PDA

View Full Version : TS Miter Gauge Question

Mike Goetzke
11-18-2015, 10:31 AM
I have an Incra 1000HD. Few years ago I had a new Unisaw and it had the miter slot "T" grove to keep the gauge from tilting (or falling off) the front of the saw for wide crosscuts. I went through a shop change and thought I could do w/o a TS and sold the new Uni. About a year later I found a 1950 Uni locally that I had fully restored almost 2-years ago. I love this old saw but the table isn't as deep and the miter slots don't have the undercut to accept the "T" piece on the miter gauge. Last weekend I had several cuts that required the gauge to be pulled back a bit and it had a tendency to tip. I put some wood scraps under it for support but was wondering if there was a more "elegant" and permanent fix

Thanks,

Mike

Doug Garson
11-18-2015, 1:17 PM
325524325522Not sure if it would work on a Uni but if your front fence support includes a square tube like the Delta T2 fence on my Rockwell Beaver, you could make an infeed extension with miter slots that clamps over the square tube and tightens with a cam lever. I use it with my sled and also miter gage.

Mike Goetzke
11-18-2015, 2:56 PM
Thanks that looks great & should work but I would need to add material on top of the tube to the left to support the fence.

glenn bradley
11-18-2015, 5:46 PM
Similar to Doug's approach. It has come in very handy for large panels.

325536 . 325535 . 325537

John Lankers
11-18-2015, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure if it would work for you, if you could attach a rare earth magnet to the front of the miter bar; that could keep it from tipping but to keep it sliding smoothly you would also need to affix UHMW tape under the magnet.

Davis Young
11-19-2015, 3:03 AM
I don't know if you would call it elegant or lazy but I have had on occasion flip the miter gauge around so the head is on the far side of the board. It can be a little awkward guiding it towards the end of the cut though. Also, I have the benefit of the Delta 50-302 outfeed table attached, which when folded down gives me an extra foot of support, basically like Doug and glenn's idea but in reverse.