PDA

View Full Version : Coffee connoisseur

Kyle Stiefel
09-01-2005, 11:46 AM
To all those who enjoy a cup of high octane java, I was wondering if any of you have any of the Pasquini line. I have been on the edge of dropping a charge for a Pasquini Livia 90 for a long time (obviously I am a bit slow because it could buy some nice wood). On the other hand a bit of stimulant would optimally keep very alert therefore paying more attention to safety. So this is my justification.

So do any of you use any type of machine like this?

Thanks,
Kyle

Jim Dunn
09-01-2005, 8:58 PM
Darn!! Folgers always made it for me. 4 cups in the morn and 2 @ quitting time, instead of the normal martini:)

Oh and by the way, honestly, what are you talking about? Something from Star Bucks? My wife tells me all the time I live in a shoe box.

Jim Becker
09-01-2005, 9:21 PM
Kyle, I looked at the Pasquini as well as a few others. But I ended up with the Andreja Premium from Chris' Coffee Service (http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/andrejapremium) and love it. The reviews were super, too. Yea, these things are expensive to buy, but the payback isn't bad when you consider the cost to run out to Starbucks or similar "often". Just stopping eating breakfast/brunch out on the weekends has paid for this machine and the previous (lower end) one!

I think Mark Singer may have the Pasquini, but don't recall specifically.

Jim Dunn
09-02-2005, 9:02 AM
Jim Becker, I looked at your link and am wondering if my 4cupper is really making coffe or dark water:) That one looks like an electrical nightmare gone wild. What happens if it don't work? My leaf blower cost $80.00 to repair and I could by a new one for $150.00. If my coffee (dark water) maker goes bad it's $20.00 to replace.

Jim Becker
09-02-2005, 9:14 AM
Jim, you're correct that it's a more involved machine, but it's also not designed to make basic coffee...which I don't generally drink. Neither Dr. SWMBO or I like it or drink it...tea is preferable. But we both do enjoy espresso drinks; latté for me and cappucinno for her. That's what this machine is designed to deal with. It's kinda like what we think about in our shops sometimes...buying a specialized tool for something we do (or like) a lot. There are less expensive espresso machines, but they don't last very long and you end up re-buying--this is our third in five years and hopefully the last for ten. This machine cost three times what the last one did, but it will also be around and working for a lot longer. It also produces enough steam to make drinks constantly when entertaining...something the basic machines just can't do...you're lucky to get one good drink from them, let alone two or more.

Kyle Stiefel
09-02-2005, 5:30 PM
I ended up with the Andreja Premium from Chris' Coffee Service (http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/andrejapremium) and love it.

Jim,

Chris' Coffee, looks like a quality product. I was not familiar with them until now. Like other things once you think you have narrowed something down it starts opening up again. Sounds like you have also gone through a number of lower models. What is your experience been with grinders? What are you operating and how long have you had it with no problems? One last question I notice they say you can be emailed sale information, do the machines actually ever go on sale (things like this rarely do at least from my experience) ?

Enjoy the holiday weekend.
Kyle

Jim Becker
09-02-2005, 5:54 PM
Kyle, Chris' Coffee is top notch for customer service. I recently got email from them asking for my impressions, etc., and happened to mention one little minor thing I was not understanding. Not only did they respond quickly, they also provided me at no charge something that had been updated on the machine since I bought it. They didn't have to do that at all!

As to the grinder, I bought the Maestro Plus from them at the same time as the espresso machine and am very pleased with it. (My old grinder was also "toast" at that point after many years) It does a great job and is convenient since you can hold the portafilter right under it while grinding. That cuts down on waste and your pull is always from fresh ground beans. I've been using espresso beans from Peets and the latté has been wonderful...as good or better than the various "shops"...

I've never seen the machine go on sale, but it's still about a hundred less than many comparable machines. And again, I can't say enough about the seller...nice folks.

Kyle Stiefel
09-02-2005, 6:39 PM
Jim,

That is good to know Chris' has excellent customer service, I can never get enough of that. Well I will have to do some more research but the Quick Mill machines have appeal. If not they all sell Pasquini products and several others. I will let you know how things go.
Kyle

Jim Becker
09-02-2005, 7:55 PM
Always my pleasure to recommend a vendor that provides top-notch service on top of good products.

Jim Dunn
09-02-2005, 8:29 PM
Tried a cupachino "once". Liked to knocked me off my feet.:):) Thought I was having a heart attack. Just Juan's blend for me, thank you.

Frank Chaffee
09-02-2005, 9:01 PM
In the 70’s, after being awakened to the delights from great caffeine beverages in Europe, I insisted that the waiter at a sidewalk café in Fez, Morocco bring me a second cup of espresso coffee. He was reluctant, but brought the cup. Within two hours I was lying on the floor in a museum, hyperventilating.

Later, I began importing tea from Darjeeling, India and Sri Lanka.

Much safer.

Leo Hill
09-03-2005, 4:19 PM
Why French Press?

Coffee fanatics and connoisseurs maintain that French Press coffee is the best way to experience the daily grind. French Press coffee is a very simple way to achieve an extremely rich and robust cup of coffee.

A Note About the Equipment:

A French Press coffee maker is also known as a "plunger" or a "press pot". The most popular manufacturer is Bodum. Very recently, Starbucks even released a product that is a travel mug/ french press all-in-one combo. All of these products work the same way, the only difference is the "look" of the container. In addition to the French Press, you will also need a tea kettle for boiling water.

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/99/05/frenchpress/images/press200x174.jpg

Coffee Selection:

While any coffee will work in a French Press, some coffees are more desirable than others. Some coffee drinkers prefer dark roast coffee with a full body and medium to low acidity. For example, you might buy a full city or french roasted bean like Sumatra, Tanzania Peaberry, or Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. A coarse grind works best for the French Press. This will ensure that the mesh screen will filter the coffee grounds and separate the liquid from the sediments.

The Process:

Measure two level tablespoons of ground coffee for every six ounces of water, according to Peets Coffee and Tea. Water selection is another topic entirely, but common sense should prevail: the higher quality the water, the better your coffee will taste. Fill the tea kettle cold water and bring the water to a boil. When you pull the water off the flame, it will cool slightly and it will be just a bit under 212 degrees Fahrenheit (that's 100 degrees Celsius at one atmosphere of pressure). Pour the water directly into the French Press over the coffee grounds.

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/99/05/frenchpress/images/pour200x211.jpg

Put the French Press lid on the pot, but do not depress the plunger yet. Putting the lid on the French Press will ensure that your coffee will retain heat for the appropriate amount of time. Let the coffee "steep" - i.e. leave it alone - for 3 to 5 minutes. This time window is long enough to extract all the positive flavors from the coffee without any bitter / negative flavors extracted.

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/99/05/frenchpress/images/brew100x211.jpg http://www.ineedcoffee.com/99/05/frenchpress/images/press109x211.jpg

The coffee grounds will swell during the steeping time. After the appropriate amount of steeping, gently press the French Press plunger down. The mesh filter will push the coffee grounds to the bottom and separate the liquid from the coffee grounds. Pour the coffee into your favorite mug and enjoy!

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/99/05/frenchpress/images/serve232x211.JPG

This is how I make my daily ration of nectar.

I commented to the wife this morning that every once in a while I get the coffee just right - the perfect temperature with the perfect amount of sugar. Today was one of those mornings. Very very nice.

Leo

Verbiage from http://www.ineedcoffee.com/99/05/frenchpress/

Jim Becker
09-03-2005, 4:26 PM
French Press is great for "coffee", one of the best ways to make it. But I only drink latté and cappuchino...'don't like "regular" coffee for the most part, or even plain espresso. Most of my coworkers in the Miami area are Cuban Coffee addicts...you get the brew plus a ton of hot sugar in the same sip! (I can't drink the stuff...)
------

Oh, Jim D and Frank, a regular "serving" of espresso doesn't really have any more caffene than a regular cup of joe in most cases. 1-1.5oz is considered a serving... ;)

Steve Clardy
09-03-2005, 5:04 PM
Well I guess I live in a shoe box also. Folgers here. I do an ocasional Star Bucks when I can find it.