PDA

View Full Version : Need help -- bit stuck in impact chuck

Bob Hoffmann
11-22-2015, 4:16 PM
I was using my drill with an adaptor chuck (made for impact drills) with my pocket hole drill.To my surprise the hex shaft broke just below the chuck. So without being able to put the chuck back into the drill, how do I get the bit out of the chuck?I put what was left of the shaft in vise, and tried to turn the chuck with a wrench, but that did not help ... got any other suggestions?

George Bokros
11-22-2015, 5:03 PM
If you can get the stub of the shaft tight in a drill I would try vice grips on the chuck to try to loosen it. If that doesn't work I don't know what I would try next.

Ole Anderson
11-22-2015, 6:12 PM
I am still trying to picture why you would use an impact adapter in a drill to use a drill bit.

Justin Ludwig
11-22-2015, 6:16 PM
Buy a new bit and chuck.

Post a pic. I can do more than provide asinine posts if I can see what's going on. ;)

Ben Grunow
11-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Give the broken piece a shot iwth a hammer/nail set. Most of the time when a tip is stuck in my impact drill it just needs a little tap to free it up. Like the chuck is slightly worn and the tips rotate a bit and lock in so you just have to turn them backwards a tiny bit to free them up.

Could also be a magnet holding it in as well?

Bob Hoffmann
12-12-2015, 8:41 AM
I gave p trying to get it out, and purchased a new one. I already had a replace the chuck because it had stuck before and I could not get the bit out, but with the chuck shaft breaking .. I was out of luck getting the bit out.

Decided to stay away from Makita's impact chuck ...

Keith Outten
12-12-2015, 9:37 AM
Try putting a little heat on the chuck jaws with a propane torch. If you can get the jaws to expand just a couple thousandths the drill bit may come loose.

Justin Ludwig
12-12-2015, 3:59 PM
2 pair of vice grips looks like it should grip well enough to break it loose.

joseph f merz
12-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Give the broken piece a shot iwth a hammer/nail set. Most of the time when a tip is stuck in my impact drill it just needs a little tap to free it up. Like the chuck is slightly worn and the tips rotate a bit and lock in so you just have to turn them backwards a tiny bit to free them up.

Could also be a magnet holding it in as well?
100% agreement . smack the end and loosen it up .will come out then .hope you haven't tried heat - would ruin chuck forever . this problem you have is not uncommon.

Pat Barry
12-13-2015, 3:02 PM
I think all you need to do is hold the dril bit and then loosen the chuck as you normally would. When the drill bit slips you should be able to pull it out