PDA

View Full Version : Lathe DC - new Rockler Dust Right?

Jay Yoder
11-22-2015, 1:16 PM
Greetings all, It has been long time since I posted due to work and life complications...anyhow, I just saw this in the latest Rockler catalog. Has anyone used/bought this... http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-lathe-dust-collection-system... Seems to be good concept and price is not too bad. I could design something similar, but with time being a premium, easier to buy than spend time making something...any thoughts?

Roger Chandler
11-22-2015, 1:41 PM
I use some Rockler Dust Rite items and like them very much......this is a new item, and looks to have some real promise, but I would like to see some reviews on it.

Jay Yoder
11-22-2015, 2:07 PM
I agree...I too was waiting for others to share their experiences, if I could find anyone (since it is new item)...

Rob Price
11-22-2015, 2:22 PM
I have their old articulated arm setup- this looks to be much better. I tend to be pretty happy with Rockler stuff, but haven't used it.

Thom Sturgill
11-22-2015, 6:13 PM
I would be happier if it were 4" instead of 2 1/12" outlet. I use a 'big gulp' with a 4" outlet to a dust collector for sanding, but i do like the looks of the articulation.

Rob Price
11-22-2015, 9:22 PM
Oh- I just assumed it was 4". I'd want it in a 4" version.

Marvin Hasenak
11-22-2015, 10:43 PM
I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Breett-Universal-Bracket-Flexible-Bathroom/dp/B00UTD4XV0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448249750&sr=8-3&keywords=flexible+cell+phone+holder

My dust collector is a 3 liter soda pop bottle that I have attached my hose to one end and cut out the side of the bottle. Cost me about 15 minutes in time and empty pop bottle, about a foot of duct tape and $6 for the clamp with the flexible arm.

David Walser
11-22-2015, 11:21 PM
I almost bought this when I placed a Rockler order earlier this month. I didn't because I think a 4" outlet is what is needed to move enough air. I've used a number of systems over the years. Soon, I'll glue some rare earth magnets to a spare 8"x8" dust collection hood I have in the corner of my shop. The magnets will make it easy to reposition the hood along the bed of my lathe when sanding.

Dave Cullen
11-23-2015, 9:14 AM
I just ordered one, so I'll give a review when it gets here. With a 4" DC you just add a reducing coupler to the hose. The 2-1/2" would be more flexible anyway.
Thanks for the link.

Justin Stephen
11-23-2015, 11:20 AM
I've been using the WoodRiver dust hood with stand (link below) for a couple of years now and have been pretty pleased. Connected to the 4" hose it sucks in a lot of dust and the floorstand, which is basically a modified stand like you might find on a heavy duty music stand or lectern, allows me to move it wherever I want to move it.

http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Dust-Hood-With-Stand/dp/B0035Y97DO/

Jay Yoder
11-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Another thought would be to take 1 4" S&D Tee fitting and kind of make my own, but then have to figure out how to best mount it. Ahhh, choices choices...

Marvin Hasenak
11-23-2015, 1:52 PM
Another thought would be to take 1 4" S&D Tee fitting and kind of make my own, but then have to figure out how to best mount it. Ahhh, choices choices...

Duct tape it to the cell phone holder I posted above. You can shift it around anyway you want. $8 on amazon.com.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Z9gBtQigL._SL1200_.jpg

Jay Yoder
11-23-2015, 4:27 PM
Marvin, could you take snapshot of your setup with the arm you posted?

Marvin Hasenak
11-23-2015, 5:28 PM
Marvin, could you take snapshot of your setup with the arm you posted?

I won't be able to until next month when we go to Ruidoso, NM for Christmas. It is a cell phone flexible arm, on my set up I use a 3 liter coke bottle cut and duct taped to the arm, ugly but it works, and the cost was only about $8 plus and empty bottle and some duct tape. At home I use the PSI rig. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DLGULP.html?gclid=CIfBspvLp8kCFQyFaQodOPMBVg

Michael Mills
11-23-2015, 7:00 PM
Or you can make your own (this about 5 years ago now).
Banjo is easy to make or use the lathe banjo also.
Floor register box about the same size pickup for about $5. Comes with 4" connection.
Head also rotates 360* so it can follow the shape of a bowl (or sorta).
Use Velcro and plastic file folder sections to extend under as much as your want to (or to choke off one side).

Glenn Barber
11-23-2015, 7:53 PM
Here is the set-up I use for sanding only. The first pic shows how it is attached to the board. There is a slot cut into the board so that the Hood can be adjusted "in and out" to accomodate different widths/types of turnings.

In the second pic, you can see how the board is designed so that it drops in between the ways. It can then be easily moved by sliding it along the ways.

Glenn

Jay Yoder
11-23-2015, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the great ideas all! Time for more studying and waiting I guess. There was one review that popped up and seemed very positive...