PDA

View Full Version : Used tool sources

Dick Strauss
08-31-2005, 5:13 PM
I live in the Toledo, Ohio area and new to this forum. I've checked the local newspapers, ebay, and quite a few web sites. Most of the site links I've seen lately tend to concentrate on industrial machines that are beyond my needs and my budget.

Does anybody know of a few sources for good used tools? I am in the market for a planer, jointer, and a wood lathe. I don't care if I end up with a mix of new/used tools as long as I get good quality tools.

Thanks in Advance,
Dick

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-31-2005, 6:22 PM
Dick, Welcome aboard.

Here in the Portland, OR area, I watch the newspaper pretty close and have found some pretty good deals for home/hobby type stuff.

But, I also watch the auctions for cabinet shops and other woodworking shops and have found some great opportunities on more industrial equipment (not necessarily real big) and have made some killer buys. You just want to get in for the preview so that you can check out the equipment closely and hopefully under power.

Have also made some great buys on sandpaper, fastners of all types, cabinet hardware and sometimes wood.

I usually stay away from the weekend auctions, too many hobbiests turn out and bid the prices up to high...can often buy new for less!

I would steer away from auction small tools such as sanders, drill motors, routers...they tend to be very well used and often at the end of their life.

Vaughn McMillan
08-31-2005, 6:55 PM
Hi Dick...Welcome to the Creek. This is probably telling you something you already know, but have you browsed the Classified Ads here on Sawmill Creek? Also, I don't know if the area you're in has anything similar, but here in Los Angeles there's a weekly classified ads-only paper called The Recycler. Between their hardcopy and online want ads, I've bought and sold several things locally that weren't suitable for shipping.

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

Matt Meiser
08-31-2005, 8:29 PM
Hi Dick, welcome to the Creek. I am just up the road from you. To answer your question, I usually watch Ebay, Tradin' Post/Tradin' Times, here, and a couple other WW forums. However, mostly the only used tools I've purchased have been from here, Ebay, and antique shops because I usually don't have the patience to wait for something to come along. I did find an awesome deal on my bandsaw in the Monroe Evening News. At BargainTraderOnline.com, you can search Tradin' Times/Tradin' Post without having to buy the paper and wade though the ads.

Alan Turner
08-31-2005, 8:29 PM
Craigs List is another possible source for ads you might like. And, welcome to the Creek.

Dick Strauss
09-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Dick