PDA

View Full Version : Cockspur Island Lighthouse

Wes Ramsey
11-16-2015, 11:50 PM
When I was about my older boy Stone's age (8) my family spent some time in a B&B in Savannah, GA, and my whole life I've had such a fond memory of the ancient and majestic live oaks that, to me and my mind's eye, characterize that fine city. I've always wanted to go back and see if those trees really WERE that big and if they all still had that spooky-looking Spanish moss hanging from them. This summer my wife, boys, mom and sister all spent a week on Tybee Island, GA, and we were able to spend some time walking the streets of Savannah. And yes, those majestic live oaks were still there, just as big as I remembered, and all with Spanish moss. Each time we drove out to the island you could see the old lighthouse off in the distance. I actually rented a kayak and went fishing for reds by the lighthouse (only caught one, and it was plenty!), but my sister took my mom and Stone on a guided kayak tour around the lighthouse and he was actually brave enough to climb up in it.

I wanted to turn something special for each of us to remember the trip by, but by the time I came up with any ideas all I could find was a section of Queen Palm. I had an inkling to rough out some pieces and have them stabilized, but then Steven Graham posted something on here about his live oak haul. A few weeks later I had a box of it in the mail, and last week I finally got around to working up a piece, and here is the result. These will be Christmas ornaments. This one is a bit on the heavy side, but it will get the job done. I will hollow the next 5 a bit more to reduce weight.

I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I'm sure it will be a cherished reminder of a special time with the family for many years to come.

Anyway, here is my scale-ish model of the Cockspur Island lighthouse in live oak with a single application of Danish oil. It is about 4.25" tall and about 1.25" at the base. When I get them all done I'll do 3-4 applications of DO and Beall buff.

Roger Chandler
11-17-2015, 8:08 AM
Very nice, Wes! Great story on the background.....gives the why of it, and I have to agree that these will be cherished by your family members, My wife collects lighthouses......has two curio cabinets full of them. I like to see this, especially since you were able to get some live oak for them........pretty special, I say! Nice!

Pat Scott
11-17-2015, 9:37 AM
I agree, cool story and I like the lighthouse. Memories everytime you look at it.

Jim Sevey
11-17-2015, 2:18 PM
That's very cool. I like projects with a meaning. That would make a great pepper grinder design.

Steve H Graham
11-18-2015, 5:10 PM
That's pretty cool. I'm glad you found the wood useful. It's certainly interesting to look at. I didn't realize it had those natural blotches in it.

Wes Ramsey
11-19-2015, 12:03 AM
That's pretty cool. I'm glad you found the wood useful. It's certainly interesting to look at. I didn't realize it had those natural blotches in it.

Thanks Steve! I really hope you enjoy the box of wood I sent you in return.

The dark spots are the heart wood. I centered my spurs on the heart rather than quartering it and removing the heart wood. I've done that on a few HFs and I really like the results, though on the larger pieces I haven't gotten them thin enough to avoid splits. Still working on that part :) For these, the wood is stout enough and small enough I'm not worried about it splitting.

Steve H Graham
11-20-2015, 1:27 PM
I made the base for my tool rest from that stuff, and it hasn't split, but it did warp slightly. Not enough to matter.