PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Slide Question

Bud Ackerman
11-20-2015, 8:35 PM
Hey all,

So about a year ago I built in a set of cabinets around a fireplace. The nook wasn't close to square so I asked the LOML if she ever wanted drawers in there and she swore she wouldn't. I built it in place and cheated a bit knowing I would never have to square up drawer slides.

Well guess what, she found a loop hole and claimed " I said I would never want a drawer, I never said anything about a pull out shelf". (Well played in my opinion).

SO here is the question, can I use an under mount single slide, make the shelf narrow enough to clear the FF, or do I need to bite the bullet, shim the sides and turn a couple hour job into an all day one?

Any advice is welcome

Robert Engel
11-20-2015, 9:07 PM
Depends on how much weight will be on the shelf.
I'm guessing in this application nothing really heavy, but you need to find out what the capacity of an undermount slide is.

Might want to check these (http://www.wwhardware.com/tenntex-self-aligning-tandem-rear-bracket-screw-on-40-44mm-socket-range-tnc-undermount) out. Specially designed for out of square cabs.

Bud Ackerman
11-20-2015, 9:22 PM
Shouldn't be more than 30 lbs

Martin Wasner
11-21-2015, 2:38 AM
Will the shelf tilt when the slides are extended if they are on pins? Or did I misinterpret something?

If it's going on the bottom deck you could always use a slide that mounted to the deck and not the sides. For Blum I think the number is 569R. We use them on trash roll outs so we can use longer screws and anchor them to the deck. I'm not certain, but I don't remember seeing holes in the bottom of 563's. Might be able to just drill holes though?

Marty Schlosser
11-21-2015, 6:44 AM
The takeaway lesson from this is to always take the time to "bone" your casework... 'Nuff said!