PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Laser - Nickel Plating

Tim Bateson
11-23-2015, 10:55 PM
It's been awhile since I've been online. I have an aerospace job -with Nickel Plated Aluminum. The plating is only .0004 thick and I am not allowed to engrave through it. I am assuming settings like Chrome will work? I have to turn this job around by Tuesday afternoon so that's where I'm starting, unless I get some better advice.

I really don't want to have to use Cermark.

Scott Shepherd
11-24-2015, 8:07 AM
I think your only option is to use a high KHz on it. Anything in the 20,000 range is going to burn through it. I'd be up in the 80,000 or above to try and discolor it, rather than actually engraving it.

Tim Bateson
11-24-2015, 11:02 AM
I went with my gut and used the settings for Chrome.

Scott Shepherd
11-24-2015, 11:25 AM
That's through the plating isn't it? Looks like it in the photo. If you can feel it, it's through the plating. That's why I said a high KHz and it would turn it black but not break the surface.

Matt Geraci
11-24-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm playing with high khz settings on some practice material but haven't gotten gutsy enough to take on a job like that yet. What settings did you use?

Tim Bateson
11-25-2015, 9:48 AM
Steve, No, it's what I call a "medical grade" marking - meaning there is no textual feel or ablation of the surface.

Matt, This would vary for each Fiber laser. I used the same settings I use for Chrome surfaces. The result was a light gray/white polished marking.