PDA

View Full Version : Help Selecting Paint for Crib

Mike Goetzke
11-23-2015, 9:45 AM
I'm making this beautiful :D wood crib for my daughter...and she wants it painted :eek:. Oh well - she's the boss on this one. Anyway I have a couple questions:

1) I have a decent HVLP turbine system. She wants a white finish. What would you recommend I spray? I spray in my garage so would like to stick with a waterborne/non-flammable/non-smelly finish. (In the past I have used Target finishes but not super impressed with their finishes nor customer service.)

2) The crib has raised panels. On my stained doors I will stain the door panel tongues before assembly. For painted doors do I need to apply paint to this area before assembly? If so with paint doesn't this make the fit too tight?

Thanks,

Mike

Jamie Buxton
11-23-2015, 10:18 AM
General Finishes Enduro White Poly. Sprays well, and is as non-smelly as all the other waterborne finishes.

Notice I didn't claim it is completely non-smelly. It, and every other waterborne I've tried, has some residual odor. Try to finish the project several weeks -- maybe even a month -- before it needs to go into service, so it can out-gas in the garage.

Brian Holcombe
11-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Congrats Mike!

....I would go against the boss on this one. Paint is not impervious to small finger nails.