PDA

View Full Version : Help with shoulder plane purchase

Jeffrey Cole
11-19-2015, 3:13 PM
I need to purchase a shoulder plane. I am looking at a medium plane from Lie-Nielsen and also from Veritas. Do any of you have a preference and why. If you have other makers you like let me know also. I wouild Just like to get your input before I spend the $.
Thank you for your time!!!
Jeffrey

Prashun Patel
11-19-2015, 3:23 PM
jeffrey-
I have the Veritas Medium. It's fantastic and takes a clean, easy cut. It does what it's supposed to.

But If I could do it again, I'd get a large one. In fact, I'm trying to sell my medium one in favor of a large one or router plane.

Malcolm McLeod
11-19-2015, 3:48 PM
I have the LN medium, and have not regretted any LN purchase except my choice of size. On 're-do', I'd get large to start, then add small as needs required.

lowell holmes
11-19-2015, 3:59 PM
I have the LV medium shoulder plane. I bought it in order to square tenon shoulders. I have better luck with a sharp paring chisel.

I also have the 60 1/2 block plane. I seem to have better luck with it.

Don't get me wrong, the LV medium shoulder plane is a quality tool. I think it is operator error.:)

I will say that I would buy the large shoulder plane if I were buying a new one.

Kevin Perez
11-19-2015, 4:11 PM
I like the size of the medium LV, but that's probably because it does what I need: cleaning out dadoes and adjusting small tenons.

Mike Henderson
11-19-2015, 5:15 PM
The LV medium shoulder plane is a LOT more comfortable to use than the LN one.

Mike

Trevor Goodwin
11-19-2015, 5:34 PM
Another one to consider is the Stanley Sweetheart #92 that they re-released. I have one and it is the real deal. Not as ergonomic as the LV an LN with its lack of knobs and sharp edges, but it is accurate and has a good cutter (3/4"). It excels at cleaning shoulders. When I use it on cheeks I use it to hog material off, then clean up with a chisel. I don't find it useful for smoothing cheeks because it always needs to run across grain or close to and this leaves a rough finish.

paul cottingham
11-19-2015, 5:41 PM
Love my LV medium and large shoulder planes. Bought the medium first, but honetly, if i did it again, i would have bought the large shoulder plane first.

Derek Cohen
11-19-2015, 6:54 PM
Didn't we have this conversation justba couple of days ago?

The purpose of the plane is important.

I suspect that those who seek the Large plan to use it on tenon cheeks. It certainly can be done, but I find there are better balanced planes for this task. For example, skew or rebate block planes. I prefer a rasp or float, and will go to a router plane on occasion.

The Small (1/2") is my favourite for shoulders, if I do not use a chisel first (it depends on the situation). It is wide enough for most shoulders and does not obscure the work piece. Having said that, if I only had one shoulder plane, it would be the Medium, since this is the best alrounder, for example, has more heft to use on rebates.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob Luter
11-19-2015, 7:02 PM

Mike

i have one of these. It's a great user.

Frank Martin
11-19-2015, 7:11 PM
I have the LV set. They are excellent. Although, since moving to lose tenon joinery (currently with Domino) have not used these planes.

glenn bradley
11-19-2015, 7:28 PM

Mike

This goes for me too although I have read posts where people are asking "how do you hold this thing?". I usually hold it like so.

325581 . 325582

Sometimes fingers through the holes, sometimes not . . . other times, other ways; depends what I am doing. I do find I can grip it with confidence in a variety of ways which is probably why it gets used so much.

I was lucky enough to be at an event where I could try both repeatedly so I found the one that suits me best. This may not be true for everyone. I also have the large and love it but, the medium gets used more often.

Mike Cherry
11-19-2015, 7:30 PM
I need to purchase a shoulder plane. I am looking at a medium plane from Lie-Nielsen and also from Veritas. Do any of you have a preference and why. If you have other makers you like let me know also. I wouild Just like to get your input before I spend the $.
Thank you for your time!!!
Jeffrey
I bought a LV medium shoulder plane. I rarely use it. Don't get me wrong, I am far from an expert, but as my sawing gets better I find that a paring chisel does all I need for shoulders and cheeks. As for dadoes, I level this joint with a router plane. The router plane can also fine tune tenons.

Im not saying it's not a good tool, I just haven't evolved enough to use it to its fullest potential maybe.

Mike Cherry
11-19-2015, 7:31 PM
I hold the LV medium the same way, it's very comfy.

Jeffrey Cole
11-20-2015, 5:35 PM
Thank you all for your help, insight and thoughtful answers. I have a lot to think over before I place my order.
Jeffrey

Greg R Bradley
11-20-2015, 10:05 PM
I just looked over the collective wisdom of people that know far more than I do about hand tools and bought the LV Large. I just had to buy something during LV's free freight event and this came up. I assume some day my brother and I will try his medium and my large out and make the decision of which one is THE one to buy. I'll bet you a million dollars that the answer will be BOTH. And of course that still leaves the small one to buy........

Mike Cherry
11-21-2015, 12:45 AM
But the Lie Nielsen small bronze shoulder plane is so sexy.... Lol

Ryan Baker
11-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Both the LV and LN are great tools. The difference is a preference thing. I have the LV, which I find much more comfortable to hold and therefore use.

And yes, that LN small bronze shoulder plane is hard to resist!