PDA

View Full Version : UPS battery backup question...

Chuck Wintle
11-21-2015, 9:09 AM
the backup battery for my computer seems not to work. if i unplug the unit from the wall socket when its running the battery should kick in and keep the battery running? I suspect the battery is no good.

Ole Anderson
11-21-2015, 9:13 AM
Laptop? How old is the battery? What does your battery icon in the tray indicate?

John McClanahan
11-21-2015, 9:27 AM
Yes, it should keep the computer running when you unplug it.

Greg R Bradley
11-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Can you clarify "Computer battery backup"?

Do you have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) plugged into the wall outlet and then your computer plugged into the UPS? If so, then yes the computer should continue to run when the UPS is unplugged from the wall outlet. That duplicates a power failure.

Most UPS have some lights on them that indicate problems. They use sealed lead-acid batteries, which last about 5 years.

Chuck Wintle
11-21-2015, 10:02 AM
the battery backup is for a desktop computer. Its an APC ups 550. I just removed the battery and installed a new one (received last year but never used). Will see if this works or not.

Chuck Wintle
11-21-2015, 10:03 AM

Do you have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) plugged into the wall outlet and then your computer plugged into the UPS? If so, then yes the computer should continue to run when the UPS is unplugged from the wall outlet. That duplicates a power failure.

Most UPS have some lights on them that indicate problems. They use sealed lead-acid batteries, which last about 5 years.
its an APC model UPS 550 for a desktop computer. I just changed the battery in the last 5 minutes with a new on..see above post.

Rich Engelhardt
11-21-2015, 10:31 AM
5 min isn't enough time - give it 24 hours to come up to a full charge.

Matt Meiser
11-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Odds are that will fix it, but if not its time for replacement.

I bought something like 5 small non-working UPS's for $45 shipped a few years back. All but one were fixed with a new battery which ended up being a really good deal. 1 would have been a fair deal over buying new.

Dave Richards
11-21-2015, 11:27 AM
How old is the UPS? If two years old or more, it probably is time to replace the batteries. Assuming the thing has been plugged in all along, charging it for 24 hours isn't likely to solve the problem.

In a few places where we don't have UPS wall receptacles we use stand alone UPS units for some patient monitoring equipment. We've found that although the units are plugged in all the time, the batteries are only good for about two years.

Myk Rian
11-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Laptop? How old is the battery? What does your battery icon in the tray indicate?

5 min isn't enough time - give it 24 hours to come up to a full charge.

How old is the UPS? If two years old or more, it probably is time to replace the batteries. Assuming the thing has been plugged in all along, charging it for 24 hours isn't likely to solve the problem.

In a few places where we don't have UPS wall receptacles we use stand alone UPS units for some patient monitoring equipment. We've found that although the units are plugged in all the time, the batteries are only good for about two years.
Do you guys actually read the messages, or just gloss over them?
It's a UPS that he JUST put a new battery in. I think he knows 5 minutes isn't enough time for it to charge.

Dave Richards
11-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Do you guys actually read the messages, or just gloss over them?
It's a UPS that he JUST put a new battery in. I think he knows 5 minutes isn't enough time for it to charge.

It's hard to read through it all. There's so much blather.:rolleyes::D

Chuck Wintle
11-21-2015, 1:37 PM

I will order a new UPS since this unit seems to have gone south. Its an APC however the quality seems to not be there as it is only a couple of years old.

Myk Rian
11-21-2015, 1:48 PM
I did a bit of research when I bought mine several years ago. Wound up with a NEXXTECK 1000 VA unit. I like the LCD display that shows you incoming, as well as BU voltage. USB to your computer for monitor software.

Allan Speers
11-21-2015, 2:08 PM

I use quite a few UPS's, most running full-time, and I always get around 4-5 years, so that's odd. Maybe it depends on if you're constantly draining them, which I do not. (Nor would the OP>)

---------

Chuck, one thing: The APC 500 is only good for 300 watts. That's EXTREMELY marginal for a desktop system with a decent-sized monitor. Have you tested the total amps draw of your rig, when it's running hard?

On my main Mac desktop, with a 24" LCD and maybe 6 hard rives (the old spinning type, not SSD) if I'm editing in Photoshop or rendering video, it can easily hit 500 watts. You may simply have burned out your UPS. - Maybe damaged the main storage capacitor, etc.

Ole Anderson
11-21-2015, 4:06 PM
Chuck, did you edit the Title to include UPS? Can't believe I would have missed that. I agree with Myk that it is frustrating to have simple questions asked that were clearly answered in the original post, especially if it is short. Just replaced a battery in my laptop, so I was focused that direction. And I have changed plenty of UPS batteries, both at work and church.

Greg R Bradley
11-21-2015, 4:21 PM
OP added "UPS" in the title after I asked for clarification. Don't know if that is why Myk wrongly accused me of not reading the post. Either that or he didn't read it carefully.

Myk Rian
11-21-2015, 4:44 PM
Title was changed after I posted.
If I offended anyone, I apologize.

Chuck Wintle
11-21-2015, 8:00 PM
Chuck, did you edit the Title to include UPS? Can't believe I would have missed that. I agree with Myk that it is frustrating to have simple questions asked that were clearly answered in the original post, especially if it is short. Just replaced a battery in my laptop, so I was focused that direction. And I have changed plenty of UPS batteries, both at work and church.

Sorry to everyone for not being very clear in the original post. I edited the original post title to include UPS for clarification.

Matt Meiser
11-21-2015, 8:56 PM
Costco often has a good deal on a larger unit.