 80's from the Betty Crocker cookbook. Each year I do things a bit different because I don't write down the recipe. The basic ingredients are butter, chopped yellow onions (sometimes white) & equal amount of chopped celery. Cook the celery and onion in a frying pan with lots of butter til the onions are translucent. Then pour that stuff into a container while I get a couple tubes of Jimmy Dean pork sausage (sometimes with herbs) browned up in the pan that cooked the onions and celery, adding a bit of butter of course. Then when the sausage is done I throw the onions and celery back in with the sausage to instill those flavors into the sausage and vice versa.. I finish the stuffing off with a couple bags of store bought bread crumbs, sometimes plain, sometimes with herbs, sometimes a mixture with chicken broth and water (half and half) and then mix in the sauage, onion, celery concocotion. Some years I have added in apples, other years I have put in mushrooms, other years carrots with the onion and celery base. Mostly I stick to the basics.

Half of the stuffing goes into the bird for roasting, the other half goes into a baking pan and cooked alongside the turkey for the last 1/2 hour or so.

Personally I like to mix the two stuffings together, but the bird stuffing always is preferred by folks over the pan baked stuffing

What do you all do?

Hungry yet?

I am drooling on my desk right now...it sounds delicious!

Von Bickley
11-24-2015, 4:47 PM
Pat,
Our families have always prepared baking pan dressing instead of stuffing. What I usually do is:

1 bag of Pepperidge Farms Dressing Mix - Plain
1 bag of Pepperidge Farm Dressing Mix - Herb Flavored.
Sautéed onion & celery
2 or 3 eggs
Chicken or turkey broth / No water
I will also add a can or 2 of Cream of Chicken Soup to keep it moist. I have thrown in a can of Cream of Celery also.

Now you Northerners like mash potatoes, in the South, we take our rice. The rice & dressing go beside each other on your plate, and then they are covered with turkey gravy.

George Werner
11-24-2015, 6:15 PM
I do pretty much the same recipe as you only I use Tennessee Pride sage flavored sausage. Gotta have the sage in the stuffing!

Pat Barry
11-24-2015, 6:55 PM
Yes, of course, I nearly forgot the sage and poultry seasoning. Thanks for the reminder!

Von, tell me about the eggs. Sounds interesting. I assume they are hardboiled and sliced, yolk and white??

Neil Gaskin
11-24-2015, 8:22 PM
Very similiar, I use some chicken broth and toasted chopped up sour dough and red onions. Never quite the same receipe but similiar. I started keeping track of what I put in to my stuffing and chili recipes hoping to come up with a "standard" but at the end of the day it depends on my mood, whats on hand, and what I didnt forget at the store.

I usually put a few pats of butter on the stuffing when I put it in the oven. It's thanksgiving, Im supposed to use a lot of butter right?

Von Bickley
11-24-2015, 10:40 PM
Yes, of course, I nearly forgot the sage and poultry seasoning. Thanks for the reminder!

Von, tell me about the eggs. Sounds interesting. I assume they are hardboiled and sliced, yolk and white??

No Hardboiled eggs. We put at least 2 or 3 raw eggs in the mixture before we bake the dressing. If I carve up the turkey before I make the dressing, I will put some small pieces of turkey in the dressing also.

Doug W Swanson
11-24-2015, 11:25 PM
http://www.whitecastle.com/food/recipes/recipes/white-castle-turkey-stuffing

This is what I'm making for stuffing this year...:D