PDA

View Full Version : Extra Blower/Dust Collector Motor?

Matt Geraci
11-18-2015, 8:20 AM
Hey everyone,
Well I've made the jump and added a laser to my arsenal! I'm climbing up the learning curve and doing well. Thanks to all of you who provided input over the last year or so of research. I was wondering if anyone has an extra dust collector motor/blower motor laying around their shop that they'd be willing to sell. I've been trolling Craigslist and other local sites for a cheap/used dust collector that I could scavenge from but haven't had decent luck. I was going to go to the local Harbor Freight this week and just buy a 1hp or 2hp dust collector but I hate buying the whole "system" only to throw away the extra stuff I don't need just for the motor... I figured someone here may have some extra gear that's taking up space. Reply here or PM me.

Details - plan on a short run - 10 ft up into ceiling, 90 elbow, 5-6 feet to the blower motor (to be hard mounted in the attic) 6 ft direct vent to the outside through the eves.

Thanks!
Matt

Keith Winter
11-18-2015, 9:08 AM
Cannot get cheaper than Harbor freight shopping would kill the deal in anyone sending you spare equipment. For example I have a spare 1 hp blower but packaging and shipping would be $40 alone. Say I sold it to you for 50% of what I paid for it which would be half of $170 you're still looking at $125 which is $25 less than the new price at Harbor freight. Granted you could argue penn state is better or worse but all the cheap blowers like these are made in china. You're better off going new...

Gary Hair
11-18-2015, 9:55 AM
Here is the one you want Matt - it really doesn't come with too much extra stuff.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html

Kev Williams
11-18-2015, 11:18 AM
I chuckle whenever I read these blower posts, especially when it concerns HF blowers, or "air loss" thru inefficient tubing...

Here's one of the two blowers in my basement stairwell, this one connected to my LS900, the other is behind and left in the corner by the door, it's connected to my ULS. I have a hole cut in the door for the power cord and dryer vent tubing for that one. The ULS blower is 13 years old, the one in the pic is almost 11. It used to be inside, right behind the machine, but I got tired of it pushing smoke into the house so I moved it outside about 8 years ago. I made up a plex window for it's hose and power cord. Notice it's not protected from the weather. It IS under the house eaves, and almost under the back porch, but it still gets rained and snowed on. And notice the poor hose, it's been stomped on enough it's nearly flat. But it (and the other one) runs like, sounds like and sucks air exactly as they did the same as the day I bought them. Even with the flattened cheap dryer hose tubing it still draws enough air thru my machine that it'll suck away any flames that start up. It's one of the reasons I rarely if ever use air assist.

These blowers are supposed to be cheap chinese junk, and my evacuation system is likely the worst one in the country, but they more than do the job and what can I say about longevity? If they ever DO quit running, I'll be buying the same ones to replace them! (I've also had one of the bigger ones for 10 years, and other than the switch went bad once, no other problems with it either)

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/hfblower1.jpg

Gary Hair
11-18-2015, 12:24 PM
I chuckle whenever I read these blower posts, especially when it concerns HF blowers, or "air loss" thru inefficient tubing...

Air loss and efficiency are very real Kev! all you need is an engineering degree and thousands of dollars in parts and you can have the very best system known to man. Or, you can do like almost everyone else and get a $100 HF blower and hook it up. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work well enough and you have to buy a bigger motor, but as you have proven, it will probably work fine. I have 14' of drain pipe into a 90 and then 6' of drain pipe going through the roof - works fine for my Speedy 400 and my fiber (soon to be 2 fibers). I guarantee it's not the most efficient system in the world but it evacuates the smoke well enough that I don't smell it.

Jerome Stanek
11-18-2015, 2:23 PM
Harbor Freight has the 2 hp on sale now for $169 with coupon. If you need the coupon I can send it to you

Keith Winter
11-18-2015, 2:29 PM
Kev I wasn't saying the harbor freight were chinese junk I was just saying that my penn state chinese junk wasn't much better than the harbor freight chinese junk :) :p

My point was really that buying used wouldn't save him money.

Really impressive they have lasted you that long.

Matt Geraci
11-18-2015, 4:42 PM
Thanks y'all. Just wondered if anyone had an unemployed garage queen that was taking up space. Shipping via USPS Media Mail is pretty economical, that's what I use for my larger projects.

I'd love a copy of that coupon if you can send it. Thanks!

Bill George
11-18-2015, 7:40 PM
Thanks y'all. Just wondered if anyone had an unemployed garage queen that was taking up space. Shipping via USPS Media Mail is pretty economical, that's what I use for my larger projects.

I'd love a copy of that coupon if you can send it. Thanks!
To save him a 46 cent stamp and you a 5 day wait, open up any DIY magazine, AARP or other magazine and tear one out yourself. Or have you been on the HF website lately? You can more than likely download one or sign up for the never ending email promotions.
Media mail is for books and videos, I am sure the post office would wonder what a 25 lb fan was doing inside.

Matt Geraci
11-18-2015, 8:32 PM
To save him a 46 cent stamp and you a 5 day wait, open up any DIY magazine, AARP or other magazine and tear one out yourself. Or have you been on the HF website lately? You can more than likely download one or sign up for the never ending email promotions.
Media mail is for books and videos, I am sure the post office would wonder what a 25 lb fan was doing inside.

You're probably right. Thanks

Jerome Stanek
11-18-2015, 8:51 PM
here is the coupon that you can print

Matt Geraci
11-18-2015, 8:53 PM
Very nice. Thanks much!

PS - Kev - it ain't gotta be pretty, it just has to work! ;)

here is the coupon that you can print