PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0566B Troubleshooting

Cam Green
11-18-2015, 8:33 PM
Good evening. This is my first post on Sawmill Creek. Prior to my membership, I spent countless hours browsing the forums to help make an informed decision on a bandsaw to purchase. After considering all options, I ended up buying a Grizzly G0566B the beginning of October. As this is my first bandsaw purchase, I've encountered a couple minor issues that I wanted to reach out those far more experienced than myself with and see if I can get them resolved. As is, I don't know what to chalk up to beginner mistakes vs. a potential saw issue. I consulted Grizzly tech support early on when issues arose and continue to work with them in trying to achieve a resolution. I'm having difficulty with the following items:

When I use the tension lever to remove tension from the blade after finishing with the saw, I find that the blade does not tension correctly next time I use the saw and reapply tension. Essentially, I remove tension, reapply tension and then use the tension wheel to get the blade back where it started. Is this normal? I suppose I expected the blade to remain set up properly after cycling the tension lever but perhaps this just isn't realistic?
(Most critical) I have a pretty bad blade vibration going on. I have been using the flutter method to tension blades but can't seem to work this issue out. Essentially what happens is after the blade flutters, I increase the tension wheel until the flutter stops (as directed in the manual). Then, I set the guides (as in the manual and Mark Duginske's book). My problem is that the blade breaks out into this high frequency vibration that taps on the side guides at a rapid rate and makes an awful noise. Sometimes I get the blade vibration to stop at which point the saw runs like a dream but then it'll randomly transition back into this state? :confused: And, it's not just when the blade is "undertensioned." When "overtensioned" the vibration can be just as bad if not worse. It does the same thing on start up and shut down as well. Am I doing something wrong? I have several new 3/4" blade from woodcraft bands and they all do the same thing so surely it's not a blade issue?

These are my primary two issues currently. I do apologize for my long post but wanted to try and communicate the problem(s). Any help would be greatly appreciated. The only diagnostic measure I HAVEN'T taken yet is to remove the table and check the wheels are coplanar. Other than that, the wheels seem well balanced and the machine runs with little vibration with the blade off. The saw also passes the nickel test for a few seconds with blade installed and running.