PDA

View Full Version : Chinese (shenhui) laser cutter issue

Lee DeGraff
11-17-2015, 8:46 AM
Hello everyone!

First timer here who is just learning the beautiful world of laser cutting :)

Last year I picked up a used 60w Shenhui laser cutter from someone locally. The machine worked great before it was transported, and I haven't gotten around to getting it set up until recently. Well I wasn't able to fire the laser after plugging everything in, and after having gone through everything I could think of and read about without success.

Well I bypassed the E-stop switches this morning and I am now able to now fire the laser via the "test" button on the power supply! I still cannot fire the laser via the control panel. What would be the next logical step for a newbie like me to check?

Thanks so much!!
Lee

Dave Sheldrake
11-17-2015, 9:23 AM
Door switch
Water flow sensor
Underside of the Pad01 controller to check the access lead hasn't shaken loose.

it will be one or more of the above as the test function bypasses all of them except E-Stop

Lee DeGraff
11-17-2015, 12:31 PM
Door switch
Water flow sensor
Underside of the Pad01 controller to check the access lead hasn't shaken loose.
it will be one or more of the above as the test function bypasses all of them except E-Stop

Thanks Dave!
I'll be attempting to figure out how to check those shortly :)

Bert Kemp
11-17-2015, 1:14 PM
water is easy ,,is the water flowing? if so its good LOL , left and right side of cover should have magnets that can be adjusted up and down to make contact . PAD01 is the digital display on top of laser wires are underneath the pad of course LOL

Bill George
11-17-2015, 1:27 PM
Lee you can have water flow and still have a bad flow sensor, when in doubt jump it out. Do the same for each sensor or switch, just one at a time until you find the one that is the problem.

But you said: Well I bypassed the E-stop switches this morning and I am now able to now fire the laser via the "test" button on the power supply! I still cannot fire the laser via the control panel. What would be the next logical step for a newbie like me to check?

My other suggestion is the PS test button would have worked without bypassing the E-Stop switches and you missed jumping the bad one so the Control Panel button still won't work.

Bert Kemp
11-17-2015, 2:55 PM
I didn't know that, my baddd

Lee you can have water flow and still have a bad flow sensor, when in doubt jump it out. Do the same for each sensor or switch, just one at a time until you find the one that is the problem.

But you said: Well I bypassed the E-stop switches this morning and I am now able to now fire the laser via the "test" button on the power supply! I still cannot fire the laser via the control panel. What would be the next logical step for a newbie like me to check?

My other suggestion is the PS test button would have worked without bypassing the E-Stop switches and you missed jumping the bad one so the Control Panel button still won't work.

Lee DeGraff
11-17-2015, 4:59 PM
Thanks guys! This is probably a dumb question but when you say "jumper" is this what you mean?325463

When inspecting that 6 pin terminal it looks as though the WP and G already has a "jumper". If that is what you're referring to, I found on the RabbitLaser website FAQ they recommend doing this to check the entire electrical safety system.

When testing the other switches, where does the other end of the jumper plug in to?

About the water pump sensor, the hoses are hooked up correctly and I'm assuming the sensor is good as the control panel beeps at me and gives me an error if I don't have the chiller turned on. Is this a false confirmation of a good sensor?

Bill George
11-17-2015, 7:40 PM
Thanks guys! This is probably a dumb question but when you say "jumper" is this what you mean?325463

When inspecting that 6 pin terminal it looks as though the WP and G already has a "jumper". If that is what you're referring to, I found on the RabbitLaser website FAQ they recommend doing this to check the entire electrical safety system.

When testing the other switches, where does the other end of the jumper plug in to?

About the water pump sensor, the hoses are hooked up correctly and I'm assuming the sensor is good as the control panel beeps at me and gives me an error if I don't have the chiller turned on. Is this a false confirmation of a good sensor?

A jumper wire is usually a piece of insulated flexible wire with a insulated alligator clip at each end. You can make your own or buy pre-built as Radio Shack used to sell. If you need more information on how to use then perhaps a Chinese laser was not the right purchase for you. Opps sorry, anyway it is used to jumper across the terminals of a switch to make it appear to the system that it is working.

Lee DeGraff
11-17-2015, 9:36 PM
lol thanks Bill, I've used the concept just didn't know the terminology :) I wonder why my WP and G are jumped currently, haven't seen that on any diagrams I've looked at. Anyway, I appreciate all of your feedback! Hopefully I'll be up and running by the end of the week

Lee DeGraff
11-18-2015, 8:38 AM
SOLVED! You guys got me examining those input wires going into the PSU and I found one that was loose. Tightened it up and all good! Of course it was that easy.... Thanks!

Dave Sheldrake
11-18-2015, 12:25 PM
SOLVED! You guys got me examining those input wires going into the PSU and I found one that was loose. Tightened it up and all good! Of course it was that easy.... Thanks!

welcome to the world of Chinese lasers brother :) while you are in the cabinet it will be a good idea to check ALL terminal screws for security too.

WP & G have been jumped to bypass the water flow sensor by the look of it (not the best thing to have but functional)

keep an eye on the water flow as it looks like you will get no warning if it goes wrong

Jeff Body
11-18-2015, 1:04 PM
welcome to the world of Chinese lasers brother :) while you are in the cabinet it will be a good idea to check ALL terminal screws for security too.

WP & G have been jumped to bypass the water flow sensor by the look of it (not the best thing to have but functional)

keep an eye on the water flow as it looks like you will get no warning if it goes wrong

My WP is run through the controller and was jumped at the PSU. There's a few different ways to wire it up.

Lee DeGraff
11-18-2015, 5:11 PM
Well if I try to fire my laser without the chiller on, it beeps at me and says water flow error or something... so something is still working... guess I'll leave that one alone :)

Bill George
11-18-2015, 7:44 PM
Well if I try to fire my laser without the chiller on, it beeps at me and says water flow error or something... so something is still working... guess I'll leave that one alone :)
Smart. Happy lasering to you. PS Check the rest of those connections, even with the hot glue stuff strung all over the wires the screws can still be loose.