PDA

View Full Version : "Vintage" Jet 14" Band Saw Upper Wheel Tension Spring Replacement--Question

Andy Morton
11-23-2015, 8:43 AM

Hi,
I am replacing the tension spring in the upper guide wheel assembly in my Jet "vintage" 14 inch band saw. I bought this used recently and am upgrading items--have not really used it.

The nut (see above) is wedged very tight in the slot that holds the spring. I cannot see that there is a washer in place. I would have to likely drill out the nut to replace the spring. I can't really see how the spring can even move in this as it cannot really flex the way this is situated....but I don't know???

Is this correct???

I have seen other posts where they state that they changed this out in 15 minutes...so I am wondering if something is amiss here.

I am definitely changing out the hinge that the wheel attaches to -- it is deformed with many stress cracks in the metal.

Suggestions??

Thanks for any help!!!

Andy Morton
Madison, WI

lowell holmes
11-23-2015, 9:25 AM
I have a Jet 14" band saw. I suggest you might replace the entire assembly. They are not expensive. You can google the band saw for a parts diagram.

I have an after market spring in mine. I never have regretted the change.

Mike Cutler
11-23-2015, 9:36 AM
Someone replaced the square nut with the wrong sized nut. It is now wedged in there. That nut is supposed to travel up the tension rod inside the housing to compress the spring. I don't believe a washer is stock OEM. Someone didn't do you any favors there, because that looks like a standard carriage bolt nut. The OEM nut is bigger in size to prevent that. That tension assembly hasn't changed much over the years. If you can find an exploded view of it online anywhere, it will become very obvious what needs to change.
If the yoke assembly is cracked it is more than likely due to over tensioning the bandsaw. Look at the point in the body of the saw where the tension rod would have made contact in the "U". it may be worn through. if so just make an adapter plate.
The OEM spring was good for ~ 9000psi, a Carter Cobra coil is good for ~ 13,000 psi. The Carter is more than enough spring for a 1/2" blade. A 3/4" blade on that saw is pushing it to it's limit.The tension rod can be replaced with 5/16" all thread rod, 3/8" is to big, at least for mine it was.
Minus that nut, it is a 15 minute fix to change out the spring.

Andy Morton
11-23-2015, 9:39 AM
Yes--thanks!!!--I am considering that--I have already purchased the replacement spring (Carter) and a new "crank adjusting rod." I have also located the hinge on the Grizzly website that will fit ($15)--versus the $85 or so for the whole assembly.

But---this really baffled me..very curious as to how it is supposed to fit.

Andy

Andy Morton
11-23-2015, 9:43 AM
Hey thanks a million-----this problem has really baffled me!!!

Just like I suspected it was a poor "cobble job"....I have located all of the parts and will order them today!!

Thanks Sawmill Creekers!!

Andy

Mike Cutler
11-23-2015, 9:46 AM
Yes--thanks!!!--I am considering that--I have already purchased the replacement spring (Carter) and a new "crank adjusting rod." I have also located the hinge on the Grizzly website that will fit ($15)--versus the $85 or so for the whole assembly.

But---this really baffled me..very curious as to how it is supposed to fit.

Andy

What color is the saw?
The square nut is sized to just fit inside that "slide" housing. As the tension rod is turned the nut runs up the threads and put pressure on the bottom of the spring, which is enclosed in that housing.

Marion Smith
11-23-2015, 11:27 AM
An "Easy-Out" will get that nut out.

Andy Morton
11-23-2015, 4:38 PM
Thanks again---any suggestions about how to remove the axel for the upper wheel from the hinge.. I can't take a wrench to the smooth machined bearing surface as it will gouge it.....what do you suggest?

I may end up buying the whole assembly....but the hinge is the part that really needs replacing.

Ideas??

Thanks!

Andy

Andy Morton
11-23-2015, 11:50 PM
Hey thanks everyone--the saw is greenish blue ( I am red-green color blind--that is my best guess at color).

Here is a picture of the "upper wheel guide axle" that screws into the hinge--which is cracked all over with many small stress cracks. I can't believe it has held up this long.

How do you get the axle out of the hinge so that I can replace the hinge? I don't want to scratch the axle surface by gripping it with pliers. Here is a picture -- the air points to the axle.

Any suggestions??325778

Thanks for the help!!

Andy Morton
Madison, WI

lowell holmes
11-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Hey thanks everyone--the saw is greenish blue ( I am red-green color blind--that is my best guess at color).

Here is a picture of the "upper wheel guide axle" that screws into the hinge--which is cracked all over with many small stress cracks. I can't believe it has held up this long.

How do you get the axle out of the hinge so that I can replace the hinge? I don't want to scratch the axle surface by gripping it with pliers. Here is a picture -- the air points to the axle.

Any suggestions??325778

Thanks for the help!!

Andy Morton
Madison, WI

Andy, I have a broken one like yours on my bench. I purchased a replacement unit from Jet, installed it, and never looked back. If you want to cut wood, I would replace the whole part.. If you want to mess around with old tools and distressed parts, you may be able to fix it.

Andy Morton
11-24-2015, 4:28 PM
Good advice........just wondered if there was "trick" to dealing with this!1

Andy