PDA

View Full Version : best miter saw to buy

Chris Payne
11-19-2015, 12:46 AM
Thinking of buying myself a new miter saw what is a good one to get I have 2 dewalt now like to do a little better.

Allan Speers
11-19-2015, 12:57 AM
Nobex Champion:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884 (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884)

:)

No dust, no noise. Incredible accuracy.

I realize you're looking for one of those loud, obnoxious beasts, but if you're just a hobbyist, you might seriously want to re-think that.

I bought / installed 2 extra clamps on mine, plus all the optional blades. Then I made a custom base with sturdier stock supports. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Ben Grunow
11-19-2015, 6:22 AM
To me and chop/slide saw choice has almost always come down to fence capacity. I like to cut crown moldings upside down (like a miter saw) and need a tall fence for that. TBH I havent found a saw made by the more well know manufacturers that I really didnt like or wasnt accurate enough but the DeWalt 12" chop saw has been my go to with a the best blade you can afford (more about the fence and blade than saw I guess I am saying). Slider takes too much room behind it for my shop but is good for the site.

Robert Parent
11-19-2015, 8:24 AM
Bosch Glide Arm..... Nothing else I have owned or used even comes close.

Robert

Peter Kuhlman
11-19-2015, 8:58 AM
I have owned a few and tried several. My last was a Makita LS1013 but was very frustrating to use as it would stick at the end to the travel rail. Got aMakita LS0714 based upon lots of recommendations here and LOVE it. Super accurate and the small blade really helps as has no flex. Very light weight so easy to move and store. Backed it up with a Dewalt 12" chop saw for construction type work. No complaints. Only issue is I believe Makita stopped making them and now has a Chinese made 8" version that is not getting near as many good reviews. Mine was Japanese made and has great fit and finish. Sometimes smaller is better depending upon your needs. Of course tall crown requires big saw if cutting vertically so you are back to 10-12" saws. Guess I would still recommend the Festool for that.

Barrett Sammons
11-19-2015, 10:33 AM
A lot would depend on use. I have a simple 10" Hitachi nonslider, single bevel that I use for quick cuts. It will cut a 4x4 with ease and that is the most I really need it to do. Everything else can be done with the table saw or circular saw. Don't even really use it much any more really. They are on sale at Amazon and Lowes for $100 now. My buddy has the 12" slider that he regrets getting because it isn't easy to move around and he hasn't really needed the slider or bigger blade. Neither of us are contractors though so keep that in mind since user and uses determine the tool.

Bill Adamsen
11-19-2015, 11:37 AM
I have the Hitachi 8-1/2 inch slider and it works fine. Sliders have the advantage of being able to cut dadoes which is critical for job-site work.

Complaints would be (in order of annoyance) ... a) very poor dust collection b) somewhat awkward to carry c) space requirement behind saw d) blade guard catches on material in some cutting configurations. But the fact is, I bought this thing about 25 or 30 years ago and it is still working like the day I brought it home.

Are there any miter saws that have solved the dust problem?

James Zhu
11-19-2015, 12:07 PM
Are there any miter saws that have solved the dust problem?

Festool Kapex.

Bill Adamsen
11-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Festool Kapex.

James ... do you have first hand experience with this, and are you really pleased with how it works?

James Zhu
11-19-2015, 12:26 PM
James ... do you have first hand experience with this, and are you really pleased with how it works?

Yes, I have one, excellent miter saw, way better than my previous 12" Riggid sliding compound miter saw. I believe 92% dust collection Festool claimes is based on the 36mm hose, not the stock 27mm hose. I think someone posted here how to improvement the already very good dust collection on Kapex. I also plan to get this extension bracket http://www.multiblades.com/UniversalKapexBracket.html.

peter gagliardi
11-19-2015, 12:30 PM
I do. As long as you use Festool's mid size hose- the one that fits outside the saws dust port, you can effectively cut in someone's living room all day, with proper sawing technique.
There is nothing on the market that I'm aware of, that even comes close to the effective dust capture.
And the saw is quite nice once you give it a chance.

Kent Adams
11-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Nobex Champion:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884 (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

I realize you're looking for one of those loud, obnoxious beasts, but if you're just a hobbyist, you might seriously want to re-think that.

I bought / installed 2 extra clamps on mine, plus all the optional blades. Then I made a custom base with sturdier stock supports. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

That is a really neat saw. I might not have bought the Kapex if I had seen one of those.

Matt Krusen
11-19-2015, 12:38 PM
I love my Kapex. A lot of people won't give it a chance due to the high price, which I agree is quite expensive. However, the dust collection and extreme accuracy make it worth every penny in my opinion.

glenn bradley
11-19-2015, 12:41 PM
That is a really neat saw. I might not have bought the Kapex if I had seen one of those.

Which post are you talking about please?

James Zhu
11-19-2015, 12:59 PM

He is referring to Nobex miter box http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884 . I never regret buying Kapex.

ken masoumi
11-19-2015, 1:01 PM
Post #2,Nobex miter box.

sebastian phillips
11-19-2015, 1:08 PM
I would strongly recommend the 7 1/2" Makita slider. I have used a Kapex, and the Makita's dust collection is as good or better.
The smaller blade is less likely to deflect, and the blades are cheaper (not to mention you could buy 3 saws for the cost of a Kapex). Other pluses of the Makita are the small footprint and light weight-real easy to move around site to get close to your work.
The downsides are that it only bevels one direction (I have never found this to be a problem on stair and trim jobs), and that larger crowns will have to be cut on the flat. I prefer to cut crown in position, but some built up kitchen crowns have to be cut on the flat anyway, it's easy to get used to.
In fact, instead of a Kapex, I'd buy the 7 1/4" slider and a non-beveling/non-sliding 12" saw like the older DeWalts (also equal dust pickup to the Kapex). You could get these two saws and a bunch of quality blades for less than the Festool, and have just about every need covered.
I'm not against Festool at all, I love their sanders and vacs, but the Kapex is waaay overpriced, and cuts no better than most offerings on the market

James Zhu
11-19-2015, 1:28 PM
I would strongly recommend the 7 1/2" Makita slider. I have used a Kapex, and the Makita's dust collection is as good or better.
The smaller blade is less likely to deflect, and the blades are cheaper (not to mention you could buy 3 saws for the cost of a Kapex). Other pluses of the Makita are the small footprint and light weight-real easy to move around site to get close to your work.
The downsides are that it only bevels one direction (I have never found this to be a problem on stair and trim jobs), and that larger crowns will have to be cut on the flat. I prefer to cut crown in position, but some built up kitchen crowns have to be cut on the flat anyway, it's easy to get used to.
In fact, instead of a Kapex, I'd buy the 7 1/4" slider and a non-beveling/non-sliding 12" saw like the older DeWalts (also equal dust pickup to the Kapex). You could get these two saws and a bunch of quality blades for less than the Festool, and have just about every need covered.
I'm not against Festool at all, I love their sanders and vacs, but the Kapex is waaay overpriced, and cuts no better than most offerings on the market

I am very surprised you claim Makita and DeWalts miter saws have equal or better dust collection than Festool Kapex. This is untrue to me.

Peter Kelly
11-19-2015, 1:38 PM
I think the only powered saw I'd put ahead of the Kapex are Omga's ones (http://hoffmann-usa.com/machinery/omga-production-miter-saws). The Nobex miter box is great but it gets a bit tricky to shave small amounts of material off the way you can with a power miter saw. I suppose you'd want a Lion Miter Trimmer as well if you went the neander route.

The very best manual miter saw is made by Graule btw: http://www.graule.de/produkte-ablaengsaege.php?lang=en
Expensive though.

John K Jordan
11-19-2015, 2:12 PM
>Bosch Glide Arm

Same here. No comparison to others I've had and used.

JKJ

sebastian phillips
11-19-2015, 2:20 PM
I have cut 1,000's of feet of running trim with each saw. The dust collection is equal between the little Makita and the Kapex.
The DeWalt I am referring to is their non-tilt/non bevel 12" saw from 15 years ago (very good dust collection, slightly below the Kapex, and the most accurate non-Omga miter saw I have ever used).
Read closely, I am not saying that ALL Makita and Dewalt saws collect dust like a Kapex.
However, in my real world experience, the two saws I mention do collect dust equally, at a fraction of the cost, and with equal cut quality.
To praise the Kapex a little-it has the best (largest) bevel scale of any saw I have seen, and the easy tilt of it's bevel makes setting precise bevel angles a breeze.

Victor Robinson
11-19-2015, 2:55 PM
Reasons the Kapex stands out (i.e., unique features - only you can decide if worth the $):
1) Dust collection
2) Rail-forward design (if space is an issue in a small shop)
3) Lasers that are accurate and actually usable
4) Reasonable noise level with a relatively pleasant growl (for a miter saw)
5) Variable speed motor - can cut a variety of materials cleanly (with the correct blade of course)

Allan Speers
11-19-2015, 3:59 PM
I think the only powered saw I'd put ahead of the Kapex are Omga's ones (http://hoffmann-usa.com/machinery/omga-production-miter-saws). The Nobex miter box is great but it gets a bit tricky to shave small amounts of material off the way you can with a power miter saw. I suppose you'd want a Lion Miter Trimmer as well if you went the neander route. .

This is correct. Taking slivers off is tricky, which is exactly why I installed 2 extra clamps. They are positioned immediately outside of the cutting area, so the stock doesn't flex, and it solves that problem. (Together with a simple sacrificial base, which I insert into the bottom "triangular" area) Also, for that kind of thing I'll sometimes install the optional extra-fine blade.

This kind of thing is not recommended for high volume production shops, of course, but if you have just a little extra time, I find you can actually get better results with the hand miters, vs even the best powered miter saw. You can really see what's going on, and you can easily stop before making a huge mistake. I also like being able to work in the middle of the night, if needed, and no needing any vacuum or mask. Also, the few times I needed it "on location," I appreciated how much lighter it is than a good CMS.

For super-precision, even a Lion Trimmer is bested by having a good shooting board rig. I would suggest this even for guys that don't use any other hand tools, if super-precise miters are required. (such as with picture frames.)

Alan Lightstone
11-19-2015, 4:27 PM
OMGA:

$5,583.00 Miter Saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never feel bad about what I paid for my Kapex again.

+2 about using the bigger (36mm) hose with the Kapex.

Also wish it had a little better hold down system (although it works great on most pieces).

Peter Kelly
11-19-2015, 5:42 PM
For the truly discerning neander: http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tools/jointmaker/jointmakers/jmpv2-jointmaker-pro.html

Kent Adams
11-19-2015, 6:05 PM
Oops, wrong thread.

Vijay Kumar
11-20-2015, 12:23 AM
Sebastian what model numbers for the Makita and the Dewalt are you recommending?

Allan Speers
11-20-2015, 1:21 AM
For the truly discerning neander: http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tools/jointmaker/jointmakers/jmpv2-jointmaker-pro.html

Woah ........

sebastian phillips
11-20-2015, 7:40 AM
Sebastian what model numbers for the Makita and the Dewalt are you recommending?

Hi Vijay, the Makita is model #LSO714 (7 1/2" sliding compound miter saw).

The DeWalt I was referring to is at least 20 years old, 12" non-slide, non-bevel. I'm sorry I don't have a model # on this, probably tough to find anyway, mine finally died a few years ago. My point in mentioning this saw is that oftentimes, these simple 12" saws are the best saw for the job-less moving parts equals greater accuracy, and you get a big capacity for cutting crown in position.

The whole dust collection argument is a little overrated in a shop-build a simple hood for whatever saw you get.

Rich Riddle
11-20-2015, 7:57 AM
Another vote for the Makita 0714 if you are working with small stuff. After that, I have the Bosch slider. Works great but not as good as a Kapex.

Bill Adamsen
11-20-2015, 8:51 AM
The 7-1/2 and 8-1/2 Sliders from Makita and Hitachi are reasonably light at about 30# +/-. The Festool comes in at 47#, some of the dual slide compounds are up at 60#. Obviously weight is just one selection criteria ... but it is worth comparing.

Ole Anderson
11-20-2015, 8:59 AM
Nobex Champion:

:)

I bought / installed 2 extra clamps on mine, plus all the optional blades. Then I made a custom base with sturdier stock supports. I wouldn't trade it for anything.Had one once. Great if you want slow and quiet. Not so good if you need to nibble a bit off the end of a 45 degree miter. Lasted exactly until I got my first powered miter saw years ago, a 10" Milwaukee . Only a few times did I ever wish I had a compound miter saw or a 12" blade.

Aaron Berk
11-20-2015, 9:45 PM
I own a 10" Bosch axial glide. It replaced my 12" dewalt single bevel non slider. I've had it a few yrs now and am still elated every time I use it. Its heavy, and not the best on DC, but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Kent Adams
11-21-2015, 1:28 AM
I have cut 1,000's of feet of running trim with each saw. The dust collection is equal between the little Makita and the Kapex.
The DeWalt I am referring to is their non-tilt/non bevel 12" saw from 15 years ago (very good dust collection, slightly below the Kapex, and the most accurate non-Omga miter saw I have ever used).
Read closely, I am not saying that ALL Makita and Dewalt saws collect dust like a Kapex.
However, in my real world experience, the two saws I mention do collect dust equally, at a fraction of the cost, and with equal cut quality.
To praise the Kapex a little-it has the best (largest) bevel scale of any saw I have seen, and the easy tilt of it's bevel makes setting precise bevel angles a breeze.

Here is a video of that Makita's dust collection in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmGHPjyWQo

I'd say that's pretty good, but not as good as the Kapex. One of the things I don't like about it is that it's not well balanced. Move the blade back and the saw will tilt backward. https://youtu.be/757N1sZHlaY?t=2m35s

Martin Wasner
11-21-2015, 2:43 AM
OMGA:

$5,583.00 Miter Saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering it's ten times the quality of the Festool, I call it a bargain.

Used ones pop up all the time and can usually be had for around $600

jack duren
11-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Thinking of buying myself a new miter saw what is a good one to get I have 2 dewalt now like to do a little better.

What do you mean "a little better".?

paul cottingham
11-21-2015, 11:09 PM
I have a dewalt chop saw that works well. But i have lent it out to a neighbour. Dont miss it. I use an old (1920's) Stanley mitre box.

Michael Zerance
11-22-2015, 7:31 PM
I think it depends a lot on where and how it is to be used.

Dave Lehnert
11-22-2015, 7:40 PM
I have owned the Ridgid 12" sliding miter saw for 3 or 4 years now.
Dead on accurate and cuts are smooth as glass.
I did notice it was no longer in stock at Home Depot. That model seems to come and go.