PDA

View Full Version : Gloat? And a request; Grizzly 8622 sliding /tilting shaper.

Jared Sankovich
11-19-2015, 4:16 PM
I picked this up earlier this week. It's a 2003 g8622 shaper with a 1/2 hp power feeder. The problem is it only came with a 1" spindle and was missing the 3/4 and 1&1/4 spindles it left the factory with.

Checking the grizzly site only the bare 1&1/4 spindle is available for $160. I can machine a new spindle relatively easily, however im not sure if the length of the 1" is identical to the 1.25

Does anyone have a 5hp grizzly shaper spindle laying around that they could measure?

Or alternatively I can machine any style of spindle (I kiND of like the cap screw retention on the pm 2700 vs the double nuts on the grizzly. Can anyone with a shaper comment on the spindle retention type they prefer (if you have used more than one)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/jar944/rps20151118_205428_934_zpsaw5eoqcy.jpg

Jeff Duncan
11-19-2015, 7:28 PM
Not for nothing but $160 is dirt cheap for a spindle! Last one I bought for my shaper cost almost $700. For that price I would buy the spindle, know it's made correctly and is the right one for the machine, and get to making saw dust….but that's just me.

As far as interchangeable spindle retention preference….well the Martin system is the best hands down:D My Asian import shaper just uses a single nut and never had a problem with it, but in general I'd stick to what came with the machine.

good luck,
JeffD

Jared Sankovich
11-19-2015, 8:36 PM
Not for nothing but $160 is dirt cheap for a spindle! Last one I bought for my shaper cost almost $700. For that price I would buy the spindle, know it's made correctly and is the right one for the machine, and get to making saw dust….but that's just me.

As far as interchangeable spindle retention preference….well the Martin system is the best hands down:D My Asian import shaper just uses a single nut and never had a problem with it, but in general I'd stick to what came with the machine.

good luck,
JeffD

LOL I guess I'm disconnected from reality on the spindle prices. The grizzly made spindles for my delta HD shaper were $12 and $18 respectively.

$160 was 16% of what I paid for the shaper and power feeder :)

Jim Andrew
11-19-2015, 8:59 PM
Sounds like the police should be investigating at your shop. What a great deal!

Peter Quinn
11-19-2015, 10:19 PM
I prefer a single nut on an acme thread with a keyed washer for reverse rotation. Simple big wrench, spindle lock. Those grizzly spindles with the double nut feel like they were made by an amateur practicing in his basement. Only thing more hack is the two ratchets welded to a nut that tighten the fence plate adjusters. Whole thing is very home spun. Pretty much anything you make will be better. Actually I'd stick with the 1" spindle for now and concentrate on making a real working hood/fence.

Rod Sheridan
11-20-2015, 4:24 PM
My favourite retention method is the cap with 2 pins and a hex socket bolt.

You don't have to reef on it and it doesn't care what direction of rotation is...............Rod.

Jared Sankovich
11-20-2015, 8:48 PM
My favourite retention method is the cap with 2 pins and a hex socket bolt.

You don't have to reef on it and it doesn't care what direction of rotation is...............Rod.

Yeah I was thinking something similar but with flats on the spindle and a mating socket like washer/cap.

I looked again tonight at the spindle and apparently I wasn't looking very hard when I thought it was a 1". It's actually a 1.25" spindle..ha.

I still plan on making a .750 spindle to be able to use my smaller cutters.

Jared Sankovich
11-20-2015, 8:50 PM
I prefer a single nut on an acme thread with a keyed washer for reverse rotation. Simple big wrench, spindle lock. Those grizzly spindles with the double nut feel like they were made by an amateur practicing in his basement. Only thing more hack is the two ratchets welded to a nut that tighten the fence plate adjusters. Whole thing is very home spun. Pretty much anything you make will be better. Actually I'd stick with the 1" spindle for now and concentrate on making a real working hood/fence.

Yeah I thought the original owner welded those ratchets on..ha.

Do you have a fence design you like?