PDA

View Full Version : Hartville sale & blade cleaning idea

Randy Rose
11-20-2015, 12:43 PM
On the way to Hartville this AM, my friend and I were discussing T/S blade cleaning, we both agreed that Zep citrus cleaner would be a good experimental solvent. But what to use as a tray ? Genius buddy says " How big is a Frisbee?"
Turns out it is EXACTLY the right size for 10" blades ! Holds 3 easily while using a minimum amount of your favored cleaner. ( soaking as I type)

Mini shopping gloat : 5 sheets of B.Birch / A fresh Freud Ind. cut off blade / 4 Bessey clamp extenders and some other small stuff.

Randy Rose
11-20-2015, 3:54 PM
Happy to report that after soaking and a quick brush around the perimeter that the carbides are as clean and shiny as the new blade purchased today. Obviously not as sharp but I don`t believe anyone has invented liquid sharpening juice.
However, the Zep that went in as a translucent orange is now a muddy brown.
Now, how to hold and soak my 12" miter saw blades.

John Donhowe
11-20-2015, 5:08 PM
If you don't have a Frisbee, make a shallow pan from the bottom couple of inches of a 5 gallon plastic paint pail.

Matt Day
11-20-2015, 5:12 PM
I've been using a frisbee a for years - works great. Cleans it up for my weekly Ultimate Frisbee game too!

Enrico Caruso
11-20-2015, 7:57 PM
A glass pie pan would be my choice, like I use to de-rust clock gongs with a naval jelly like compound.

guy knight
11-20-2015, 9:52 PM
i just use oven cleaner spray it on wait 1-2 minutes light brushing and rinse

Andrew Kertesz
11-21-2015, 8:05 AM
I thought I read some where that you should not use oven cleaner to clean carbide tipped saw blades....

Brian Tymchak
11-21-2015, 9:29 AM
Rockler sells a blade cleaning kit that has a plastic pan with lid that allows you to store the blade cleaner between uses. It's pretty handy for me.

Andrew Kertesz
11-21-2015, 9:34 AM
I bought a pie carrier from WM that has a seal-able lid and a handle for a couple of bucks. Works great and you can leave the liquid and it helps stop evaporation.

Edward Oleen
11-21-2015, 5:43 PM
WM Model number? I looked, and found one, but it is "new" and "out of stock"

Andrew Kertesz
11-21-2015, 6:03 PM
I just looked in the store. It is kind of an opaque white with blue handles in the housewares department.

Doug Garson
11-21-2015, 8:52 PM
Look at your local auto supply store and pick up a pan designed for draining oil into when you do an oil change. Some come with a spout to pour the oil out into a disposal container. I use Simple Green to clean my blades and pour the used cleaner into a plastic peanut butter jar and reuse it. I store the pan and peanut butter jar in a giant zip lock bag between uses.

Ken Platt
11-21-2015, 9:40 PM
As long as we are listing cleaning tray ideas - I use a circular tray intended to be put under a plant pot to catch the excess water. They are cheap, durable, a good height (couple of inches), and, best of all, have a raised ridge which is intended to hold the plant pot up off the very bottom of the tray, but in this case holds up the blade a bit so it's easy to clean the teeth with a toothbrush, as they are about 1/8 inch up from the bottom of the tray.

I wouldn't mind having a spout of some sort to pour the Simple Green back into the jar I keep it in, though, so I'll have to check out the oil pans.

Ken

Dan Rude
11-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Haven't tried it yet, but one of the woodworking magazines recently said the cleaner from the dollar store worked really good. I have several old Frisbee's that could be used for this so I going to try it. Just have to finish wiring up the saw. One man remodel crew, kids & family and work make for slow work, as well as time to do it. Dan