PDA

View Full Version : TARPS - Who makes a REALLY good one?

Allan Speers
11-17-2015, 8:49 AM
I have recently discovered, to my substantial shock & horror, that most of my tarps have been leaking, perhaps for several years. I keep a lot of lumber outdoors, plus 2 workbenches full of tools, so this is a disaster. I've lost way over 5 grand in beautiful lumber, just at first count, (probably more) and some nice tools are past repair.

Ughh.

It never really dawned on me that tarps don't last forever. These are all around 8 - 10 years old. They're the "Heavy duty" brown ones sold at Home Depot. It looks like they've just started disintegrating, maybe from UV light?
Or maybe from snow & ice?
Or acid rain?
----------------------

So I'm looking online for something super high quality & dependable, but like most items these days, just about every offering seems to have quality issues.

1: Is there any tarp made that's better than the common 14X14 weave, 10 mil dual-layer poly stuff that's readily available? Are any actually, SERIOUSLY crack & UV-proof?

2: What should the expected life be of a such a "high" quality tarp, assuming there is one available?

Myk Rian
11-17-2015, 9:11 AM
Find a place that makes/sells tarps for semi trucks.

John K Jordan
11-17-2015, 9:29 AM
A good tarp can be expensive - I've spent nearly $200 on one. But even the best degrade.

The best insurance I have found is to put a second tarp over the first one. The top one takes the sun and protects the lower one for a long time. When the top one starts to go you can move the second one to the top and put a new one on the bottom.

JKJ

James W Glenn
11-17-2015, 9:44 AM
Canvas is a great material as far as uv resistance. It needs to supported by a frame or ridgeline so that it will not mildew. Tractor supply has canvas tarps and white Ag tarps that state that they are uv resistant and more durable. They also breath which may be an advantage for wood storage.

Tom Ewell
11-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Picked up a white vinyl coated 14 oz tarp from mytarp dot com to put over my deck 'canopy', still going strong after four years.
Very similar to the ones supplied with those temporary tent type carports
Outlasts the silver heavy duty ones I used by double so far.

Have no idea if they'll last 8-10 years like yours didn't.

double tarp is good idea as well.

Howard Acheson
11-17-2015, 11:10 AM
>>>> maybe from UV light?

Yup, that's the primary culprit.

Wes Ramsey
11-17-2015, 12:35 PM
>>>> maybe from UV light?

Yup, that's the primary culprit.

That's for sure. The $5 Walmart tarps I've used in the past simply disintegrate after a summer in the sun. I haven't looked for a replacement, but something that is UV-resistant would certainly last longer.

roger wiegand
11-17-2015, 12:54 PM
The "super heavy duty" tarps from tarpsplus.com seem pretty good. I don't think 10 years is a reasonable expectation for a lifetime for any tarp that's out in the sun and weather. 3-4 years maybe, more than that and you need a more permanent roof.

Lee Schierer
11-17-2015, 5:23 PM
I've lost way over 5 grand in beautiful lumber, just at first count, (probably more) and some nice tools are past repair.

Ughh.

If you lost that much it sounds like you need to invest in a roof instead of tarps....5 grand buys quite a bit of roof that will last 30 years or more.

Ronald Blue
11-17-2015, 7:58 PM
I am thinking one of the metal car ports would be a good investment. They are relatively inexpensive and quick to put up. Did your lumber rot? That's the only way I see it being a total loss.

fRED mCnEILL
11-17-2015, 8:16 PM
You can buy portable structures where the fabric is gauranteed for 20 years.

Erik Manchester
11-18-2015, 7:42 AM
Depending upon where you live, you can visit an agricultural supply store for the heavy tarps that are made to cover hay, etc. They are much better than anything in the box stores, but they cost a bit more.

Bradley Gray
11-18-2015, 8:01 AM
Another problem using tarps to cover lumber is trapping ground moisture - I use metal roofing with a generous overhang.

Allan Speers
11-18-2015, 9:25 AM
Lots of good ideas here, thanks all.

Another problem using tarps to cover lumber is trapping ground moisture - I use metal roofing with a generous overhang.

I kind of like this idea, but what specific item did you use? Can you post an url to the exact product?

Barry Richardson
11-18-2015, 9:46 AM
Around here, used billboard tarps are abundant and cheap, and huge. Thy are far superior to tarps they sell at the borgs, and UV coated. They are large enough and cheap enough to double up if necessary...

Bill McNiel
11-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Try looking at GlobalTarps.com. We did a fair amount of research and are pleased with the "heavy duty" tarp quality and prices. Expecting more than 5-7 years is unrealistic. For your situation I would seriously look at building a simple post and beam structure with a corrugated metal or plastic roof.

Bradley Gray
11-19-2015, 9:04 AM
I kind of like this idea, but what specific item did you use? Can you post an url to the exact product?

I have an assortment of used metal roofing but new is available at most lumber yards. Foe example, I use 10' long metal, 2 or 3 sheets wide to cover a 4' x 8' lumber pile. I put a layer of stickers below the metal and use concrete blocks on top so the metal doesn't blow off.

Bill Adamsen
11-19-2015, 1:06 PM
+1 to Bradley's solution. Cheap corrugated steel lasts a very long time and standard sheets are an excellent size for wood piles either alone or overlapped. Weigh them down with rocks, concrete block, logs, old bathroom fixtures or tractor parts, or other creative solutions. My wife and neighbors think the effect is charming. An improvement perhaps from tarps. They can be found locally at minimal investment.

Doug Hobkirk
11-19-2015, 5:10 PM
...I'm looking online for something super high quality & dependable, but like most items these days, just about every offering seems to have quality issues.

1: Is there any tarp made that's better than the common 14X14 weave, 10 mil dual-layer poly stuff that's readily available? Are any actually, SERIOUSLY crack & UV-proof?

2: What should the expected life be of a such a "high" quality tarp, assuming there is one available?

I'd suggest Northern Tool. Their prices are low and they have about six grades of tarps. A 20x30 tarp would cost $30 to $300. Years ago, I bought two canvas tarps to work as roll-up doors on a shed. I didn't like paying $60 each ($75 now), but they've worked well and still look great.

Bill Neely
11-19-2015, 9:13 PM
I have a structure formed from 1 5/8" chain link fence pipe, peaked roof. I get about 5 good years from one of the heavy duty silver tarps before it wears out at the ridge. Looking at the prices of the better tarps, I just don't think it would be cost effective for me to upgrade. Anyhow, next year I'm adding purlins and will cover it with polycarbonate panels.