PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Double line problem.

Scott Alberts
11-20-2015, 3:28 PM
My speedy 300 has been doing this for a while now. It's not that easy to see, but it's driving me nuts. Any ideas how to fix this?

Neville Stewart
11-20-2015, 3:40 PM
Seems like you only have it on one axis? I would have said nose cone might be out of alignment, I had the effect, but in all directions. hmmmmm.

Scott Alberts
11-20-2015, 3:47 PM
Yes, only the vertical lines are off. I thought it may be the lens, but now that I engraved the grid, i'm thinking it's something else.

Neville Stewart
11-20-2015, 3:59 PM
Might it be a loose belt/pulley on that axis? that's a serious longshot but.

Scott Shepherd
11-20-2015, 4:28 PM
Spot on a mirror somewhere, splitting the beam. Check the #1 and #2 mirrors.

Scott Alberts
11-20-2015, 4:29 PM
Thanks guys. I've checked all that and is still doing it. Next step I think I should try is upgrading the firmware. Does anyone know where to download the file?

Scott Shepherd
11-20-2015, 4:43 PM
Tech support should do that for you. There's an FTP site you get it from and you don't want to install the wrong one for the software version you have installed. I'm not sure how it can be firmware if it's splitting the beam into two paths. Maybe I'm not understand how it's creating two lines. Is is creating 2 lines in one pass, or 2 lines in different places on different runs?

If it's 2 lines from 1 pass, then it's the beam splitting somewhere, either dirt or a hairline crack in the lens.

Scott Alberts
11-20-2015, 5:46 PM
It's just one pass.

Scott Marquez
11-20-2015, 6:38 PM
By looking at your picture, it looks like it goes from a solid single to a gradual weaker double line on the perimeter as it goes around the corner.
i don't know how it can be software related unless the machine is doing a raster move in that direction, which would be noticeable.
Hairline crack in a mirror?
Scott

Keith Winter
11-20-2015, 7:15 PM
Spot on a mirror somewhere, splitting the beam. Check the #1 and #2 mirrors.

+1 Steve is correct this is the most likely cause of the problem. Do you have another lens you can try?

Scott Alberts
11-20-2015, 7:20 PM
All mirrors look clean. The lens is not cracked, but has a very small scratch.

Scott Shepherd
11-20-2015, 7:37 PM
All mirrors look clean. The lens is not cracked, but has a very small scratch.

Then that's probably it. There's no other way to get 2 lines from one pass other than the beam splitting. A crack or scratch will do it.

Scott Alberts
11-20-2015, 8:21 PM
I have a new lens on the way. Hope it helps.

Kev Williams
11-21-2015, 12:18 AM
I know zilch about Trotec's, but can you rotate the lens 90° from it's current position? The beam might miss the scratch altogether, but if not, it should change the how the beam splits on a similar test. This would verify the lens IS the problem. But if rotating the lens doesn't change the problem, then you have a mirror issue, or maybe part of the beam's hitting the edge of the cullimator or beam expander (assuming it has one or the other)...

Kim Vellore
11-21-2015, 12:44 AM
Is this all in one pass?, if it is a problem in the optical path it should show up in both axis, although the other axis that looks like a single line looks like a thick line maybe the two lines are very close to each other.

Keith Colson
11-21-2015, 2:54 AM
Another thing it could be, is a reflection of the nose cone or some other part of the machine. Make sure the beam is centered where it hits all the mirrors and is going through the center of the nose cone and lens etc.

Scott Alberts
11-22-2015, 1:02 PM
Should be receiving a new lens very soon. I'll keep you guy posted. Thanks for all the help.

Glen Monaghan
11-22-2015, 10:01 PM
If you can rotate the one you have in its holder by 90 or 180 degrees, you should see a difference in the behavior if that scratch is the problem because it would be changing the way it's refracting the beam by moving the scratch's location.

Neville Stewart
11-28-2015, 8:10 AM
Did you resolve the issue Scott?

Scott Alberts
11-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Got a new lens, and still having the same problem. I think it has something to do with the x axis.

Jerome Stanek
11-30-2015, 12:30 PM
can you engrave a diagonal line and see what happens

Neville Stewart
11-30-2015, 12:47 PM
If still under warranty I guess this isn't a good idea, but if not, can you swap the driver/servo connections and see if it follows you?

Gary Hair
11-30-2015, 1:14 PM
Got a new lens, and still having the same problem. I think it has something to do with the x axis.

Just curious why you haven't mentioned Trotec tech support and their diagnosis. Brett has been very responsive to my questions and everyone there has had an answer when I have called.

Scott Alberts
12-16-2015, 2:47 PM
Turned out to be a slightly loose x-axis belt.