PDA

View Full Version : Drywall Sander

Ed Breen
09-01-2005, 10:15 AM
I hope this is the right forum for my question. In the Leichtung catalog they show a drywall sander for sanding mud.
Our home has that popcorn junk that people who are too lazy or not expert enough use to cover a poor mud job on the ceiling.
Has anyone ever tried to use this kind of sander to strip off the popcorn? I can forsee that doing it with a scraper would make a real mess, but LOML wants it done!
Evidently it strips and deposits into a bucket of water using my shop vac.
Thanks for any assistance!
Ed:confused:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Ed, never used what you are speaking of. However, I will warn you that when someone knows the walls will be "spattered" (Textured) they don't do as good a job on the mudding. At least sometimes :) Take a good close look at the joints and see if they will really show up after you sand off the Texture.

Good luck!

Charles McKinley
09-01-2005, 3:45 PM
Hi Ed,

I have the Sand Kleen system and it works well on mud but I don't know if the little styrofoam balls would make it through the screen. In a small area try spraying it with a water bottle and see if it will scrape off. This may be faster and cleaner than trying to sand it off. I hate the stuff also. Please let us know what you finds works best.

Don Baer
09-01-2005, 3:49 PM
My neighbor just took his off. He just used a spray bottle of H20 and a scraper. He said it wasn't very hard at all. If I were staying in this house I would probubly do the same.

Tyler Howell
09-01-2005, 4:35 PM
My neighbor just took his off. He just used a spray bottle of H20 and a scraper. He said it wasn't very hard at all. If I were staying in this house I would probubly do the same.
What Don said. Done it to several rooms.
Remember they covered it up for a reason;)

Andy Hoyt
09-01-2005, 4:39 PM
I bought one of them. Used it for five minutes and returned it. Worthless.

I've been presented with the exact same dilemma you have. Scraping makes a huge mess and wrecks the GWB. So do what I did - Buy extra mud, because it's inexpensive, and just bury the popcorn. I figure I saved massive amounts of time.

Jim O'Dell
09-01-2005, 4:39 PM
Definately use a spritz bottle, and about a 5" drywall mudding knife. It comes off very easliy. Make sure to put plastic down, and tape to the baseboards with the blue or green painters tape. It's a messy job. At least wear a dust mask, if not a respirator. The water helps keep the dust down, not really needed to remove the ceiling popcorn. Jim.

Per Swenson
09-01-2005, 4:46 PM
You do not want to hear what I am about to say....

But say it I will. When I come across these

problems on a professional basis, it is cost effective

to remove the offending sheet rock completely.

As has been noted allready "popcorn"

is used to cover a myriad of problems.

I reason why guess and spend the time to uncover another disaster.

Per

Jim Becker
09-01-2005, 8:16 PM
What Per said. My good friend Neil just went through this last week. In that case the popcorn material was mud/plaster, not something soft and easily scraped off. It was fare more cost effective and expedient to remove the rock completely...and put up new.

Jerry Clark
09-01-2005, 8:50 PM
My daughter just had her condo done-- painters sprayed with water and used a scraper-- cost an extra $100. Much easier than re-doing the sheet rock. I suggest remove it and see what it looks like. :cool:

Jim Becker
09-01-2005, 8:56 PM
My daughter just had her condo done-- painters sprayed with water and used a scraper-- cost an extra $100. Much easier than re-doing the sheet rock. I suggest remove it and see what it looks like. :cool:

This only works for certain materials...but it is worth investigating, I agree.

Mike Parzych
09-01-2005, 9:36 PM
I've got one of those water filter set-ups and mine is a pain. On small drywall jobs I've used a detail sander. Unlike a RO sander, it tends to "drop" the dust directly down rather than throwing it into the air. Anyway you go, drywalling just sucks.