PDA

View Full Version : I Got a Call From the IRS

Jim Koepke
11-18-2015, 5:07 PM
It was about 5:30 this morning from what sounded like a computer generated voice claiming to be Nicki Johnson from the IRS and that my attorney should call the number 408-789-6598. There was also a stern warning to not even think about ignoring this time sensitive call.

I know government employees can be dedicated, but so dedicated as to be in their office this early in the morning?

Besides:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Urges-Public-to-Stay-Alert-for-Scam-Phone-Calls

Tells me the IRS doesn't make such calls without first sending notification via mail.

Thanks be that some, mostly the government, still do things with paper forms and trails.

Though just this morning I was bemoaning the thought of having to print a form and mail it in to authorize an automatic pension deduction.

jtk

Tom M King
11-18-2015, 5:47 PM
I guess it was about 3:30 in the afternoon in Nigeria.

Bruce Volden
11-18-2015, 5:54 PM
Jim,
The IRS "got" me too!
See 'ya in jail.

Bruce

Pat Barry
11-18-2015, 6:56 PM
The IRS letter is in the mail. It might be another day or two before it arrives. DAMHIKT

Ken Fitzgerald
11-18-2015, 7:26 PM
.....and Microsoft's service department doesn't call either.

Recently I informed the woman calling that I had a Mac ......as she tried to change her story......I told her that she was obviously a scammer. She spitted and sputtered.

I don't have Mac but it was funny to listen to her backpeddle.

Robert Delhommer Sr
11-18-2015, 7:30 PM
Can't even imagine a government employee working at 5:30 in the morning.

Dan Hintz
11-18-2015, 7:32 PM

They're often not working at 2:30 in the afternoon, either ;)

Art Mann
11-18-2015, 8:16 PM
Careful. You are desecrating holy ground when you talk about the government.

Greg R Bradley
11-18-2015, 8:18 PM
They might be employed but they never work. Simply parasites on people that actually work.

John Goodin
11-18-2015, 9:38 PM
Yeah, it is easy to bash government employees. But I would like for you guys to make those jokes to the government employee paramedic as he or she is working to save your life after a 4 am heart attack. Like any work place there are employees who are dedicated and work hard and there are those who are examples of "potential energy."

Dan Hintz
11-19-2015, 8:02 AM
Yeah, it is easy to bash government employees. But I would like for you guys to make those jokes to the government employee paramedic as he or she is working to save your life after a 4 am heart attack. Like any work place there are employees who are dedicated and work hard and there are those who are examples of "potential energy."

Congratulations, you just described the entire workforce of the world, just like we did. Have a sense of humor...

Wayne Lovell
11-19-2015, 8:04 AM
I agree there are good hard working government employees, and I know BOTH of them.

Jim Becker
11-19-2015, 11:18 AM
I can confirm that the call didn't come from the IRS (actually there's a different Treasury agency that handles collections) since they don't actually make calls like that as you've already surmised...it's a scam. Period.

Jim Koepke
11-19-2015, 12:14 PM

I worked on a graveyard shift at a semi-government agency. You are right, almost all of them would be sleeping at that hour.

jtk

Scott Donley
11-19-2015, 12:35 PM
I will trade you my calls from Bridget or Heather at Credit Card Service for your call from the IRS. :)

Jim Koepke
11-19-2015, 1:31 PM
I will trade you my calls from Bridget or Heather at Credit Card Service for your call from the IRS. :)

I keep getting their calls. Each time they warn it is the last time they will call.

If they can't keep their promise of never calling again, why should I trust them with anything else?

jtk

jared herbert
11-19-2015, 2:04 PM
I got a cell phone call yesterday saying I won a trip to the Bahamas. I hung up before I got the details, hope they call me back with the details.
also my son is a government employee, he is a dedicated worker, believes strongly in what he is doing, and I he does not turn in all of the expenses and mileage he is entitled to. Jared

Mark Patoka
11-19-2015, 2:14 PM
The only reason us gov't workers are sleeping at 2:30pm is because we came into the office early to make prank phone calls at 5:30 am.

Tom Stenzel
11-19-2015, 9:14 PM
Looks like I hit the trifecta yet again: recordings left by the IRS- check, calls from Credit Card Sevices- check, call from Microsoft Service about problems with my (Linux) computer- check. I'm on a roll!

BTW, I worked for the government for over 30 years. Napping at work? Well, you wouldn't want me all tired and cranky driving home from work, would you?

;)

-Tom

"I'm from the Government and I'm here to help." - on a button a co-worker of mine wore for about 25 years

Joe Tilson
11-20-2015, 11:04 AM
My brother retired about a year ago. It's funny, He doesn't sound frustrated anymore.
I'm serious, he is human acting again. Well for him anyway.:D