PDA

View Full Version : Another scam?

Ole Anderson
11-18-2015, 8:44 PM
Last summer I bought something online and was offered 3 month subscriptions to 4 magazines for $2 each, with the promise they would contact me before extending the subscription "at great prices". So last month I see a $120 charge for magazine subscriptions. I call the number that came up with the charge and I get a computer, with absolutely no way to talk to a person. So I thought I cancelled them using the proper voice commands. Shortly thereafter I see a credit for $2. Called back and reiterated the cancel commands. If I don't see a substantial refund in a few days, I am calling our CC company (MasterCharge) and see what they can do. I'm feeling pretty gullible at the moment.

Myk Rian
11-18-2015, 9:15 PM
If I don't see a substantial refund in a few days, I am calling our CC company (MasterCharge) and see what they can do.
Should have done that first.

I'm feeling pretty gullible at the moment.[/quote]
Yep.

Barry McFadden
11-18-2015, 9:39 PM
I NEVER subscribe to anything that has a great price for a few months because you ALWAYS have to cancel before they start billing you the REAL price!!

Chuck Wintle
11-19-2015, 5:25 AM
call your credit card company right now and tell them that these charges made are fraudulent. It happened to me once before and the charges were removed but they still sent me an affidavit to sign and return( a real paper document by snail mail)stating that it was not me who made the charges.

Wayne Lovell
11-19-2015, 7:56 AM
I never subscribe to anything that requires me to use my credit card or set up anything that automatically bills my credit card. If they don't want to take a check for a specific time I don't need it.

glenn bradley
11-19-2015, 8:11 AM
call your credit card company right now and tell them that these charges made are fraudulent.

Yes, this. Right now. These people prey on folks like you and me who tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and expect them to clear things up like any responsible party would. We delay until it is too late. They are busy moving on to the next victim and are not even aware that you are trying to rectify the situation.

Dan Hintz
11-19-2015, 8:13 AM
Last summer I bought something online and was offered 3 month subscriptions to 4 magazines for $2 each, with the promise they would contact me before extending the subscription "at great prices". So last month I see a $120 charge for magazine subscriptions. I call the number that came up with the charge and I get a computer, with absolutely no way to talk to a person. So I thought I cancelled them using the proper voice commands. Shortly thereafter I see a credit for $2. Called back and reiterated the cancel commands. If I don't see a substantial refund in a few days, I am calling our CC company (MasterCharge) and see what they can do. I'm feeling pretty gullible at the moment.

When you call your CC company, mention there's no viable way to speak to a person for questions/cancellations. That's against their TOS and can get them booted (I'd love to say "will" rather than "can", but the CC companies don't always make the logical decision). It should also allow for an easy reversal of charges process since you did your due diligence and were blocked by the subscription company.

Mike Wilkins
11-19-2015, 10:15 AM
Books A Million bookstore has a nice, although deceitful in my mind. They offer you 3 magazine subscriptions free for 3 months, with the option of either subscribing or not at the end of 3 months. Only problem is, if you pay with a credit or debit card, you automatically get billed for the subscriptions. You have to contact them to unsubscribe or they keep billing you. I complain about this each time I go into one of their stores, and get asked to try these for free. Never again.

Bert Kemp
11-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Nothing is free, If I ever see an offer to send me something for free, no CC required no shipping charges, no nothing then I might try it. But then they have your ship address and bombard you with junk mail. you can't win.

Jim Koepke
11-19-2015, 1:33 PM
But then they have your ship address and bombard you with junk mail.

We call it junk mail. One of my mail carriers called it "jobs mail."

Now I do not mind it as much. Just toss it into the recycling kept close to the back door.

jtk