PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifying rod in tool cabinet

mark kosse
11-21-2015, 3:10 PM
Has anyone installed one in a tool cabinet and did it work? I'm talking about the type used in gun safes. I'm going to build a new cabinet. I guess if I use floating panels I'll be ok to install one.

i spend too much time going over everything to keep it safe. Not that doing that isn't fun but If a dehumidifier will work it would help.

Mel Fulks
11-21-2015, 3:17 PM
We have had some good comments about them from some really knowledgable members. The anti rust "emitters " work well,too.

Jim Koepke
11-21-2015, 5:14 PM
I haven't done it of yet. My plan is to install it at the base and have a path for the warm air to rise through the cabinet.

jtk

Clay Parrish
11-21-2015, 8:51 PM
I have tried something along those lines.

Background: My shop is an unheated 2 car garage in N. Mississippi, so in winter, I get temps in the 30s and sometimes condensation when the temp is fluxuating. I have a harbor freight 44" toolbox holding some handtools that I was experiencing some minor rusting issues with due to the condensation.

I ordered a 18" goldenrod from Lee Valley. I was going to get the 24", but it wouldn't fit in my lower drawer in my 44" HF box. They're pretty small. "Each low-profile cylindrical heater has a 3/4" diameter brass-plated steel housing, a 70" power cord, and a pair of clip-on legs with small slots for screw-mount installation. For best results, use the largest size that fits the space, mounting it near the bottom to ensure optimal air circulation. The 12" (12W) model is effective on spaces up to 100 cu.ft., the 18" (18W) model is suitable for spaces up to 200 cu.ft., and the 24" (25W) model protects up to 300 cu.ft. Each operates with a maximum surface temperature of 150°F/65°C. UL/CUL certified."

Yeah, well, it didn't work for my purposes. At all. It couldn't come anywhere near to keeping up with the 30-40 degree temps in the garage, and it couldn't even keep a single drawer warm, much less heat the whole box (as I had hoped). It would be great if used in inside temps (e.g., an indoor gun safe), but for a toolbox in an unheated garage, it was a miserable flop. I returned it. I later emailed the goldenrod people about it, and they said it was really intended only for room temperature operation.

Now, that said, if the box was wooden or insulated, I suspect the goldenrod might have performed a bit better, but I wouldn't expect miracles. Probably, you would get better results with an incandescent bulb in an insulated box.

TLDR:
I tried using a goldenrod heater to warm a metal toolbox in a cold garage, but it didn't work.

paul cottingham
11-21-2015, 11:12 PM
I have a Goldenrod in my main plane case. Works great.

Frederick Skelly
11-22-2015, 6:48 AM
I have tried something along those lines.

Background: My shop is an unheated 2 car garage in N. Mississippi, so in winter, I get temps in the 30s and sometimes condensation when the temp is fluxuating. I have a harbor freight 44" toolbox holding some handtools that I was experiencing some minor rusting issues with due to the condensation.

I ordered a 18" goldenrod from Lee Valley. I was going to get the 24", but it wouldn't fit in my lower drawer in my 44" HF box. They're pretty small. "Each low-profile cylindrical heater has a 3/4" diameter brass-plated steel housing, a 70" power cord, and a pair of clip-on legs with small slots for screw-mount installation. For best results, use the largest size that fits the space, mounting it near the bottom to ensure optimal air circulation. The 12" (12W) model is effective on spaces up to 100 cu.ft., the 18" (18W) model is suitable for spaces up to 200 cu.ft., and the 24" (25W) model protects up to 300 cu.ft. Each operates with a maximum surface temperature of 150°F/65°C. UL/CUL certified."

Yeah, well, it didn't work for my purposes. At all. It couldn't come anywhere near to keeping up with the 30-40 degree temps in the garage, and it couldn't even keep a single drawer warm, much less heat the whole box (as I had hoped). It would be great if used in inside temps (e.g., an indoor gun safe), but for a toolbox in an unheated garage, it was a miserable flop. I returned it. I later emailed the goldenrod people about it, and they said it was really intended only for room temperature operation.

Now, that said, if the box was wooden or insulated, I suspect the goldenrod might have performed a bit better, but I wouldn't expect miracles. Probably, you would get better results with an incandescent bulb in an insulated box.

TLDR:
I tried using a goldenrod heater to warm a metal toolbox in a cold garage, but it didn't work.

Clay, if you are unhappy with the product, remember that LV will give you your money back. That doesnt solve your problem, but it does save you a few bucks.

Michael Fross
11-22-2015, 9:54 AM
Hello Creekers,

My shop is in my basement in Chicago and we had hot fairly humid summers and really cold winters. I have two golden rods for many years, one in each tool cabinet. I've never had rust issues when I have the tools in the cabinet, with the exception of my LN dovetail saw. I no longer keep it in the leather tool case.

As long as you have electrical nearby, I think they are great products.

Michael

Clay Parrish
11-22-2015, 10:17 AM
This was last winter and LV was very nice about accepting my return.

mark kosse
11-22-2015, 1:48 PM
A lot of times rust in leather is a tanning process problem. I keep a piece of grocery sack plastic between leather and steel for things I don't use often.

Jim Belair
11-22-2015, 4:32 PM
I don't think they are designed to keep the enclosure "warm", just a few degrees above the temp outside the box, and the dew point.

I use a tiny 15 w light bulb that is designed for exit signs so extremely long life.